News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden error

Started by Kage, June 12, 2023, 06:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kage

My setup has two google voice accounts, one with an incoming number and the other without. In the last few days the account without the number won't connect and is giving me the dreaded "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden  (server=216.239.36.145; retry in 115s)" error.

Does anyone know if Google is suddenly enforcing the requirement to have an incoming number to connect with obi or could it be some other reason?

jeflad

I have same issue. I have SP2 configured for Google Voice which is only used for outbound calls. I tried deleting and re-adding by status indicates "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden"

Italian

I am having the same problem. I tried to place a call with that google voice line that didn't have a number assigned from the google voice app on my phone and it's not allowing me to call either. I never tried that before, so I am not sure if it's related, but I used to be able to dial out that line using hangouts.
Did the google voice app allow outgoing calls without a number assigned?

Kage

Quote from: Italian on June 15, 2023, 11:28:16 AMDid the google voice app allow outgoing calls without a number assigned?

No it hasn't for a while, at least a year that's why I think this error is related. I used that account for those times when I preferred to remain anonymous because giving everyone your incoming number inevitably leads to massive spamming.

Kage

Quote from: Miguelwatson on June 14, 2023, 02:28:29 AMTo get a more definitive answer and resolve the issue, it would be best to reach out to Google Support or consult relevant forums or communities where users share similar experiences with Google Voice and Obi setups.

Thanks for your response, I do intend to keep an eye on the google forums to see if others are recently experiencing this problem.

Italian

If anyone comes across a solution or even an explanation for this, please post it here as well.

-TJ-

I am experiencing the very same issue since a few days prior for the first time after many years of trouble free connection. I too, have only outbound with no Google number.
Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden (server=216.239.36.145; retry in 98s).

Taoman

Quote from: -TJ- on June 19, 2023, 08:58:13 AMI too, have only outbound with no Google number.

And therein lies the problem. Google no longer supports voicemail only (no GV number) accounts. It appears they are now enforcing it. Similar complaints on Reddit and GV support forums.

If you wish to continue using Google Voice you must get a GV number.

alivoiper

I have the same issue and found a workaround.

I have two Obi2182 phones. One that is on my work desk and one that I use outside during the summer. I hadn't used the summer one since last year. When I plugged it back in all the SP were not working. Apparently if you don't use a phone for a while, you need to remove all the SP and then register them again.

I had one line that I used like many people above - I didn't want people to see my caller ID. So I added a voice line to that SP and went into google voice settings and changed a setting that blocked all outgoing caller ID. Problem solved.

Kage

Quote from: alivoiper on June 20, 2023, 11:34:53 AMI had one line that I used like many people above - I didn't want people to see my caller ID. So I added a voice line to that SP and went into google voice settings and changed a setting that blocked all outgoing caller ID. Problem solved.

At first I couldn't get "Anonymous caller ID" to stay on for some reason in the account that has an incoming number, it kept turning off but after creating a new Firefox profile and using that it is now staying on. So that might be the answer, I'll try that with the other account after getting a phone number for it. Thanks for letting us know.

dave.n

Since June 12, Google Voice has failed to connect for my account with a "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden" error.
I also have Google Voice with no number, used for outgoing calls only.
I've factory reset, remove the Obi200 from OBItalk portal, removed Google Voice TM from myaccount.google.com/connections, and removed the Obi200 from voice.google.com/settings.
On reprovisioning, Google Voice TM does get added to myaccount.google.com, but the Obi200 does not get added to voice.google.com.  The 403 error is unchanged.
As a Canadian I can't (easily) get a number added to Google Voice.
Oh well, it was good while it lasted...

Taoman

Quote from: dave.n on June 27, 2023, 07:17:24 PMI also have Google Voice with no number, used for outgoing calls only.
From what I've read GV accounts with no number are no longer supported. You need to add a number to that account for it to work again. Are you using a VPN to access GV?

Italian

Quote from: alivoiper on June 20, 2023, 11:34:53 AMlike many people above - I didn't want people to see my caller ID. So I added a voice line to that SP and went into google voice settings and changed a setting that blocked all outgoing caller ID. Problem solved.

That's partially true, but when you call a toll free number, your number is not blocked anymore.

Kage

Quote from: Italian on July 23, 2023, 08:48:12 AMThat's partially true, but when you call a toll free number, your number is not blocked anymore.

Not only that but since I don't have a mobile or landline number it's impossible to even get a Google Voice number for the account. I'd have to go through the trouble of purchasing some cheap At&t prepaid cell phone and sim card, get a verifiable number then maybe Google will give me one. Not sure it's worth it. 

Lavarock7

Quote from: alivoiper on June 20, 2023, 11:34:53 AMI have two Obi2182 phones. One that is on my work desk and one that I use outside during the summer. I hadn't used the summer one since last year. When I plugged it back in all the SP were not working. Apparently if you don't use a phone for a while, you need to remove all the SP and then register them again.

I have not had that issue with my Obi devices (110, 200, 202, 1022 and 2182s.

I would suspect the DNS settings and whether the original server addresses were IP rather than names.For example, Voip.Ms has changed their server IP addresses and I believe they may do the same this soon in a European data center.

If you had multiple providers all stop, it sounds like a DNS issue. Did you receive an error message before reconfiguring?
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

srikanta4u

Hi team, good morning. I have OBI200 . I used to use this till 2019 and did not use that afterwards. I am trying to configure and getting "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden" error.
1. I have done reset few times
2. have deleted and readded the device few times
3. have changed the google account as well.

Still not working.

I talked to OBI support folks and they have pushed latest firmware (i believe).
Now they are saying I need to reach out to google voice team.
Any help.

drgeoff

Quote from: srikanta4u on September 12, 2023, 10:41:58 AMHi team, good morning. I have OBI200 . I used to use this till 2019 and did not use that afterwards. I am trying to configure and getting "Connect Failed: 403 Forbidden" error.
1. I have done reset few times
2. have deleted and readded the device few times
3. have changed the google account as well.

Still not working.

I talked to OBI support folks and they have pushed latest firmware (i believe).
Now they are saying I need to reach out to google voice team.
Any help.

1.  What firmware is on the device now?  GV requires at least the latest public release which is 3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX).

2.  How long is it since you last successfully used the GV accounts.  I believe Google terminates and reclaims numbers which have not been used for a while.