News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Large reduction in bandwidth when ObiHai 202 is connected.

Started by GWRider, February 25, 2018, 12:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWRider

I recently installed ObiHai 202 and configured it for GV use per Obi's instructions. Everything appears to be working except I noticed that my internet performance became extremely slow. I went to different sites to check my bandwidth and noticed a whopping 80 to 90 percent reduction. I understood a decrease was to be expected but not anything like this?  

When I unplug the Obi device or disconnect the network drop the bandwidth returns to normal.
For example, my normal fiber bandwidth is fairly symmetrical at approx. 800 to 900 Mbps. When Obi is connected my download consistently drops to approx. 115 Mbps and upload reduced to approx. 670 Mbps?

I have one CAT 6 drop into my home office, so I am using an umanaged Netgear GS605V4 (dumb) switch to plugin the Obi and my PC. I tried eliminating this switch and plugging the drop directly into the Obi then going to the PC. This resulted in even lower bandwidth to around 20 to 30 Mbps (the Obi device is on the latest firmware).

The one thing that stands out is that the above switch shows green for 1gb connections and orange for 10 to 100mb connections. The Obi connection shows orange. It is my understanding the network will only be as fast as the slowest aspect which in this case appears to be the Obi device?  Any ideas or if there is something I am missing?

GWRider

I believe I figured out what is going on. I am not sure if anyone noticed this before but if you log on the ObiTalk.com site it will drastically reduce the available bandwidth.  I did several cycles of logging on and off. Each time I would log on and performed a speed test it would result in an 80-90% drop (approx. 60-100Mbs). As soon as I logged off and repeat the speed test it would return to normal (approx. 800-900Mbps).

drgeoff

The OBi202 contains a router between its two ethernet jacks.  Although that can be switched off (putting it into "bridge mode") the default is router mode and it is known that the maximum throughput is around 30 Mbit/s.  That should be of no consequence if you are not using the LAN socket on the 202.  However, if you do use the LAN socket, any device or devices fed from that will be impacted as you already noticed - ". I tried eliminating this switch and plugging the drop directly into the Obi then going to the PC. This resulted in even lower bandwidth to around 20 to 30 Mbps ."

I have no explanation for your other observations but do wonder if the reductions are real or due to some "defect" in the measurement method which is invoked or exacerbated under certain conditions.

LTN1

No difference in up or download speed when running a speed test before or after visting the OBiTalk web site. Any problems are likely attributed to user equipment or PEBCAK issue.

GWRider

Quote from: drgeoff on February 26, 2018, 01:22:42 AM
The OBi202 contains a router between its two ethernet jacks.  Although that can be switched off (putting it into "bridge mode") the default is router mode and it is known that the maximum throughput is around 30 Mbit/s.  That should be of no consequence if you are not using the LAN socket on the 202.  However, if you do use the LAN socket, any device or devices fed from that will be impacted as you already noticed - ". I tried eliminating this switch and plugging the drop directly into the Obi then going to the PC. This resulted in even lower bandwidth to around 20 to 30 Mbps ."

I have no explanation for your other observations but do wonder if the reductions are real or due to some "defect" in the measurement method which is invoked or exacerbated under certain conditions.

Thanks for the info. as that explains the 30 Mbps max when I tried using the LAN port.  As for the ObiTalk site in my earlier post, it appears coincidental as the problem returned today without being logged into their site.

Also, I heard back from Obi support and they said to open up the following on my router which I already tried.  :(  

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

drgeoff

1.  I find it difficult to come up with any explanation of how a device with a 100 Mbit/s ethernet port could itself be generating enough traffic to cause changes of more than 600 Mbit/s in download speed and more than 100 Mbit/s in upload speed.  I would suggest a complete look at your network topology and IP address settings of all devices on your network.

2.  Regrettably the response from Obihai support is just another demonstration of its unworthiness of the name.  Opening ports is a different thing from forwarding them.  While virtually every home router can do the latter, none of the dozens I have examined have controls for the former.  And anyway whether those Obi-specific ports are open or not would have no impact on your speed tests using a computer.

GWRider

Quote from: drgeoff on February 27, 2018, 01:29:07 AM
1.  I find it difficult to come up with any explanation of how a device with a 100 Mbit/s ethernet port could itself be generating enough traffic to cause changes of more than 600 Mbit/s in download speed and more than 100 Mbit/s in upload speed.  I would suggest a complete look at your network topology and IP address settings of all devices on your network.

2.  Regrettably the response from Obihai support is just another demonstration of its unworthiness of the name.  Opening ports is a different thing from forwarding them.  While virtually every home router can do the latter, none of the dozens I have examined have controls for the former.  And anyway whether those Obi-specific ports are open or not would have no impact on your speed tests using a computer.

My home network setup is pretty common.  GF fiber with a Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 router (about 5 weeks old with latest firmware applied. Likely one of the best performing routers for home use). Cat 6 cable from router to Office which has one drop. The cable from drop plugs into a Netgear G5605V4 unmanaged (dumb) switch. My PC plugs into that dumb switch and also the Obi.  I have had no network or bandwidth issues until I purchased the Obi last week and plugged it into the dumb switch. Bandwidth returns to normal if Obi is unplugged?  

I tried several things but here are ones I recall:

1. Using different patch cords
2. Moving to other switch ports
3. By passing dumb switch (using Obi LAN) which would not have worked anyway because of 30Mbps limit.
4. Toying with the ports per Obi Support
5. Disabling SIP ALG on Router

I will experiment with it later as time permits.

Yes, Obi support was very disappointing. Maybe, I did not get a good support person? It appears the members on this forum are more knowledgable than their support.

Time_Lord

Just because you have a gig interface available to you doesn't mean that the device is capable of forwarding packets at a 1Gb/s rate.

I suspect that the Obi 202 is simply not capable of forwarding packets at line rate and would suggest you simply put the Obi behind your existing router.  Will you loose the prioritization that the Obi provides yes but....

1) a voice call only uses about 85Kb/s
2) unless you are running your internet connection at 100% capacity you won't have a problem
3) ISP's typically ignore prioritization (QoS) on anything that they do not assign the value to
4) even if your ISP honors your QoS markings, the next ISP will ignore them anyway

The time that the Obi 202's router capability is worth while is if you have an unusually slow connection (eg DSL), otherwise it won't keep up with the data throughput.

-TL

eaglemaster

i am also concern about the bandwidth/usage as i am on early stage of moving to Obi from Vonage as currently with vonage i had assign it a static IP and also used port forwarding and also activated DMZ  in my router the port numbers were given by customer service , can anyone include what port numbers should i use when activating port forwarding for the static obi device?

drgeoff

Quote from: eaglemaster on April 04, 2018, 09:26:03 AM
i am also concern about the bandwidth/usage as i am on early stage of moving to Obi from Vonage as currently with vonage i had assign it a static IP and also used port forwarding and also activated DMZ  in my router the port numbers were given by customer service , can anyone include what port numbers should i use when activating port forwarding for the static obi device?
Stop being concerned.  Whatever the cause behind the original post in this thread, it is not experienced by the vast majority of OBi users.

Port forwarding is rarely needed with OBi devices on home networks*.  And whether a device (any device not just an OBi or Vonage) needs ports forwarded to it is completely independent of static or dynamic IP address.

(* Corporate networks may be a different kettle of fish, as they frequently have firewalls to block everything except what is officially sanctioned and needed for business purposes.)