News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 - No Dial Tone

Started by GdoggX, January 14, 2018, 07:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GdoggX

Hello! New to the obitalk device.

I'll try to keep this short and to the point with as much detail as possible. If this post is in the wrong forum please advise me of where I should put it. I didn't see a specific "technical device support" forum and was not sure...

Hooked up obi200 as instructions state.
    Was able to make the call to get the IP, and to make it show up on the website.
    Linked Google Voice
    Thought I was a cool techy and updated the firmware to OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX
    Stopped there. Didn't test anything or continue because I had to go.
    Before I left, I noticed my router (Netgear Nighthawk 1750) had a firmware update so i updated it and left the house.
    Came home, noticed that telephone LED (the right one) on the obi200 was lit up.
    I went to the phone and it didn't have a tone anymore.
    I reset the obi202 as instructions state.
    Could not get a dial tone anymore, telephone light never goes on, except for power cycling
    Tried a different power adapter, the power and internet LED (Left two) are lit up, those two lights never had any issues according to other posts/instructions.
    Tried to add the DMZ in my router  with the obi200's IP
    In the phone port status setting, in the obi200 local webpage IP, it is blank and shows nothing.

Did I break this thing? I am using a vtech cordless phone. I have it connected to a wifi printer (HP officejet pro 8625) and used the line from the printer to connect to the obi200 because my intention was to be able to set up faxing with it as well.
    I tried just hooking the phone directly up to the the obi during troubleshooting

I tried using a different phone wire as well

I tried using a different cordless phone that I had.

I am out of ideas. I bought it 3 days ago on amazon, maybe I can request an exchange if it's dead?

drgeoff

An Obi should give dial tone even without a working network connection.  Doesn't even need an ethernet cable plugged in.

If the Power LED is solid green then the OBi is happy with its connection to your router.  If that is the case then no dial tone is caused by:

1.  Faulty or not plugged in phone cable.

2.  Faulty phone.

3.  Faulty OBi. Click this link http://www.obihai.com/uidemos/obi200/i then click Status, then PHONE Port Status. Your OBi200 should have similar info.  Have you had the OBi's phone socket connected to your house wiring without first properly disconnecting the phone company's line?  That can fry the phone port.

GdoggX

Hi, thanks for the reponse.

Both left and middle LEDs are solid Green.

1.   I tried two different phone cables.
2.   I tried a different phone.
3.   The information under PHONE Port Status is blank/empty. I never connected the Obi200 to the socket in the wall, and only connected a basic Vtech CS6529-2 cordless phone to it. I hooked it up exactly like the instructions.

An Important note,  is that I was able to get a dial tone when I originally set this up and link it to google voice before I left for a few hours. Upgraded firmware and that of my router, added DMZ.

Not sure how the obi200 became faulty. I have not even had it a week. I am assuming i should contact support and ask for a replacement? Or did i miss another troubleshooting step?

drgeoff

Whatever the cause, it is faulty now - the blank Status confirms that.  Our UK laws are different - redress is always against the seller.  On whether it is up to your seller (Amazon) or OBihai to provide a replacement I can't advise.

If returning to your seller, sticky some prominent labels saying "Faulty" on the box and the OBi.  Helps prevent some other luckless individual buying it.

I would be slightly concerned that your printer is responsible.  Can't think of a way to test that except the obvious one of only plugging the phone into the replacement for a week or two.  Then add the printer between the two.  If the second OBi fails the same way as the first .......

GdoggX

Thank you for the help, I will try that.

Are wireless all in one printers not typically able to work with obi devices? Seems strange a device would be made that can't "tolerate" a printer/fax combo... but then again I don't know anything about this specific type of hardware and their "sensitivity" to other devices.

Thanks again,

drgeoff

Quote from: GdoggX on January 15, 2018, 09:21:27 AM
Thank you for the help, I will try that.

Are wireless all in one printers not typically able to work with obi devices? Seems strange a device would be made that can't "tolerate" a printer/fax combo... but then again I don't know anything about this specific type of hardware and their "sensitivity" to other devices.

Thanks again,
The printer should work fine with the OBi.  However if the printer has a particular type of fault it is theoretically possible for it to be outputting a damaging voltage to the OBi's PHONE port.

GdoggX

I'VE have the replacement device since mid January, hooked up through a printer all in one combo with a fax, and have not had any problems. It had to have been the box :). I will close the thread.