News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outbound calling / talking is jittery

Started by smithdm122, January 11, 2018, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithdm122

I just purchased and installed the OBI200 and set it up to use with Google Voice.  I've been told that when talking to someone, they will hear some jitter / garble.  My Internet bandwidth is 25Mb / 5Mb and I get pretty close to that when running a speed test.  I've setup QoS on my Internet router (Netgear R6400).  I think this actually may be a problem with Google Voice itself.  I used the voice app to place a call from my phone (using my Google voice number) and using 4G LTE as the Internet (bypassing my home  network).  The user on the other end of the call said they were hearing the jitter with that as well.  I never hear any jitter when they are talking to me.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

drgeoff

Not a fix, but a diagnostic  Try some test calls without your router.  Connect the OBi directly to your internet connection (modem).  If you changed the OBi from default DHCP to static IP revert it to DHCP before disconnecting the Netgear.  In either case you need to reboot the OBi.

smithdm122

Thanks for your reply.  I would think that using the Google voice app on my cell  phone (connected to 4G) would essentially do the same think (bypassing home network and home ISP).  Yet calls still experience jitter.  That to me indicates an issue more with Google voice?

drgeoff

Quote from: smithdm122 on January 13, 2018, 03:57:45 AM
Thanks for your reply.  I would think that using the Google voice app on my cell  phone (connected to 4G) would essentially do the same think (bypassing home network and home ISP).  Yet calls still experience jitter.  That to me indicates an issue more with Google voice?
If you think that the problem is with GoogleVoice, then their forum is surely a more appropriate place to ask.  https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice
(The forum software is not parsing the whole string as a URL so you'll need to copy and paste it into a browser.)