News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Block \ Filter unwanted callers?

Started by lawman2112, August 16, 2011, 01:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawman2112

Right now I use my Google voice as an answering machine for a few debt collectors.  Am I still able to filter these calls and have them go straight to voicemail rather than have my home phone ring?

RonR

Yes.  Any callers that are blocked at the Google Voice web site will continue to go directly to voicemail and will not reach the OBi.

lawman2112

Thx for replying....  But do I have to do anything special to those unwanted numbers in GV to get them to go straight to voicemail?

RonR

Google Voice offers the ability to block unwanted callers at your Google Voice account web page.  Nothing is changed when using the OBi.  Callers you have blocked at your Google Voice account will go directly to Google Voice voicemail and the OBi will not receive those calls.  It's exactly the same as if you were using Google Voice with a POTS line or a cell phone.

lawman2112

To be sure..  If I choose the option to "Block caller" it will go straight to my voicemail?  I still want to collect the messages from these people and dont want to send their calls into oblivion.  I thought the "block caller" features gives them a message about an incorrect circuit..  or something of that nature

RonR

You're right, blocking a caller will send them to a recording and not voicemail.  Marking the caller as SPAM may be what you want.  None of this has anything to do with the OBi.  These features are handled by Google Voice.  For accurate information on Google Voice features, you probably should consult the Google Voice Help area of your Google Voice account.

pc44

Quote from: lawman2112 on August 16, 2011, 01:47:26 PM
To be sure..  If I choose the option to "Block caller" it will go straight to my voicemail?  I still want to collect the messages from these people and dont want to send their calls into oblivion.  I thought the "block caller" features gives them a message about an incorrect circuit..  or something of that nature

To quote Google Voice's help page:

Choose one of these options from the drop-down menu:

• Send to Voicemail: None of your phones will ring, but the caller will be prompted to leave you a voicemail message.
  • Treat as Spam: The caller will hear ringing and then be prompted to leave you a voicemail message. None of your phones will ring. The voicemail will be automatically marked in your inbox as Spam, and you won't receive a notification for the voicemail.
  • Block Caller: The caller will hear a 'Number not in service' message when calling your Google number. None of your phones will ring. The call will be marked as 'Blocked' under 'History' and 'Missed.'

More info here: Blocking unwanted calls

Hope it helps,
pc44