News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice and Obi200

Started by OldRaptor, March 05, 2018, 07:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRaptor

I'm both a new user and an old reptile.  There must be an easy answer, but finding it seems difficult.  I set up Obi, no problem.  I connected to Google Voice.  I can dial the V-Tech phone connected to it, and successfully make a phone call to Mrs. Raptor.  However if she (or anyone) calls my GV number, it rings all of the connected phone numbers (such as my cell phone) EXCEPT for my V-Tech Obi200 connected phone.  I can't figure out how to get it to ring or connect.  I.e. How do I list it as a GV forwarding device?

In troubleshooting a similar question suggested to dial *79 to turn off "DND" (Do Not Disturb).  Even though that is not the problem, I tried it anyway to no avail.

Any Ideas?

SteveInWA

See:  https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/GV-and-the-OBi/My-OBi-Does-Not-Ring

Note that, on their first screenshot, the procedure shown is incorrect.  Instead, click the three vertical dots on the left side-bar menu, scroll down and click "Legacy Google Voice" to get to the old website.  Then, click the gear icon in the upper right corner, and then click "Setings".

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 05, 2018, 09:48:15 PM
See:  https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/GV-and-the-OBi/My-OBi-Does-Not-Ring

Note that, on their first screenshot, the procedure shown is incorrect.

In what way is the screenshot procedure "incorrect?" Seems to work exactly as described.

SteveInWA

It is incorrect, in that the purpose of clicking "TRANSFER" is to move (transfer) a Google Voice inbound phone number (DID) from one Google account to another Google account.  Its purpose is not to simply take you to the Legacy website.  It's just a coincidence that this works; clicking TRANSFER takes you to the old site, because, at this time, the transfer function can only be performed from the old website.  We don't want anyone getting confused and going down a rabbit hole of losing their GV number because they kicked off the transfer function, and followed the instructions to transfer a number.  Since functions on the old and new websites are in flux during the migration, it's a bad idea to publish instructions that aren't accurately explaining how to correctly perform the function.

The correct instructions, as you know, would be to show how to get to the Legacy website by clicking the "Legacy Google Voice" link in the left-side menu bar.

See:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#googlexfer

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 06, 2018, 03:17:28 PM

The correct instructions, as you know, would be to show how to get to the Legacy website by clicking the "Legacy Google Voice" link in the left-side menu bar.

Or to just post the direct link to the correct location as Red Leatherman does. Or is Red "incorrect" also?

https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

SteveInWA

Are you bored and itching for a fight?  You know what I said the last time you brought up that link.  It's temporary.  My friend Red is just not as concerned as I am about publishing answers that won't need to be changed later.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 06, 2018, 03:29:52 PM
Are you bored and itching for a fight?  You know what I said the last time you brought up that link.  It's temporary.  My friend Red is just not as concerned as I am about publishing answers that won't need to be changed later.

Do you honestly believe the menu selection for Legacy Google Voice isn't also "temporary?" I wonder how many answers will have to be "changed later" because you told users to select Legacy Google Voice from the menu but it's no longer an option?

If this was in any way a big deal I'm quite sure the Community Managers would have shut Red down from using those redirection links. But they haven't. If you can find one Community Manager who says we shouldn't be using the redirection links I will never post another one.

SteveInWA

Go take your meds.  You're making a BFD out of nothing.  The CMs don't care what we post, as long as it isn't abusive. I choose to post the method recommended by the product team, with whom I'm in touch almost daily.  My original post on this thread was correct, in that getting to the Legacy website by clicking the "TRANSFER" link is an unrelated consequence, not the correct way to do so.  There are many ways to light a BBQ.  Some ways, such as pouring a gallon of gasoline on the charcoal, or aiming a liquid oxygen hose at it, work, but have unintended consequences.

Find something more useful to do with your time, then badgering me.

SteveInWA

Every Google Voice help page, that describes an action that can only be performed on the Legacy website, has the set of instructions as shown in the attached screenshot.  They've done this on purpose.  When (not if) the Legacy site is shut down, they'll remove that chunk of text from all of the help pages.

OldRaptor

Problem solved!

The first half of the problem was getting to the legacy website, and I was able to do that. 

The second half was going to settings....... And clicking on google chat!  This was not obvious to me as a new user.  I made no connection in my mind that "google chat" and "obi200 not receiving calls" had anything to do with each other.

So, any newbies, with this problem, just go to google legacy, and click the google chat box.

I KNEW there was a simple answer, but finding it was the problem. 

Thanks so much for the help received.... It was just enough to get me close enough to where I could figure it out.

OldRaptor