News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls being dropped after ~1 minute

Started by Catzan, August 14, 2011, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catzan

Hi,

We have an Obi110, with Google Voice as the 1st service provider (default), and Verizon Fios as our 2nd service provider (until the switch of our phone# to callcentric is complete).

For the past 2-3 days, outgoing calls are now being dropped at somewhere around the 30second-1minute mark.

I'm not seeing a setting for this yet, despite a decent amount of poking around. 

Can someone please point me in the right direction??

Catzan

To clarify, every single outgoing call seems to be dropped. 

Last 2 were dropped at 20 seconds, and 40 seconds, respectively.

I'm thinking that this is an OBI110 issue because I don't see the same behavior when using Google Voice from my cell phone (which can use the same GV number).

jimates

Dropped calls are generally due to router issues. The first step we recommend is to eliminate the router and see if the problem remains.

connect the Obi directly to the modem and power cycle both devices.

Catzan

Hi Jimates,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Obi110 is already directly connected into the FIOS router (Actiontec MI424WR).  1) Re-cycled power on both the OBI and the router.  2) Reset the Obi to default "ObiTalk" settings.

Calls are still being dropped at the 40 second mark.  [This happened on both of the calls I tried this evening.]

How do I trace the cause enough to debug this?  [i.e. Is the Obi110 dropping the calls, or GV?]

Thanks,
Rick

RonR

Catzan,

Do you have the same problem on calls to **9 222 222 222?

Catzan

**9 222 222 222 seems to kickout after 1min 20 seconds.

New (and I think much worse) problem now....

1) Ripped out the Obi as a device from the obi talk portal.
2) Noticed that I must have pulled out the ethernet earlier, so re-connected it.
3) Device was still not working properly, so I tried to reset to the factory default firmware using ***81 (since couldn't get the paperclick to work).

Some issues:
a) Can't add back the Obi110 as a device, no matter what I do.  The call to the number (e.g. **5 7284) never succeeds.
   ---Tried this with the default firmware, or an upgrade to latest.
b) Hitting the IP address of the Obi110 (which I get from my router http page) gives me the message "index file not e"

Have I bricked the Obi110 now??? 

All I did was try to reset it....

I'd love to reset the whole sucker and start over, but haven't managed to do that no matter what I try.

RonR

It sounds like it's not talking to your Ethernet LAN reliably.  You might try a different Ethernet cable.

After power-cycling the OBi, see if it's getting an IP address by dialing ***1.

Using the reset button through the bottom, hold it depressed an extended period of time until you hear the relay click and the unit reboots.

Everton

Quote from: Catzan on August 15, 2011, 04:13:01 PM
Hi Jimates,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Obi110 is already directly connected into the FIOS router (Actiontec MI424WR).  

I think the Actiontec MI424WR has APPLICATION LEVEL GATEWAY (ALG) CONFIGURATION settings.  Try to disable the SIP ALG and SPI (if required) and test.  Also, do you have the most up-to-date firmware for the MI424WR?

Catzan

Hi RonR and Everton,

Even after a reboot of the Obi, ***1 causes a pause of ~10-20 seconds, a flash of the RED power LED, and then a dialtone.    ... Finally got the Obi to do a factory reset with the paperclip (was doing ***81 before which also works) but getting the RED LED as above after doing ***1 now, too.

Same thing happens when I try to add the Obi using "Add a device" on the ObiTalk portal.  Pause.  RED LED.  Dialtone.

On the Actiontec MI424WR, both MGCP and SIP Application Level Gateways (ALGs) are disabled.

Still getting "index file not e"   (enabled??) when trying the IP of the Obi directly.

Thanks for all the great thoughts.  Any more things to try would be very welcome as well.

The prognosis doesn't seem good at this point.

QBZappy

Catzan,

Hi. I think you have reached the point where you should ask the OBi support for some assistance. You are reporting some unusual symptoms. They are usually very responsive to email requests for help.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: Catzan on August 16, 2011, 07:51:08 PM
Even after a reboot of the Obi, ***1 causes a pause of ~10-20 seconds, a flash of the RED power LED, and then a dialtone.    ... Finally got the Obi to do a factory reset with the paperclip (was doing ***81 before which also works) but getting the RED LED as above after doing ***1 now, too.

Same thing happens when I try to add the Obi using "Add a device" on the ObiTalk portal.  Pause.  RED LED.  Dialtone.

The red LED you are seeing is when the OBi reboots.  It's normal for the OBi to reboot after being reset to factory defaults by any method.

A reboot is also normal when you add the OBi to the OBiTALK Web Portal or change settings from the there.  The OBi must reboot after any changes.

The OBi also reboots after changes occur to its networking status, such as losing or regaining its Ethernet connection.

With the OBi in a factory reset state, does dialing ***1 cause it to reboot?  It should not.  The OBi should report its current IP address or 0.0.0.0 if it has not yet obtained one.

Fred

I have had the Obi since last Friday and the first few days it worked without a problem.  Over the last few days calls received and calls that I make are being dropped after about 30-45 seconds.  Any ideas?

RonR

Quote from: Fred on August 24, 2011, 09:06:18 AM
I have had the Obi since last Friday and the first few days it worked without a problem.  Over the last few days calls received and calls that I make are being dropped after about 30-45 seconds.  Any ideas?

Try temporarily plugging the OBi directly into your broadband modem, eliminating your router.  Power-cycle both devices after making the connection.  If the problem goes away, your router is most likely the problem.

I've been using an OBi heavily since February and I never experience dropped calls.

Fred

I am having difficulty repeating this consistently.  I did repeat it yesterday with and without the router, and I'll post when I have more information. 

Catzan

Hi,

Some followup....

In trying to resolve the issues I was seeing with the Obi110, I had tried to reset the firmware to the default.  This caused the device to keep resetting itself no matter what basic thing I tried to do with it.

Finally tried Obi support as suggested above.  They had me try to reset with a paperclip again, and even hold the paperclip in as I powered it up (which sounds like a "deeper reset") but nothing worked.  They also had me try using another 12V power supply which didn't work either.

Today, at long last, they remote installed some beta firmware remotely, and that finally succeeded.

[Sort of makes you wonder whether you should rely on a device that's that "beta" for primary communication. I was ready to ask for a refund/replacement, or throw the thing out. Hoping for no more issues like this, and less time spent thinking about use of the Obi.]

Many thanks to all here that helped, and for Obi support for the eventual fix.