News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which VOIP provider allows disable/delay Voicemail? (Google Voice does not!)

Started by pasta514, August 11, 2018, 10:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasta514

My elderly mother cannot answer the phone before it goes to voicemail. I've search Google Voice forums that say that voicemail cannot be disabled and that I need to find a different service for her.

She's on a fixed income.

Can anyone recommend a different, low cost or free VOIP service that ONLY does incoming and outgoing calls with ObiTalk?

azrobert

Circlenet is very inexpensive and I don't think you have to use their voicemail.

There are several ways to use GV. I don't know if any will work for your mother.

You can route all inbound calls to the Auto Attendant. After the AA answers, the call will not go to GV voicemail. Change the AA prompt to say something like:
"Please press 1 to reach Mrs. Pasta514"
You will also need to make changes to prevent callers from making a new call.

You can get her a cordless phone, so she can carry it with her.

If you have an old Android cell, calls can be routed to it. You don't need a cell calling plan, just install an SIP softphone on it.

Does her phone have a built-in answering machine?

SteveInWA

Do NOT use Google Voice for your elderly mother.  It is too complicated for some elderly people to deal with, causing frustration and confusion, which can be dangerous in an emergency situation.

If your mother qualifies, she can get a free cell phone and (typically) 200 minutes per month of service, via the Federal Lifeline telephone program.