News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI phone does not ring

Started by rfanalytic, December 27, 2017, 05:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfanalytic

I have successfully set up the OBI202 with google voice.  I can dial out, works great! When I have another call the OBI phone (registered with google voice) it does ring the cell phone that I have - but it uses the cell phone # and hangouts at the same time, but the OBI phone does not ring. 

I also did the verify in google voice and have the forward to my cell.

I am uncertain of how to set this up.  I would like the cell phone and OBI phone to ring at the same time and which ever one is grabbed first to get the call.

Taoman

Quote from: rfanalytic on December 27, 2017, 05:21:18 PM

I also did the verify in google voice and have the forward to my cell.

Are you also forwarding to Google chat?

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

rfanalytic

I am not sure how to check that.

In the Hangouts configuration of Google Voice I do have
"Receiving Google Voice messages and voicemail in Hangouts"

SteveInWA

Google Hangouts calling operates independently of Google Voice -- there are no settings in Google Voice that control Hangouts calling behavior, and Hangouts has nothing to do with OBi operation.  OBi devices use the old, "Chat" XMPP protocol, and they act as Chat clients.  So, you must tell Google Voice to forward inbound calls to Chat, by checking the box to the left of Chat on the old, "Legacy" Google Voice user interface.

Note that the Google Voice initial signup flow has recently (within the past month) changed.  New users, who do not yet have an inbound Google Voice number, will not be able to set it up on the old Legacy web UI.  Instead, they will be intentionally directed to the new UI, which does not have a setting to forward to Chat.  After obtaining one of Google's free inbound phone numbers, and then optionally porting in a mobile number, you will be able to go to the Legacy UI and check the Chat box.

Taoman, this is why I mentioned months ago, that I was reluctant to post the redirection link:  while it does work today, only for established accounts, I don't know how much longer we'll be able to redirect via a URL.  Google plans to shut down the Legacy UI after all of the essential settings and features migrate over.  The billing section moved over recently, and the next thing to move over will likely be the voicemail settings.

rfanalytic

Resolved! 

Thank both of you for contributing to set up.  I appreciate very much. 

For those reading after, for now, you have to go into the settings menu on google voice, then legacy settings, then you have to click on the google voice number (near the bottom left) to bring up the menu to "check" the box for google chat.

Thank you