News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

The other party cannot hear the voice from my GV call via OBiTalk

Started by BrianTalk, January 28, 2018, 10:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTalk

Hi, I started to experience the following issue two days ago
When I use a vtech landlord phone to call another party, the other party cannot hear my voice. I can hear the voice from other party clearly.
When the other party calls me at my OBiTalk phone, both sides can hear the voice.
If I use the "Google Voice" app on my mobile to call another party, both sides can hear voice.

This sounds like some issues in OBiTalk instead of my device. Otherwise, incoming call should experience the same issue.

I see some others experience the same issue on the Internet but no solution yet.

Any help is appreciated.

GPz1100

Recent firewall changes?  Sounds like something is blocking the media streams.

For testing, i'd plug the obi directly to the modem and repeat the tests.  For proper IP assignments, power off the modem before plugging the obi into it.  When you're done, power the modem down again before plugging the router into it.

BrianTalk

Thanks, what is the firewall change do you mean? Who did it? Was it done on the ObiTalk server?

I tried your suggestion to wire the ObiTalk 200 device to the Comcast cable modem directly and it did not work as well. I tried factory reset on the device (though I was not sure it actually reset and I did not see it rebooted) and it did not help as well.

The only thing I will try is to change a phone set and see if it changes anything. However, I really doubt this is a phone set issue as the incoming call does not have any issue at all.

I do not see other similar posts in the forum these days. This seems to be an issue happened to me only?  Any suggestion is welcome..

Quote from: GPz1100 on January 29, 2018, 11:24:55 AM
Recent firewall changes?  Sounds like something is blocking the media streams.

For testing, i'd plug the obi directly to the modem and repeat the tests.  For proper IP assignments, power off the modem before plugging the obi into it.  When you're done, power the modem down again before plugging the router into it.

GPz1100

Firewall (router) as in what ever you have in between your modem and devices on your home network.

Rereading your original post, i'm not entirely clear on what you mean by "other party calls me at my OBiTalk phone".  I'm interpreting this to mean when the other party calls your google voice number which rings on an analog phone connected to your obi device?

It's unclear why the obi ATA did not work when connected directly to the modem.  This should bypass any restrictions your firewall/router may be putting in place.

There are several ways to do a factory reset, the easiest is by logging into the obi device locally.  Find it's ip by lifting any handset and dial *** 1.  From there navigate to system management/device update/reset configuration.  For obi202 models, you should check the two boxes.  I would have done some more testing before doing a factory reset.  That's the last thing to try.    You would know if it were successful because it would need to be provisioned again.

There's too many variables involved.  I suppose since you're able to still make calls with it, try a standard old fashioned wired phone.  One that doesn't use any external power or is cordless.  Just a basic phone that you know works.

BrianTalk

Yes, when other party calls my google voice number which rings on the Vtech cordless phone connected to the ObiTalk, both sides can hear the voice clearly.

I can still make the call from the Vtech cordless phone connected to ObiTalk. As the caller, I can still hear the sound from the receiver side. Just the receiver side cannot hear anything.

BTW, I use ObiTalk 200 not ObiTalk 202.

Quote from: GPz1100 on January 29, 2018, 09:53:03 PM
Firewall (router) as in what ever you have in between your modem and devices on your home network.

Rereading your original post, i'm not entirely clear on what you mean by "other party calls me at my OBiTalk phone".  I'm interpreting this to mean when the other party calls your google voice number which rings on an analog phone connected to your obi device?

It's unclear why the obi ATA did not work when connected directly to the modem.  This should bypass any restrictions your firewall/router may be putting in place.

There are several ways to do a factory reset, the easiest is by logging into the obi device locally.  Find it's ip by lifting any handset and dial *** 1.  From there navigate to system management/device update/reset configuration.  For obi202 models, you should check the two boxes.  I would have done some more testing before doing a factory reset.  That's the last thing to try.    You would know if it were successful because it would need to be provisioned again.

There's too many variables involved.  I suppose since you're able to still make calls with it, try a standard old fashioned wired phone.  One that doesn't use any external power or is cordless.  Just a basic phone that you know works.

GPz1100

Sorry I can't be of more help.  I will say this, at a minimum, you should have identical functionality with the obi box connected directly to the modem as you do now.  Ideally full functionality.  I would do more testing as advised above.  Or throw in the towel and exchange the unit.

Also, it's not called obitalk 200 or obitalk 202!  Obitalk is a portal and a network of sorts for calls between obidevices.  You have an obi200.  The obi202 is identical in almost every way except it supports 2 distinct fxs ports instead of 1.  Also supports routing functions which are generally unused because port speed is only 100 megabit which will bottleneck higher speed connections.

Steve56

Having the exact same problem here. One way audio with no fix in sight.

swan2swan

Off and on I am having connection problems with my GV on obihi. Several times a caller got thru but could not hear me. Today, all day long I not able to receive calls and I am also not able to make an outside call. Reason 500. I am using Simonics on Obihi 100. Can anyone help me please? Thank uou.

SteveInWA

Quote from: swan2swan on March 09, 2018, 05:43:53 PM
Off and on I am having connection problems with my GV on obihi. Several times a caller got thru but could not hear me. Today, all day long I not able to receive calls and I am also not able to make an outside call. Reason 500. I am using Simonics on Obihi 100. Can anyone help me please? Thank uou.

Please don't post the same question in multiple places.

I reviewed your history of previous posts.  It looks like you have been having problems since June 2016.  I suggest you get rid of the complexity and points of failure in your current setup, by throwing out your OBi 100 and buying an OBi 200.  It's fully-supported with Google Voice and it simply works.  You don't need the Simonics gateway, you don't need hacked firmware.  You just spend 10 minutes setting it up and you're done.

billsimon

Quote from: swan2swan on March 09, 2018, 05:43:53 PM

You're likely having network connectivity issues that are interrupting your SIP registration to GVGW. Your device must remain registered in order for you to place and receive calls with our service.

swan2swan

I am not able to use Simonics lately at all. I was getting error #500 and since yesterday, nothing. Like it quit responding - not able to reinstall nor configure.
I just return to GV and it works but one way only - not able to receive any calls.
I have posted my issues in other places but nobody has responded so far.
Help me please! Thanks.

SteveInWA

You have two choices:  continue to futz with your old OBi, and have problems, or buy a new OBi, and get on with your life.

swan2swan

I just updated my firmware (from one of the posts here) and also I had to update password - it works for now again. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)