News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT!

Started by Murphy, December 19, 2017, 12:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murphy

My obi 100 service was cut off and I was told I had to buy a 200, which I did, but now read that is not true? So, my service was cut out before Christmas (gee thanks) and I have an emergency I need to call with no service. Got my new 200, with no replacement instructions on how to keep my google voice number, or set up. Called an emailed several times with no call backs or help of any kind. Will be returning product, can't use without setup instructions.

drgeoff

Calamity!  All the world's search engines are broken again.

There is a Quick Start Guide in the box which tells you how to get it connected to the Obitalk portal.  That is also available at http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBi200QSG.pdf.

Full tutorial for getting a GV number and configuring is at http://www.obihai.com/tutorial1.  If you already have a GV number you can go to http://www.obihai.com/tutorial/ngvtutorial1

GPz1100

I bet some here could make a few bucks by offering personal assistance guidance in settings these things up.

$65/ 1 hr session?

SteveInWA

Quote from: GPz1100 on December 19, 2017, 01:29:07 PM
I bet some here could make a few bucks by offering personal assistance guidance in settings these things up.

$65/ 1 hr session?

Believe it or not, I actually did that for a year or so, a few years back; $25/half-hour Hangouts video session.  A few people really appreciated it.

Many people who have little to no tech skills are lured to Google Voice and OBi as some sort of "free telephone company" by Obihai's ads.  They are not willing to pay any money for support at all.  Just think about all the people angrily posting here that their 100 or 110 stopped working, and won't pay to upgrade, and can't figure out how to get GVGW working.

GPz1100

Video session as in you're able to see their desktop or just the recipient?

I imagine you'd need to be seeing what they're looking at to walk them through the process effectively.

Some years back I used to flash verizon 4g lte phones to 3g (for use on mvno's before lte was supported).  I'd typically charge $40-65 a flash depending how involved the flash was.  Teamviewer was used on both ends so I could interact with the phone while it was plugged into the customer's pc usb port.  Of course the customer would be on the phone with me while the phone was programmed.  There were tasks that had to be physically done to the phone before I could connect to it.

The bulk of the time was often spent setting up the environment so the pc would properly see the phone.

I suppose the process could be broken down into some sort of efficient manner to do this remotely.

SteveInWA

I only did screen-sharing once or twice.  Generally, we just talked "face to face" over Hangouts video.  They were mostly people who wanted more than just simple setup instructions, or they had some complex Google Voice problem that was just too much trouble for them to work out via forum posts.  They were happy to pay for consulting.  They also had related questions about use cases, often for business, or wanted to explore non-Google Voice solutions.