News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do I have to have a land line or simply DSL without a phone number

Started by Robind, January 10, 2018, 07:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robind

I currently have a landline with DSL. I am able to get my DSL without paying the extra to have a phone number, land line.
I do have my OBI hooked up and working good but I am afraid to tell the phone company to stop charging $35 for me to have a phone number because before I got OBI I had to have a phone in order to make Google Voice work.
Does OBI replace the need for a phone or does it still rely on that land line phone number. Can I divorce ma bell and her landline and just keep DSL or do I still need both a land line number AND DSL.
Thanks
Robind

SteveInWA

DSL service can be confusing.  It's because DSL technology piggy-backs on the same telephone line used for voice telephone service supplied by your telephone company.  Traditionally, people had "plain old telephone service" or POTS, and then they added DSL on top of it.  Telcos were reluctant to sell DSL without also selling a POTS telephone number and telephone service, too.

Later, most telcos started offering "naked" DSL.  This means:  you still have wires coming into your house from that telco, but the dial tone and telephone number are turned off.  The wires are acting only as a data line, into a DSL modem.  It's up to you to contact your telco to find out if they offer DSL without voice telephone service, and to insist that they check into it further if they initially give you the brush-off.

OBi devices use Voice over IP (VoIP) technology, to make and receive calls over internet data connections.  So, if your telco offers naked DSL, then yes, you can dump their POTS service and just use VoIP over your DSL service.

Keep in mind, however, that depending on the VoIP service provider you are using with your OBi, it may or may not support emergency (911) calling.  Google Voice doesn't.  SIP VoIP service providers generally do, often for a separate small fee.  You need some way to call 911.  Don't cancel your POTS landline service until you have some other means of calling 911.

Robind

Thank you Steve.
I have already checked to see if Centurylink offers naked service. They do, but when I called them and told them I wanted to disconnect they asked why and I told them I had Google voice. Well, they set me straight and asked if I was absolutely  sure I didn't need a POTS.
Of course in my most confident voice I said "I think so" ;-). Well as you can tell by this post....they talked me into keeping the phone number.
I'm pretty smart though....I knew to ask someone NOT associated with the telco.;-)
Thanks again Steve in  WA. I do have confidence now.....I am cutting the cord, well at least to the dial tone...
I also am aware of the 911 issue but I found for a few bucks a year I can add that so my wife can call 911 next time I fall off the roof;-)