News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 with Google Voice not working with ported in numbers.

Started by LV2FLY, January 10, 2018, 08:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LV2FLY

I can't get my new OBI202 to work with Google Voice and numbers I've ported into Good Voice.

1)   Setup with a Google Voice number originating from Google Voice and everything work correctly.  I can make and receive calls without a problem.

2)   Setup with Google Voice a number I ported into Google Voice and I cannot make or receive calls.  Call made to these number will forward to the appropriate "Linked: number without a problem.

3)   I've tested using two numbers originating from Google Voice and two number I ported into Google voice.  

4)   All numbers are on separate accounts.  All numbers do receive the calls into Google Voice, play the greeting and log the calls.

5)      Google Chat is enable on all 4 test phone numbers.

Anyone have any ideas?  The only obvious difference is the ported in versus not ported in numbers. Thanks!!

SteveInWA

You've lumped together too many factors in your simple "ported-in vs. not ported-in" analysis.  By itself, there is no reason whatsoever that there would be a difference.  However, if you ported in a number within the last couple of days, it's been common to have problems receiving calls on the ported-in number, due to problems with the number porting system and the carriers who are using that system.

You need to troubleshoot this systematically.  First, you need to determine if the inbound Google Voice number (regardless of whether you obtained it from Google's pool of free numbers, or you paid to port it in) is actually receiving inbound calls at the point of entry into GV's switch.  To do this:  go to Google Voice settings, and temporarily turn on "do not disturb".  Call the GV number from some other number, not another GV number, nor from one of the linked/forwarding numbers on that account.  For example, have a friend, family member or co-worker call it from their cell phone.

The expected behavior is that the caller will be sent directly to Google Voice voicemail.  If that works, then the inbound GV number is provisioned properly and working properly.  If the caller experiences some other behavior (busy signal, dead air, recorded error message), then there's a carrier problem.

Turn off do not disturb mode.  Repeat the test call(s).  The expected behavior is that all forwarding destinations should simultaneously ring, including all linked phone numbers, Hangouts and Chat/OBi.  If not, you may have forgotten to add a check mark to the left of Chat in the old, "Legacy" Google Voice settings.

If the call(s) correctly reach the account's GV VM when DND is enabled, but not when DND is disabled, then the problem is with one of the linked/forwarding destinations.  Inbound GV numbers can forward to up to six 10-digit US phone numbers, and/or to Google Hangouts, and/or to Google Chat (XMPP) clients.  OBi devices act as Google Chat clients.

LV2FLY

Thank you for your response.

1)   The 2 ported numbers were ported in 4 year ago.
2)   I called from a non-GV linked cell phone for testing. When DND is turned on calls go directly to VM.  When DND is turned off calls ring for a period of time and the go to VM. 
3)   As listed in #5 my previous post Google Chat is enabled on all 4 lines.

All appears to be functioning properly per the testing instructions you provided.  Thanks for the ideas!

SteveInWA

IF the failing numbers can successfully receive and forward inbound calls to a standard 10-digit land line or mobile phone number, then you have some sort of OBi problem.  Either you've made some invalid configuration changes on the OBi, or it has some corrupted configuration data left behind from previous settings changes.  About all you can do is to delete the OBi from the OBiTALK dashboard, restore it to factory defaults, and then set it up again from scratch.

LV2FLY

the same in either case.

I just added a Google generated number to a @XYZ.com GV account and the OBI202 did not work as expected.  Yet, the calls were forward to two cell phones without any problems.

Scenarios:

1)   User@Gmail.com with a Google assigned number works as expected.
2)   User@Gmail.com with a ported number. (Untested)
3)   User@XYZ.com with a Google assigned number does not work as expected.
4)   User@XYZ.com with a Google assigned number does not work as expected.

I'm wondering if the OBI202 is expecting a @Gmail.com domain default for Google Chat addresses?

Thanks for your help!

drgeoff

LV2FLY

Great thougth! Just checked and and "yes" it is.

HardwareVersion   1.4
SoftwareVersion   3.2.1 (Build: 5775EX)

Thanks!

LV2FLY

[RESOLVED]

It appears OBITalk expects the Google Chat address to use the @Gmail.com domain versus @MyDomain.com. 

The background is I've had Google hosting a domain for me with a number of user accounts on the domain for a couple of year now.  Each user has a valid Google Email & Voice account.  The @MyDomain.com GV accounts all function as expected being able to receive, forward and originate calls.  The Google Chat address is username@MyDomain.com and not username@Gmail.com.

Google Voice numbers using a Google Chat address username@MyDomain.com do not work.  I moved that same Google Voice phone number to a standard Gmail account with a Google Chat address of username@Gmail.com and it worked.

Based on limited testing it appears there is some type of incompatibility with OBITalk and Google Voice accounts with Google Chat addresses not using the Gmail.com domain.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions.