News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 - How to start 2nd GV number in SP2 after SP1 is running

Started by glnz6, February 23, 2018, 06:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glnz6

I have a new OBi 202 and have successfully connected SP1 to a new GoogleVoice account with its own separate GMail address, GV number, etc.  When I go to ObiTalk for the device, I think I sign in using that GMail address

Now, I want to set up SP2 with a completely separate new GoogleVoice account with its own separate GMail address, GV number, etc.  NOT the same GMail address as SP1 - this should be completely different from SP1's connection.  Google will think these are two completely different accounts - not linked.

How exactly should I do that?  Obi's web windows are not very clear.  Is there a particular Obi 202 user manual I should read, and then which chapter?  Please point me to it.  Need step=by-step instructions with pictures.

Thanks.

SteveInWA

No need for a user manual, and there isn't one anyhow.

Just sign into your desired Google account (the account you want to use on SP2) on a laptop/desktop web browser.  Make sure it's the right account (not the account you used for SP1).  Press Ctrl-T and open a new browser tab, leaving the other tab signed into the Google account.  Go to your OBiTALK dashboard and sign in.  Click the OBi device.  Click SP2, then follow the steps to set up Google Voice on it.  It will eventually pop a window asking you to confirm which of your Google accounts you want to use.  Simply confirm that you are selecting the correct account for SP2, and continue.  That's it.

glnz6

SteveInWA - Thanks!  And I remember you helped me last April when I bought my first Obi200.

Dumb Question:  You wrote above, "Go to your OBiTALK dashboard".  Well, per your instructions, I'm on my browser signed in to my NEW GV account that has never before connected to any OBi device.  How do I go to my existing OBITALK Dashboard?  I ask because I normally go to OBITALK using the original Google sign-in, which is SP1.  Don't I want to avoid using that for the moment?

EDIT:  And you wrote "It will eventually pop a window asking you to confirm which of your Google accounts you want to use."  How does it know about the second Google account?  They aren't linked - they have separate everything, including separate GMail addresses.

SteveInWA

Quote from: glnz6 on February 24, 2018, 05:50:43 AM

SteveInWA - Thanks!  And I remember you helped me last April when I bought my first Obi200.

Dumb Question:  You wrote above, "Go to your OBiTALK dashboard".  Well, per your instructions, I'm on my browser signed in to my NEW GV account that has never before connected to any OBi device.  How do I go to my existing OBITALK Dashboard?  I ask because I normally go to OBITALK using the original Google sign-in, which is SP1.  Don't I want to avoid using that for the moment?

EDIT:  And you wrote "It will eventually pop a window asking you to confirm which of your Google accounts you want to use."  How does it know about the second Google account?  They aren't linked - they have separate everything, including separate GMail addresses.

That's not a dumb question -- actually, after I posted my reply, I realized that you would probably be confused by my lack of explicit details.

It's hard to explain concisely.  I'll try.

You have an OBiTALK account, which takes you to your OBi device dashboard.  There are two different ways to sign into an OBiTALK account:  you can either simply make up and assign a user ID and password, just as you would for most website accounts, or, you can use your Google credentials as a third-party sign-in method.  I think you have chosen that second method.  It is actually unrelated to setting up Google Voice on the OBi; it simply uses Google's authentication service to identify you and use your Google sign-in to confirm you are the person authorized to sign into OBiTALK.  So:  yes, do that, using the appropriate Google account.

When you configured SP1, you used that same Google account.  That's fine.  But, the sign-in to OBiTALK is independent of configuring SPs, meaning, once you're signed into OBiTALK, you can configure all four SPs with whatever services you wish, from either Google Voice or some other service provider.

So:  yes, sign into your OBiTALK dashboard with GV account #1.  Then, go through the setup for SP2.  You can actually be signed into two different Google accounts at the same time on your browser; Google cookies are used to manage which account is which.  What will happen, is that the pop-up will ask you which of the two accounts it detects (via the logon state cookies) do you want to use for SP2.  Simply select the correct (second) Google account, and it will do the magic.

glnz6