News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN

Started by bgswis, December 29, 2017, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgswis

When setting up my OBI there is a box for "7-Digit Dialing for USA & CAN".  I don't understand what they are asking.  How is this box used?  

Currently, when I call from my OBI I have to enter the area code even it's in my area code.  I would rather not enter the area code for local calls.  Is there a way to do that?

drgeoff

Zip codes are what the postal service uses!

Whatever 3 digits you enter in the "7 digit dialling" box will be automatically prepended to dialled 7 digit numbers.

Lavarock7

The Obi can be configured with that option you mentioned to take a 3 digit number (area code) and use that as the ares code for all 7 digit numbers. Thus entering 703 in the option would allow all 7 digit numbers to be dialed as 703-xxx-xxxx.

You local phone company knew what area codes are in your dialing area and thus in many cases, did not require you to dial an area code if two area codes covered the same physical area. Obi cannot do that and thus, if your local physical location includes (for example 703 and 804 area codes) you can choose one or the other to be 7-digit dialing. Numbers in the other area code would have to be dialed using all 10 digits.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

bgswis

Doh!   Area code, not zip code.  Fixed that.

Are you saying I should put my area code in the setting box?  Tried that.  Obi still requires me to dial the full 7 digits.  Is there any way I can make local calls without dialing area code first.

drgeoff

If you want to dial only 4 digits you'll need to use Expert mode on the portal.  Go to the PHONE port settings and modify its Digit Map.  Immediately after the opening ( insert
<321456>xxxx|
using the appropriate 6 digits where I have 321456.

You have not said which Internet Telephony Service Provider you are using.  If they require a leading 1 (ie 11 digits) insert a 1 after the <

bgswis

7 digit dialing setting in obi seems to work for me now.  I put my area code in the box and now I can dial local calls without entering my area code.  Seemed like it wasn't working before.  Thanks for replies.

SharonCN

I set up my system and entered my 3 digit area code in the box, but it doesn't work. I still have to dial all 11 digits. Is there a way I can go back and check to see if it saved the setting? or is there another way to do this? thanks!

azrobert

OBi Expert is another way to check/change the configuration. To enter OBi Expert from the Dashboard click on the gear ICON to the right of your OBixxx then select OBi Expert Config, confirm and select Enter OBi Expert.
To navigate click on the titles with the + then click on a sub-title.
Click on Service Providers then click ITSP Profile A General (assuming SP1 is your Primary Line).
To make a change or check value BOTH boxes to the right of the value must be unchecked.

The default DigitMap is:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Change it to:
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1AAA>xxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.)
Replace AAA with your area code.

Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
OBiTalk will download the configuration changes to the OBi and reboot it.