News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Failed Factory Reset on 202

Started by ShawnInRC, December 21, 2017, 06:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnInRC

Anyone have any ideas about how to recover from a failed factory reset?  It was mostly working before I did the reset.  (I could place outbound calls, but inbound did not ring.)

No there is no dial tone and no response on either port.

Any tricks using the USB port to resurrect the device?  Can the sequence of flashes provide hints?

SteveInWA

Start here:  http://www.obihai.com/support/troubleshooting/start

There is a procedure to recover from corrupt firmware, which involves connecting to the OBi and (re)installing the firmware, but, to do it, the OBi at least needs to get an IP address assigned so you can get to its recovery web page.

Which reset procedure did you follow, the ***8 method, or the "paper clip" method?  If you didn't try the paper clip method, that would be your next step.

ShawnInRC

The paperclip method is what I used to do the initial failed reset.  I've tried to do it multiple times now, with the same result. 

I did see the procedure to reinstall firmware, but I don't have an active ethernet port.  I even tried to use Wireshark to find the address, but it is dead.  With no dial tone, I can't use the ***8 method either.

I tried to access the device on 192.168.10.1, as well as many other possible addresses, but the port is inoperable.

Other than the endless rebooting cycle, the device is unresponsive.  I'm wondering if I need to submit for a warranty replacement.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ShawnInRC on December 22, 2017, 09:59:07 AM
The paperclip method is what I used to do the initial failed reset.  I've tried to do it multiple times now, with the same result. 

I did see the procedure to reinstall firmware, but I don't have an active ethernet port.  I even tried to use Wireshark to find the address, but it is dead.  With no dial tone, I can't use the ***8 method either.

I tried to access the device on 192.168.10.1, as well as many other possible addresses, but the port is inoperable.

Other than the endless rebooting cycle, the device is unresponsive.  I'm wondering if I need to submit for a warranty replacement.

Absolutely -- if it's under warranty, open a ticket and get it replaced; it's dead.  Good luck!

ProfTech

If you aren't getting a dial tone the unit may indeed be dead, however if you have the Obi ethernet port connected to your router your symptom with the IP may not be a surprise. You may need to need to connect the Obi directly to your PC's ethernet port using a crossover cable. I don't remember the Obi's default address but you will need to set your PC to be one number off. ie, if the Obi uses 192.168.1.1 then set your PC for 192.168.1.2.  DHCP may not be working in the Obi.

*edited* I saw where you said the unit is endlessly rebooting. If that is the case your paperclip factory reset may not have worked. Be sure you follow the "red light" menu selection on the Obi web page listed above closely and make sure you hold the button down a long time. It should stop rebooting endlessly once you have correctly performed a factory reset. Also, once you reset to factory the unit should get an IP from your router and you should be able to access the web page without using a crossover cable. I've seen your symptoms actually on one of my own units.

SteveInWA

No dial tone and no IP address = dead.  There's no point to trying to fix the firmware; it's under warranty.

ProfTech

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 23, 2017, 10:21:23 AM
No dial tone and no IP address = dead.

If the unit is in a reboot loop you won't get an IP address or dial tone.

ShawnInRC

Thanks guys.  I'll submit for a warranty replacement.