News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

weirdness using portal and firwmare updates

Started by jentzd, January 11, 2018, 07:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jentzd

This is only for obi1000 series phones, my 202s seem to be unaffected.

Not sure of any functional deficiency that this is causing. Don't really use google voice.

Have a whole office full of phones. Saw the recent indicator for new firmware via the obi portal - so went ahead and clicked it for each obi phone, 1 by 1.

Got a successful update message for each. It "seems" like the update took. But after a day or so it seems that some phones have the same firmware update avaialable all over again.

Logging in to the status page of the phones, looks like the ones that have 5.1.10 (Build: 4788EX.1311) are marked as need to be updated, but  5.1.7 (Build: 4666EX.1311) are marked as OK.

Wouldn't the Higher firmware be better, not the reverse? Is anyone else seeing this?

jentzd

one additional weirdness, why would some phones be "sticking" on the "updated" firmware, and others not? all settings are the same w/ regards to provisioning.

jentzd

Quote from: jentzd on January 11, 2018, 07:25:01 PM
one additional weirdness, why would some phones be "sticking" on the "updated" firmware, and others not? all settings are the same w/ regards to provisioning.

ah, can answer this one at least. as soon as the phone is rebooted a second time, the update firmware icon comes back. i guess not all phones had had their second reboot yet.

highpks

Same weirdness happened to me. 5.1.10 jumped back to 5.1.7

jentzd

Due to some bugs, (was having issues with phones rebooting mid call or immediately after blind xfer) I have gone back to the old firmware for my entire office of 1000 series phones.

http://fw.obihai.com/OBiPhone-5-1-7-4666EX.fw

Would sure be nice if the firmwares were regression tested before pushing them out to the masses!!

Was able to reproduce the issue 100% of the time on the 5.1.10 firmware
and
0% of the time on the 5.1.7 firmware.

Make sure to disable auto firmware updates.
All fixed.

chrizzle

I am having similar "weirdness" with my 212 and my 1022. I have had both devices working fine for years, but as of some time this past Sunday morning, neither device seems to be able to connect to the Internet.

My 212 is acting as a router for a section of my LAN devoted to VOIP devices. If I plug a computer in to the LAN side of the 212 I am able to pull an IP and ping the LAN side address ( 192.168.212.1 ) of the 212. From the WAN side I can ping the static IP that I assigned to the 212 ( 192.168.1.212 ) but I cannot ping an Internet IP ( 8.8.8.8 ) from the LAN side of the 212.

If I plug my 1022 directly into the switch for the internal network ( 192.168.1.0/24 ) the phone pulls an IP but does not register any of my GV or SIP accounts (VOIP.ms and Simonics). If I plug the phone into the LAN side of the 212, it pulls an IP, and a computer plugged into the switch port of the 1022 also pulls an IP, but I cannot ping an Internet IP.

I flashed the firmware on both devices to the latest versions listed here:  https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

Still no Internet connectivity. Obviously the ObiTalk portal lists both devices as offline. I have a number of other devices working fine on the internal network (192.168.1.0/24) but not the 212 or the 1022. If it were just one of the two devices I would not be so suspicious.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

drgeoff

First a couple of BTWs.

1. Your "weirdness" is totally unrelated to that discussed in the other posts in this thread.

2.  Using the 212 as a router for a VoIP section of your network is probably pointless.  If you are doing that for QoS reasons you need the other traffic generating sources also going through the 212.  I don't know the specs of the 212 but if they are similar to those of the 202, then the throughput is only 30 Mbit/s or so.  So I would put everything direct to your main router (and use its QoS if desired and available) or if it is convenient from a wiring viewpoint to use both ethernet jacks on the 212, then change the 212 from router mode to bridge mode.  That turns it into an ethernet switch with no routing, no NAT, no DHCP server etc.  Everything on your 192.168.1 subnet.

To your original problem.

3.  Disconnect the 212 and put the 1022 phone directly to your router.  Reboot the router.  Wait for it to be become ready and reboot the 1022.  Does it still fail to register all the accounts?

chrizzle

1. I thought a box working for years catching an update and quitting made it related. I guess it's not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. The point is organization, segmentation, and conserving ports on a "real" router. To each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Yeah I did all of that stuff on Sunday with no luck. I left my 1022 powered off while I was at work all day and it seems to be talking to the world again while plugged into my internal network switch. I am going to try the same with the 212 to see if it's just one of those things.