News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to call VOIP.ms accounts using SIP calling

Started by JaskHill, April 12, 2020, 08:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaskHill

Hi, I have a VOIP.ms account ( let's say my account ID is 123456 ), and I would like people to call my VOIP.ms account using SIP calling, like calling:  "sip:123456@voip.ms".

But I found that VOIP.ms only supports incoming SIP calls after I purchase a DID from it.  A plain-vanilla free VOIP.ms account does not support incoming SIP calls out of the box.

Does someone know about it?

Thanks.

Taoman

Quote from: JaskHill on April 12, 2020, 08:48:56 AM

Does someone know about it?

There are 4 ways (I'm aware of) to make a SIP call to a VoIP.ms subscriber:
Through a regular DID number.
Through a virtual DID number.
Through a free iNum DID number.
Through a subaccount that you assign an internal extension to. You can then use that address as an external URI address that someone can make SIP calls to. The disadvantage of going this route is there is no call handling, call filtering, CNAM, etc, that can be applied to the call.
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/SIP_URI#Using_your_sub_account_internal_extension

What I don't know is if you can get a free iNum number with only a free VoIP.ms account. Also, if you go the iNum route your call quality won't be stellar since is uses a circuitous call path. You would probably have a lot of latency but it does work.
If you are going to receive a lot of SIP calls the virtual DID is the way to go. It is very cheap and very reliable.

Edit: If you're able to get an iNum number the address syntax looks like this:
8835XXXXXXXXXXX@sip.inum.net

azrobert

Callcentric's free IP Freedom account can do it.
"sip:1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com"