News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming Caller ID

Started by arrmo, February 06, 2018, 10:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrmo

My apologies if this is a dumb question - I just haven't had any luck finding the answer ...  :(.

I am using an Obi200, connected to Google Voice. Works just fine, incoming and outgoing calls. But ... I don't see to receive the Calling Party name as part of Caller ID (incoming) - rather, only the number, and "Out of Area". Is that "normal", and is there a way to correct this? Not sure where it's lost exactly.

Thanks!

drgeoff

Quote from: arrmo on February 06, 2018, 10:49:17 AM
My apologies if this is a dumb question - I just haven't had any luck finding the answer ...  :(.

I am using an Obi200, connected to Google Voice. Works just fine, incoming and outgoing calls. But ... I don't see to receive the Calling Party name as part of Caller ID (incoming) - rather, only the number, and "Out of Area". Is that "normal", and is there a way to correct this? Not sure where it's lost exactly.

Thanks!
That is normal with GV.  See SteveInWA's explanation in http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=12375.msg86985#msg86985

There are some ways to get Caller Name.  Examples are to access GV via the Simonics GV Gateway or to forward the incoming calls to your GV number to another ITSP such as Callcentric.  The former has a one time fee of $6 and the latter will give you a free inbound number but the E911 fee is $1.50 per month.  Both have been discussed a lot on the forum.  Search and ye shall find.

arrmo

Thanks so much - will dig into this. Appreciate the pointers!

arrmo

Hi,

After some digging, this does look like what I'm after - thanks! But given that I have had a lot of "fun" getting my port done and GV all set up, before I make this next leap I do have a couple questions (just trying to be careful here, and I admit I'm not 100% understanding how the incoming routing is working ...  :(). Any thoughts on these? And again, thanks for the help!
1) My GV number will not change, and the number stays with GV (not the "new" gateway) ... right? Don't want to mess up my GV setup.
2) Actually, to above ... how is the route working for incoming? It seems that this moves from GV incoming to the SIP ... but not sure of the details of this.
3) If I set up the new gateway, and for whatever reason I'm not happy with it ... do I need to do anything to remove it, or just change my OBi 200 to go back to GV (vs. SIP)?