News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Direct But Do Not Forward

Started by ustrd003, January 02, 2018, 09:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ustrd003

I want to use my OBi like a home phone.  I have everything set up so it receives calls on my Google Voice number.  However, I don't want calls from my cell phone rolling over to it.  My purpose for getting it was that I turn the ringer off on my cellphone at night since I live in Hawaii I often get calls very early due to the time difference from the mainland.  This way I can give folks my Google Voice number if they need to reach me in an emergency.

I tried do not disturb, but when I do that, calls direct to the number don't ring either.  Anyone have this type of setup?

SteveInWA

If calls made directly to your cell phone are being forwarded to your Google Voice number, it's because you followed the instructions to set up Conditional Call Forwarding (CCF) on your cell phone, to send busy or unanswered calls back to the Google Voice number.

You need to disable CCF on your mobile phone (it's a feature of your mobile phone carrier's network, not GV).  Each mobile network has different codes to do this.  If you don't know how, then post your carrier name in your reply.

ustrd003

My provider is T-Mobile.  I set it up that way to use Google Voice for my voicemail.  So if I change the forwarding, I'm assuming I won't be able to do that? 

SteveInWA

I think you have a misunderstanding of how Google Voice works.  It's not a free telephone company; it's a call-forwarding service.  You have an inbound Google Voice telephone number.  That number can forward to up to six different 10-digit US landline or mobile phone numbers, and it can also forward to the old Google Chat (XMPP).  OBi devices are acting as Chat clients.  So, your OBi device is just another forwarding destination, in the same way as your T-Mobile number (they are peers).

GV forwards calls to all linked/forwarding destinations simultaneously.  There is no "rollover" or hunt group function.  GV is forwarding the calls directly to your cell phone, (not to the OBi, such that the OBi would forward the call to the cell phone number).

By default, GV will send calls that are unanswered in 25 seconds to GV voicemail.  If you have correctly set up CCF on your T-Mobile number, and you don't answer the call there, it will go to GV VM, too.

If you don't want your inbound GV calls to ring on your OBi and/or on your cell phone at night, you can set up a ring schedule.  Using a laptop or desktop computer, go to the old, Legacy version of the GV website, go to Settings->Phones, click the Edit button, click the "Show advanced settings" link, and set your schedule.

Taoman

Quote from: ustrd003 on January 02, 2018, 04:04:34 PM
My provider is T-Mobile.  I set it up that way to use Google Voice for my voicemail.  So if I change the forwarding, I'm assuming I won't be able to do that? 

You don't need to change your CCF forwarding. Go to Advanced settings for your cell phone in your Google Voice settings and make sure that under "Forwarding Options" you have it set to "Go straight to voicemail." See attached graphic.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on January 02, 2018, 04:51:22 PM
Quote from: ustrd003 on January 02, 2018, 04:04:34 PM

You don't need to change your CCF forwarding. Go to Advanced settings for your cell phone in your Google Voice settings and make sure that under "Forwarding Options" you have it set to "Go straight to voicemail." See attached graphic.

That's not what he appears to be asking, as far as I can tell.  So, no, you don't need to change CCF, but yes, you need to set a call schedule.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on January 02, 2018, 04:54:21 PM

That's not what he appears to be asking, as far as I can tell.  So, no, you don't need to change CCF, but yes, you need to set a call schedule.

I assumed as much but that's not the way I'm reading it. The OP will have to clarify.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on January 02, 2018, 04:56:30 PM
The OP will have to clarify.

Which accounts for my posting my initial solution, and then changing it, after the OP "clarified" it, which only made it more ambiguous.   ::) ::) ::)

ustrd003

Yeah, you got it.  When my cell phone rings and I don't answer, I want it to go right to my Google voicemail.  I don't see that option you mention on iOS though.

SteveInWA

Quote from: ustrd003 on January 02, 2018, 06:09:31 PM

Yeah, you got it.  When my cell phone rings and I don't answer, I want it to go right to my Google voicemail.  I don't see that option you mention on iOS though.

This is exactly how Google Voice works, by default, if you properly set up CCF.  That's the whole point of CCF.  You don't set it up on the Google Voice website.  You set it up on your T-Mobile phone.

On the phone's own telephone keypad, touch **004*1GGGGGGGGGG# where GGGGGGGGGG is your inbound Google Voice number.  Then, touch Send or Call, wait for confirmation and hang up.

Taoman

Quote from: ustrd003 on January 02, 2018, 06:09:31 PM
I don't see that option you mention on iOS though.

Go here:
https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

Click on Edit for your cell phone
Click on "Show advanced settings"
Select "Go straight to voicemail"