News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call from Obihai 202 to my mobile number always busy - why?

Started by glnz6, March 02, 2018, 06:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPz1100

^^If that were the case, calls would be blocked from hangouts too.  Your flip doesn't know the call is coming from gv by way of obi, or hangouts or where ever.

You know how they say a reboot fixes most issues... A factory reset is worth a shot at this point IMO.

glnz6

Very busy today and not had a chance to catch up and do resets.  But  I noticed one thing - when I use the plastic phone attached to the Obihai in my GV account to call an unrelated mobile phone and the call goes through, the unrelated mobile shows as incoming caller ID the absurdly long name I stupidly put on the GV number - "Google voice 1st to be #### later" (where ### are the last four digits of the number I wish to port).

Maybe that long name is the problem?  Can I change it?  I don't see where.

drgeoff

Google Voice does NOT send Caller Name, only either the Caller Number of the number of the GV account (see screenshot).  So where is the name coming from?

GPz1100

Probably coming from a contact defined in the phone's contact list.

glnz6

GPz1100 - That long name is not in the unrelated recipient phone's contact list at all.  I must have typed it as I started setting everything up - maybe in the set-up for the GMail account that I first created before I did anything else?

But, again, if I call from Hangout from the GV number to the Vz prepaid flip phone (that now has the number I want to port), the call goes through and the Vz prepaid flip phone shows me only the GV calling number and NOT  "Google voice 1st to be #### later".

More to do.

GPz1100

No clue then. Google voice only provides CID number, not name. 

I *highly* recommend resetting everything so you can start back at square one.

glnz6

GPz - Reset did not help.  Same issue.

By the way, I have posted a different question at
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13613.0

Thanks,

GPz1100

The stars and planets must be in alignment for you then. 

I don't know what else to suggest other than starting over with a new and different google voice account/number.  If that still fails then I'd exchange the obi for another one.

glnz6

GPz1100 - Well, I finally took the plunge, and it's now working.  My original land line number (area code 212) has been ported successfully to the GV account, and calls to and from that number are working in the Obihai 202 on the cheap plastic phone on Line 1.

Whew.

I was worried that the earlier glitch meant I'd have a problem, but at the end got lucky.

FYI - I did NOT re-try with a new GV account because I finally understood (from Steve's posts elsewhere) that I'd need a different "linked to" outside number, and I don't have enough outside numbers to experiment like that.

Have not yet set up anything special on the GV voicemail or anything else.

And in 10 days I am going to do the whole thing again for my second land line - my wife's important number.

Thanks!!

glnz6

A month later, I have created a SECOND Gmail email + Google Voice account with a phone number and set that up in SP2 on my Obihai 202, and I am getting the same problem !!

The new Gmail I created is 212xxxxxxxF@gmail.com and it got a Google Voice number that is 516 yyy-yyyy.  I put 516 yyy-yyyy into SP2 in the Obihai 202.  It works to dial out and receive calls.
I picked the Gmail name 212xxxxxxxF@gmail.com because 212-xxx-xxxx is the same as my land line number that will eventually be ported into the Google Voice account.  When I'm done, 516 yyy-yyyy on Obihai SP2 will become 212-xxx-xxxx.
(I also called Verizon's Porting department and ordered the porting of the 212-xxx-xxxx land line number to a Verizon prepaid phone, which will complete 2 - 10 days from now.  When that first port is complete, I will re-port the 212-xxx-xxxx number from the Verizon prepaid phone to my new 212xxxxxxxF@gmail.com + Google Voice account.)

BUT ... right now, my plastic phone plugged into SP2 on the Obihai 202 with new number 516 yyy-yyyy gives me a fast busy when I use it to call 212-xxx-xxxx.  Same as a month ago - above.

► WEIRD MAN.  WEIRD !  

glnz6

Well, the second number 212-xxx-xxxx has now been ported into my GV account 212xxxxxxxF@gmail.com and seems to be working on SP2 on my Obihai 202.

Like last time.

Whew!

But if anyone ever figures out why the INTERIM calls to 212-xxx-xxxx from SP2 got a fast busy, I'll always be curious to know.  (Maybe it's because I originally put 212xxxxxxx as part of the gmail name for the account?)