News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 With Google Voice - Incoming Calls Stop Working

Started by LKinWI, January 10, 2018, 07:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKinWI

I purchased an Obi200 after my Obi100 stopped working with GV. I was able to get it setup and working but have issues consistently where inbound calls do not work. The message is "the google voice subscriber is unavailable."

While no incoming calls are working, I am able to successfully make outbound calls. If I restart the OBI200, then incoming will work again for a while. It has lasted as much as 5 days without needing to be restarted, but normally it's like 24 hours.

I worked with obi support and they said to uncheck SIP ALG and if that doesn't fix it, to put the OBI200 in the DMZ of my router. I have done both and neither fixed the issue.

Any ideas?

Mango

Quote from: LKinWI on January 10, 2018, 07:17:42 PMI worked with obi support and they said to uncheck SIP ALG

They are on crack.  Google Voice uses XMPP, not SIP, so disabling or enabling SIP ALG does nothing.

Quote from: LKinWI on January 10, 2018, 07:17:42 PMand if that doesn't fix it, to put the OBI200 in the DMZ of my router.

They are really on crack.  DMZ is a serious security risk.  It disables your firewall and allows your adapter to be attacked by hackers that want to route expensive international calls that you have to pay for.  This may not be a concern with a free provider like Google Voice, but it is still bad practice.

1) What firmware does your 200 have?

2) Does your old OBi100 ATA also exhibit this problem?  Google (temporarily?) rolled back its certificate changes so the OBi1 ATAs are working again.  Additionally, there is now third-party firmware for OBi1 ATAs that should make them work when Google once again rolls out the new certificates.

LKinWI

Here is what it says for software/firmware version: 3.2.1 (Build: 5775EX)

I am pretty sure we go rid of the Obi100 as from everything I was reading, it was not going to be supported moving forward. We got the new "supported" device and got rid of the old one.

Any ideas? I actually have tried two routers also. I had a Ubiquiti router in place and removed that and now have a DLink wireless router in place.

I know tons of people are using google voice with their Obi200. Not sure what our issue could be.

At one point, I did try to configure a cell phone to use google voice tied in with this same account. That broke things so I put everything back the way it was. Could there still be some lingering effect from trying to do that?

Thanks for any insight you guys might have.

Mango

Since several users have now reported the same symptoms, it seems reasonable to revert to an older firmware version for testing purposes.  Since Google has rolled back its certificate changes (for now), this might work.

First, set the following so your ATA will not automatically update.  This will disable OBiTALK so you will need to use the device's internal web server to configure it.  You can change these settings back later, after we see whether or not I am correct.

System Management >> Auto Provisioning:
Auto Firmware Update >> Method: Disabled
ITSP Provisioning >> Method: Disabled
OBiTalk Provisioning >> Method: Disabled

Voice Services >> OBiTALK Service:
Enable: (Unchecked)

Next, install this firmware from July 2017: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5695EX.fw

Let us know how things go.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Mango on January 11, 2018, 05:48:14 PM
Since several users have now reported the same symptoms, it seems reasonable to revert to an older firmware version for testing purposes.  Since Google has rolled back its certificate changes (for now), this might work.

First, set the following so your ATA will not automatically update.  This will disable OBiTALK so you will need to use the device's internal web server to configure it.  You can change these settings back later, after we see whether or not I am correct.

System Management >> Auto Provisioning:
Auto Firmware Update >> Method: Disabled
ITSP Provisioning >> Method: Disabled
OBiTalk Provisioning >> Method: Disabled

Voice Services >> OBiTALK Service:
Enable: (Unchecked)

Next, install this firmware from July 2017: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-1-1-5695EX.fw

Let us know how things go.

This is complete bunkum. 

Google has not "rolled back" anything whatsoever.  It just hasn't updated all of its hundreds of XMPP servers yet.  There is no reason to downgrade firmware; the latest version works perfectly well.

Just because several users (out of tens of millions of users) have experienced this issue, doesn't make it pervasive.

Mango

This user has already replaced his router and (for better or for worse) tried DMZ.  Obihai has fluffed up firmware updates enough times that it's a reasonable troubleshooting step - at least it makes more sense than disabling SIP ALG which is just dumb.

If you have another theory as to why he can't consistently receive incoming calls, let's hear it.

SteveInWA

If you read the original poster's original post, nothing in that post suggests anything to do with either the OBi firmware level nor anything related to the Google XMPP server certificates.  He's describing some sort of one-off issue whereby it works for a while, and then it doesn't work.  There's some sort of non-Google Voice problem happening; either a defective OBi or OBi power adapter, or some home network or ISP problem.  Google Voice itself does not fail with this specific symptom.

Where do I get my information about Google Voice?  Directly from my conversations with the Google Voice product team.  What trustworthy source do you have for your information?  Oh, that's right:  DSLreports.com

Talker76

Hello,
Has anyone found a fix to this yet? I used my obi100 for 6 years without issue and never even had to reboot it 1 time. Not even once, which I find amazing for any networked product. Now being forced to upgrade to obi200 a few weeks ago, while it will call out, about every day it has to be power cycled to get it to ring again otherwise they go to voicemail as the phone never rings here. What is going on? None of my software accounts or in home hardware has changed from what was working fine with obi100 for 6 years. How do I fix this??

Mango

If you wish, switch back to your OBi100 with the third-party firmware: http://www.obifirmware.com/

Talker76

I sure appreciate this information Mango, I was really excited for a minute until I realized I threw the old one out keeping only the power adapter. After everything I read online about the EOL thing, I saw no reason to keep it since I only use google voice. I did use that $5 workaround for the certificate thing, but that stopped working shortly thereafter too so that is when I bought the obi200. I suppose I could buy another obi100 since they are only $15 now and then use this firmware. Do you know if the firmware in the link you provided will work on the obi200?
Thanks again for that very helpful advice, and yes I will be kicking my own a** the rest of the week for throwing that stupid thing out!  >:( :'(

Mango

Let's see if we can find a solution that doesn't involve you spending any (more) money.  Check your firmware version and see if it's the same as LKinWI reports above.  If it is, you may wish to try changing your firmware with the procedure I posted.

I don't know if this will solve the problem, but it should only take a few minutes of your time, and you can reverse your changes if what I suggested doesn't work.  If it doesn't work, then at least we know what the problem is NOT.

Yes, the third party firmware is available for the OBi2 but is not really necessary unless you want to use an SSH server with it or configure Google Voice without OBiTALK.  It would not solve this specific problem that you are having.

duckieee1955

I am having the same problem as LKinWI where my phone won't ring either until I reset the OBI 200. Sometimes I can't even call out until I reset the unit. I wish  someone would come up the answer to fixing this problem.

Mango

We won't know until someone having the problem does some troubleshooting and shares the solution.

Anyone having the problem want to see if Syslog gives us any clues as to what is wrong?

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=707.0

BillR

I have an OBi1022.  Works fine for outgoing calls, but incoming calls don't ring on the phone.  Seems like it just happened recently, rebooting does not fix the problem.

If I knew how to get logs off of this phone, I'd provide them here.