News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Outgoing Call Rings Once

Started by JamieR, March 30, 2018, 04:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieR

So I just picked up an Obi200, using GV for inbound and outbound, firmware 3.2.1.5757. Seems to be working fine so far, but the one thing I noticed is when making an outgoing call, it rings once in my phone, yet is still connected and calling. Maybe I worded that wrong?! I used my house phone to call my cell. My house phone rings once and stops, yet my cell phone keeps ringing and eventually goes to voicemail which I can hear on the house phone. Why is it not continuing to rin in the earpiece of my home phone? This is annoying as hell since if I were actually calling someone (other than myself), I would have no idea whether they picked up and that's why it stopped ringing, or what!

I did already try deleting my GV account through the Obi Portal and adding it back but same thing. Ditched Comcast phone and cable to save money, when I found this on Amazon. I'm sure it's a hiccup somewhere in the system or something set up incorrectly, but seeing as how I never once had an issue with Comcast phone service, I sure do miss it...

SteveInWA

Let's first use the correct, unambiguous terminology, so we can understand what you mean.

You have a Google Voice inbound phone number.  You (should have) added one or more linked, forwarding phone number(s) to your Google Voice configuration. When someone calls your Google Voice phone number, GV will forward that call to your linked/forwarding phone numbers, and to your OBi.  OBi devices act as Google Chat clients, and so they are simply one more forwarding destination.

Are you saying that a) you linked your mobile phone number as a forwarding phone, and b) when you call the mobile phone number from the OBi-attached phone, you don't hear ringback tones in the OBi-attached phone's earpiece while the mobile phone is ringing?

If not, please clarify.  If that IS what is happening, then try calling some other phone number from the OBi-attached phone.  If possible, try calling numbers on several different phone carriers.  What, exactly, happens?

Klatibo

I have the exact same problem as JamieR!

SteveInWA understood the problem correctly....
"Are you saying that a) you linked your mobile phone number as a forwarding phone, and b) when you call the mobile phone number from the OBi-attached phone, you don't hear ringback tones in the OBi-attached phone's earpiece while the mobile phone is ringing?"

I called several other numbers on different carriers like he suggested and it looks like the problem only happens when I call my cellphone number (which is also my linked Google Voice number).

SteveInWA

There is a problem open on this issue with Google Voice engineering at this time, and it is unrelated to OBi use.  Calls placed by a Google Voice user are not playing the ringback tone to the caller.  This does not mean that the call isn't ringing on the called party's phone.  You should be able to just wait and see if the called party, or their phone's voicemail, answers the call.

I am guessing they'll get this fixed in the coming week, but no guarantees.

Klatibo

Thanks for the info SteveInWA. You're the best!!!