News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Support Click-to-Dial Applications

Started by psichel, August 17, 2011, 08:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psichel

I'm the developer of Phone Amego which provides on-screen caller ID, click-to-dial, Google Voice, and Macintosh integration.  <http://www.sustworks.com/pa_guide/index.html>

I have added Caller ID support for the OBi110 and would like to add a click-to-dial feature.  I am looking for a way to initiate a call from a LAN host (via the Web User Interface) as if it had been dialed from the PHONE port. More specifically, many of my customers are currently using a USB modem to dial for a landline phone. I would love to recommend the more capable OBi110 telephone adaptor in place of a USB modem if there is a way to have it dial a call on behalf of the PHONE port from the Web UI.

If the PHONE port is already "off hook", the behavior should be similar to having dialed the call directly from the PHONE port.

If the PHONE port is "on hook", ideally the PHONE port would ring to signal a call is available.

If a call is already in progress on the PHONE port, any keypad symbols should be sent as touch tones for access to remote telephone services.

It would be even more cool if I could setup a call between any two phone terminals such the LINE port and a remote OBi Endpoint (like OBiON running on an iPhone) allowing click-to-dial from your Address Book or Outlook for almost any phone.

There is a substantial market for computer integrated call monitoring and dialing. The OBi110 could be way ahead of anything else currently available.

Respectfully Submitted,

- Peter Sichel
  Sustainable Softworks

QBZappy

psichel,

Hi,

I'm not familiar with your product, however If OBi had a Mac version of their OBiApp and if your product had sip softphone ability, you could use their OBiAPP middleware software to do pretty much all of what you are asking. This could give you another approach, one perhaps you had not yet considered. From your comments, I can see that your mindset is on using a modem  rather than SIP approach.

People have requested a Mac version of the OBiAPP. Third party developers like yourself add a lot of value to the OBi unit. Perhaps the fine people at Obihai are currently working on supporting the Mac, or perhaps you can convince them of doing so.

I checked out your web page. Very interesting product. Too bad you don't have a windows version, I certainly would be a customer.

The folks behind Obihai are usually very responsive. I'm certain that if you seek out Sherman with this opportunity to piggyback on the OBi, he would be a good resource person for you.

It's exciting to see how the OBi can be used in a day to day basis using some of the more requested features on this board, and some of your innovative call integration features. I can't wait to see with what you come out with. I will be envious of the people who are using the Mac.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

psichel

QBZappy,

Thanks for your comments.  As you know, the OBiApp is not available for the Mac at this time, but even if it were, I would prefer to avoid the SIP approach.

Phone Amego is aimed at helping you make the most of your phones. It is not intended as a replacement for your phone or telephone service. By deliberately doing less and playing nice with others, Phone Amego is able to focus on the benefits of telephone integration while letting other tools do what they do better.

Here's another use for click-to-dial:  Imagine you run a service business where customers call to arrange appointments. With click-to-dial, you can have a "Call Me" widget or small telephone directory on your website that requests the clients phone number and then connects to your OBi box to ring which ever phones you choose.

psichel

I got another Email today from a Cisco SPA525g user who wonders why he can't dial directly from his computer and needs to use Google Voice.  About a dozen users have now contacted me about this.

It's curious that most ATA and IP phones provide a Web UI for Computer integration, but don't support dialing via the Web UI.  I guess they would prefer customers to buy their expensive proprietary Unified Communications platform, or just haven't thought about it that much.

- Peter

lawsom47

I am disabled (left-side paralysis following a stroke in 2005). Lately I've been adrift in household VoIP territory trying to have my computers display and log caller ID of my (distant) PSTN line. This may be only a small step into the full capabilities of VoIP, but even this small step had a (to me) very steep learning curve. Peter Sichel (and his Phone Amego app) offered calm, insightful and friendly support at every step, so my OBi110 is now installed and Phone Amego lets me know who is calling (often it's unsolicited sales/rubbish) without me dangerously rushing downstairs to have a non-conversation with a disinterested call centre somewhere. I can see how my next steps would benefit from Phone Amego having additional functionality (i.e. if click-to-dial were supported). Obviously an alternative (if I understand things properly) would be to enable this functionality through OBiAPP, though (being an Apple household - multitouch is truly amazing for reducing the strain on my only functional hand/arm) the lack of a native Mac version is a huge hurdle (I've seen promises of a Mac version, but nothing seems to have actually materialised!). So, please, please, please support Click-to-Dial Applications and produce a Mac-native version of OBiAPP

Many thanks,

Mark

mikefoley

I would love to see this functionality.

psichel

Has there been any progress on allowing click-to-dial through a web API on the OBI202 or similar devices?

Thanks!

giqcass

Unfortunately Obi100 and Obi110 do not support WebRTC however a 2xx series with Obiline adapter should work fine.  I have used WebRTC to make outgoing calls on my Mac via the browser using my Obi as a gateway.  An Obi2xx series with Obiline adapter should allow you to place outgoing calls over your landline directly from your computer.  Navigate the menu and set the Auto Attendant 1 PrimaryLine on your Obi2XX with Obiline adapter to use your phone Line.  

Voice services
>>>>>>>>>>>Auto Attendant
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Auto Attendant 1
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PrimaryLine

Now from the Obitalk dashboard click on your Obi softphone settings and select the Obi you set up with the Obiline adapter as the OBi Voice Gateway.

Once this is done you can use WebRTC to dial a number directly from any WebRTC capable browser when logged in to Obitalk.  I have even used the Chrome browser on Android.

This could be accomplished on the Obi110 without WebRTC if you established a sip connection to the Obi110.  There are web based Sip clients you can use or better yet just download a Sip client to your device.
I used to use http://www.flaphone.com from my browser but there is some issue right now.  I don't know how long it's been down or if it's a temporary issue.  With a little setup you could have full incoming and outgoing on almost any device using an Obi110 or Obi2xx with Obiline adapter as a gateway.
Long live our new ObiLords!