January 19, 2018, 05:32:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential new OBi1xx firmware  (Read 2667 times)
Mango

« on: December 21, 2017, 03:28:46 pm »

Some users on DSLReports believe they've been able to patch the OBi1xx firmware to work with Google's new certificates.  There's also speculation that using a similar technique, it will be possible to configure OBi1xx devices to work with Google Voice without using the OBiTALK portal.

I realize Google has either rolled out old certificates or made them available due to load balancing, however the user in question removed the Equifax certificate and was not able to log in to the old servers.  So, I believe things are working as he intends.

This is still in the early stages of development, so making this upgrade requires a fair amount of technical knowledge - for the moment.  I'm optimistic things will improve over the coming days.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31741105-ObiHAI-Obi100-Obi110-Firmware-Mod-Discussion

drgeoff
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 04:22:32 pm »

Obihai may come to rue the day that their decision not to make an updated firmware available spurred others to find the key to Pandora's box.
BachPhi

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 04:50:02 pm »

The old OBI1xx now is working again mysteriously!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:33:47 pm by BachPhi » Logged
drgeoff

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 01:19:21 am »

The old OBI1xx now is working again mysteriously!
@BachPhi
Lots of people have already posted about that.  There have even been posts explaining why.
WelshPaul
OBi Phone Beta Tester

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 07:45:42 am »

I don't think OBIHAI have anything to worry about. The hassle of tearing down an obsolete device and using a flash programmer to direct flash a modified firmware version would be beyond the limits of most OBi users.

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com
drgeoff

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 07:53:56 am »

I don't think OBIHAI have anything to worry about. The hassle of tearing down an obsolete device and using a flash programmer to direct flash a modified firmware version would be beyond the limits of most OBi users.
I think there is more to it than that:

1.  OBihai may be in breach of the GPL.  Not just for the 100 series but all its ATAs and IP phones.  That has more implications that mere damage to reputation.

2.  Now that people who seem to know what they are doing are opening up the firmware it could bring to light some OBi know-how which its competitors would like to have.
WelshPaul
OBi Phone Beta Tester

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 08:08:13 am »

1.  OBihai may be in breach of the GPL.  Not just for the 100 series but all its ATAs and IP phones.  That has more implications that mere damage to reputation.

The key word here is 'may'. OBIHAI wouldn't be the first to breach the GPL! As for damage to reputation, well i'm guessing most users wouldn't care.

2.  Now that people who seem to know what they are doing are opening up the firmware it could bring to light some OBi know-how which its competitors would like to have.
So far they haven't achieved a great deal imo. I hope they do crack it though!!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:10:31 am by WelshPaul » Logged

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com
Judgeless

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 10:20:29 am »

You can download a file and upgrade the firmware using the web interface.  That is really easy.  There is no reason to directly program the flash.
drgeoff

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 10:26:45 am »

You can download a file and upgrade the firmware using the web interface.  That is really easy.  There is no reason to directly program the flash.
There are extra checks made on a file flashed that way.  Unless/until those are understood using the internal hardware interface bypasses some of them.
WelshPaul
OBi Phone Beta Tester

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 10:34:07 am »

You can download a file and upgrade the firmware using the web interface.  That is really easy.  There is no reason to directly program the flash.

No you can't. As drgeoff points out above, there are extra security checks made on any firmware files flashed via the web GUI.

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com
Judgeless

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 06:54:11 am »

No you can't. As drgeoff points out above, there are extra security checks made on any firmware files flashed via the web GUI.

They are called checksums.  They are not there for security reasons they are there to make sure the firmware is complete.  They can be calculated and put in the final image.  It is very possible to modify an existing image and pad it with a viable checksum.  I predict we will see it soon.
kevinds

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 01:03:37 pm »

They are called checksums.  They are not there for security reasons they are there to make sure the firmware is complete.  They can be calculated and put in the final image.  It is very possible to modify an existing image and pad it with a viable checksum.  I predict we will see it soon.

So you are confirming that the firmware files are not signed?  If you are, then I have to ask..  How do you know this?

Some are trying to confirm this, but if you actually already know, that would save some time..  lol
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 01:07:47 pm by kevinds » Logged
WelshPaul
OBi Phone Beta Tester

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 03:45:20 am »

Looks like they have indeed come up with a web GUI loadable firmware that fixes the GV issue. I have to say, i'm surprised because I was told that the firmware was signed a few years ago!

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com
Kage

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 07:57:20 am »

The poster naf uploaded newcerts3.fw but since obi100 is running fine at the moment I'll wait with the certs update. He says something about applying the patch against OBi110-1-3-0-2886.fw so I don't know if there's extra steps we would need to take or if all we would have to do is simply load his file via the GUI? The last thing I'd need to do is mess up this perfectly working box.
WelshPaul
OBi Phone Beta Tester

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 08:32:47 am »

Just installed it on a test device using the web GUI:

I was also able to flash back to the original OBIHAI firmware too!

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com
azrobert

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 08:45:43 am »

The last thing I'd need to do is mess up this perfectly working box.
Newcerts3 is a patch file. You need to apply that patch to the current build 2886 firmware then load the resulting patched file.
Kage

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 08:52:22 am »

Newcerts3 is a patch file. You need to apply that patch to the current build 2886 firmware then load the resulting patched file.
When I get the time I'll go through that thread because at the moment I haven't the slightest idea how to do that. Perhaps someone there will post simple instructions for us novices.

WelshPaul
OBi Phone Beta Tester

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 09:00:44 am »

The reason why you need to patch the firmware yourself is because of the possible legal issues regarding re-distributing a hacked or modified firmware owned by OBIHAI. However, many won't care and it won't be long before it's made available on the web!

I haven't posted the instructions because OBIHAI don't like people posting about how to hack their firmware, and understandably so. There could also be serious risks too when installing a modified firmware, keep that in mind too!

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com
Kage

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 09:21:53 am »

Agree about OBIHAI, they obviously don't want the older boxes updated. The instructions have been posted there so we'll see if OBIHAI makes a stink about it but once the genie's out of the bottle not much they can do.
WelshPaul
OBi Phone Beta Tester

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 10:58:14 am »

I guess they could block those devices from using the OBiTALK portal.  Huh

For everything VoIP
www.ukvoipforums.com
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: