News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Traveling to Europe - how can I make and receive calls?

Started by jagarcia, January 27, 2018, 07:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagarcia

I'm traveling to Italy and France and wondered if there is a way to make and receive calls for free using my Obi and GV setup.

I have a GV number connected to my Obi 200 series. If I take that on my trip and connected to the Internet and have a plus plugged into it, will be able to make and receive calls to and from the US for free?

If I link my cell phone to my GV account, will that help in making and receiving calls?

Thank you in advance for the help and advice on how to set this up.

- John

drgeoff

Quote from: jagarcia on January 27, 2018, 07:57:04 PM
I'm traveling to Italy and France and wondered if there is a way to make and receive calls for free using my Obi and GV setup.

I have a GV number connected to my Obi 200 series. If I take that on my trip and connected to the Internet and have a plus plugged into it, will be able to make and receive calls to and from the US for free?

If I link my cell phone to my GV account, will that help in making and receiving calls?

Thank you in advance for the help and advice on how to set this up.

- John
1. If your Obi200 is working with GV in the US it will continue to do so in the rest of the world provided it has an internet connection that does not have GV blocked by the local authorities.  Italy and France should be fine.  Do not make any changes to the OBi's configuration except IP addressing if you have changed from the default DHCP.  If you are not taking a phone and intending to use a local one, be aware that not all countries use the RJ11 type connectors that are standard in the US.

2.  What do you mean by "link" your cellphone?

3.  If your cellphone can run Google Hangouts you might consider using that rather than taking the OBi.

jagarcia

Thank you for the reply!

1) That's what I was hoping - I can take my Obi and connect it to the Internet via Ethernet or WiFi and continue to use it as normal. I will bring a small phone that I can plug into the Obi.

2) Is there a configuration or setup that allows me to use my cell phone with Google Voice or Google Hangouts and make calls to the US for free. I actually have 2 Obi units available. Is there a way to leave one here in the US and connect to it and make and receive calls from my cell phone from Europe?

drgeoff

nasty67

Thanks for this helpful information. I am going to the UK next month. I was looking for a solution to the same problem. have you tried this?
here is my article link.
online4.love/polish-dating-sites/

drgeoff

Quote from: nasty67 on April 20, 2020, 04:46:36 AM
Thanks for this helpful information. I am going to the UK next month. I was looking for a solution to the same problem. have you tried this?
Tried what?

I'm in the UK and occasionally use GV with an OBi.