News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Phone number

Started by Angie7, March 01, 2018, 03:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie7

Should the phone number that is on the bottom of my obi be showing in my google phone account?
It is not showing.  Thanks!

drgeoff

Quote from: Angie7 on March 01, 2018, 03:36:53 PM
Should the phone number that is on the bottom of my obi be showing in my google phone account?
It is not showing.  Thanks!
No, the 9 digit OBi number on the bottom of your device has absolutely nothing to do with Google.

Angie7

Thanks!  Is the number that's on the bottom of my obi device the number that I use as the phone number?   When I call it I receive a message that says that it is not a working number.   

SteveInWA

I guess you didn't understand what Geoff posted in his reply.

OBi devices are just little computers.  To use one, you need to subscribe to some form of VoIP telephone service, either Google Voice, or a SIP VoIP service provider.  The nine-digit OBi number on the label on the bottom of the box is not a telephone number.  It is a unique network ID that allows OBi devices to communicate with each other.

If you want to use Google Voice ,then you need to set it up.

See:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg56460#msg56460

Angie7

Thank you soooo much! :)  I used the link that you provided and now I have a google phone number that works with my obi202!  I love this and am thrilled to now call and cancel my home phone service!   Thanks again!

SteveInWA

Yes, if you follow my instructions.

If this is too technically challenging for you, then an OBi device may not be the best option for you -- they are not simple "plug it in and it works automatically" gadgets.