News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI202 Analog and VOIP

Started by aelumley, January 28, 2018, 01:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aelumley

I'd like to confirm that the OBI202 can do (allow) both regular POTS (for incoming and local outgoing calls) and do VOIP for long distance calling, all with one phone.

Goal is to drop my long distance service but keep local service for when the power and or Internet goes out, then be able to make long distance calls via VOIP/Google voice.

Thank you,

Andy

drgeoff

No, an OBi202 by itself cannot connect to a POTS line.  It provides VoIP using SIP which is an industry standard used by almost every Internet Telephony Service Provider.  It also has XMPP which is used by Google Voice.

There is (or perhaps more accurately was as it is said to be a discontinued product) the OBiLINE.  This device can be plugged in to the USB port of an OBi202 or OBi200 to give them the added ability to make and receive calls over a POTS line.  However it appears that some users have not been particularly happy with its performance.

Obihai have within the last few months released the OBi212.  The first batch has sold out and more stock has yet to arrive.  This does offer both VoIP and POTS.

And to complete the picture there was the original OBi110 which also offers VoIP and POTS.  This is a discontinued item and Obihai are no longer providing firmware updates for it.  It has however done sterling service for may users for several years and it is hoped that the replacement Obi212 will prove to be a worthy successor.

azrobert

You can still buy an open box OBi110 for about $19. Open box probably means a returned item. GV still works on my OBi110, but it might fail in the near future. There is a 3rd party OBi100/110 firmware fix for GV.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833617002R&cm_re=obi110-_-33-617-002R-_-Product

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31741105-ObiHAI-Obi100-Obi110-Firmware-Mod-Discussion

aelumley

Thanks for the information, I'll wait for the OBI212 to come back to stock.