News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Time setting

Started by Rick, January 05, 2012, 06:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I ran into a recent issue and thought I'd post it for others.

With our soon to be gone POTS line we never had callerid.  Now that we do have it with the OBi, we noticed that the time stamp was off by 3 hours.  I reset my portable telephone system's base, wondering why it was wrong, then later that day noticed it was wrong again.  Reset it again, and again later it was off.

I checked in the OBi settings and saw that under System Management > Network Settings there is a Local Time Zone which defaults to Pacific Time.  I unchecked the default box and changed to East Coast Time, and now a full day has gone by where the time stamp is correct.

So, the OBi was somehow providing my portable telephone system with a time sync and resetting the machine.  Or, I have gremlins that never did this before I got my OBi.  While we didn't use callerid before, we did get messages and they had the proper time.

AndyJ

My Panasonic cordless phone also updates its time based on called ID information received, although there is an option to disable that behavior if it isn't desired.

outoin

Quote from: AndyJ on January 05, 2012, 06:56:56 AM
My Panasonic cordless phone also updates its time based on called ID information received, although there is an option to disable that behavior if it isn't desired.

Even I check a right timezone -3.30 (Newfoundland Canada), my timestamp still one hour off, whatever how many times I reset. driving me crazy!!!

drgeoff

Quote from: outoin on March 30, 2018, 03:41:55 PM
Quote from: AndyJ on January 05, 2012, 06:56:56 AM

Even I check a right timezone -3.30 (Newfoundland Canada), my timestamp still one hour off, whatever how many times I reset. driving me crazy!!!
Maybe a Daylight Saving Time issue.

drgeoff

There are two angles to this:

1.  What the OBi thinks the time is.

2.  How the phone gets the time.

For 1: On your Dashboard, enter the Expert Mode by clicking on the cogwheel with the red E inside it.  Then click on Status, then on System Status.  In the Product Information section you will see the current time. See the screenshot time1.  Is that correct?  If not click on System Management, then on Network Settings. As in the time2 screenshot you should see the Time Service Settings.  Post what is in those boxes.  (My screenshot is for British Summer Time).

For 2:  Not all phones get time the same way.  If yours can get its time from the OBi, it can only be corrected when there is an incoming call.