December 19, 2018, 01:55:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:
 
   Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange setup problems 200  (Read 5798 times)
madhatter
Jr. Member
**
Posts: 37


« on: June 17, 2018, 07:26:25 am »

I went to add a new OBI200 this week and ran into some weirdness I haven't seen before.

First, when trying to add the OBI I couldn't get past the NEXT screen after calling the server # and keying in the server code.  I reset the 200 (which was new out of the box) until the green light turned red.

After the restart I was able to continue with the OBI registration.

Second, when I added my GV email to the SP1 record, the OBI came back with the wrong GV phone number.  For snicks I dialed the # and got VM for another person.

I tried to re-configure GV, but the same thing kept happening until I deleted the SP1 entry completely and re-added my GV info.  The second time I did this, the right GV was displayed and the phone line is now working properly.

ODD
Logged
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester
*****
Posts: 5240



« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 02:09:56 pm »

I went to add a new OBI200 this week and ran into some weirdness I haven't seen before.

First, when trying to add the OBI I couldn't get past the NEXT screen after calling the server # and keying in the server code.  I reset the 200 (which was new out of the box) until the green light turned red.

After the restart I was able to continue with the OBI registration.

Regardless if it was "new out of the box", it didn't have the very latest firmware (as with all electronic gizmos, there's a time lag between manufacturing, shipping, distributing, selling, shipping again, etc.).  Sometimes the initial addition of the device to the portal goes awry for some unknown reason, and resetting it properly updates the firmware and all's well.

Quote
Second, when I added my GV email to the SP1 record, the OBI came back with the wrong GV phone number.  For snicks I dialed the # and got VM for another person.

The OBiTALK device has no idea what the phone number is for Google Voice.  You authenticate to a Google account.  The Google account has the Google Voice service.  All you're doing is authorizing OBiTALK to access that service, with whatever phone number might be assigned to it.  I can't imagine how you accomplished that scenario, unless your Google Voice configuration has an old, abandoned linked/forwarding phone number on it, which was re-issued by the carrier, to some other customer.
Logged

--Steve

Google Voice Forum Product Expert

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice
madhatter
Jr. Member
**
Posts: 37


« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 09:34:38 am »

correct, that's why I called it "weirdness" that the wrong GV # would appear.  This was a newly created GV #.  And, as mentioned, once I deleted the SP1 record and re-entered my GV email address, then the correct # appeared.  WEIRD.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:36:28 am by madhatter » Logged
RFC3261
Full Member
***
Posts: 249


« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 06:49:05 pm »

WEIRD.
I suspect (but obviously cannot prove) that the device that was sold to you as NIB was actually a refurbished unit (or a used unrefurbished unit sold as new).  There are a number of sellers who will try to pass off a "slightly used, only by grandma on weekends" device as new, and some people who will return a unit that they could not get to work and claim they never opened the box (in order to avoid restocking fees).

Nevertheless, if it works now, it does not really matter (although it might be interesting to verify that in the dashboard it shows the warranty status as 1 yr from when you first activated it).
Logged
madhatter
Jr. Member
**
Posts: 37


« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:03 pm »

I didn't think about it being a return ... although something was really goofey about the setup.  I've setup 5 of these Obi's and never had these problems.  So thanks for your input and advice to check the warranty.  I did and the warranty is OK.  But never thought to check it.
Logged
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester
*****
Posts: 5240



« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 09:11:09 am »

I wouldn't assume it was a return.  If it had been previously added to someone else's dashboard, the warranty clock would have started at that time.  Also, the minute you added it to your dashboard, it would have cleared out any existing configuration.  I think this was just some trapped Martian swamp gas inside the box.
Logged

--Steve

Google Voice Forum Product Expert

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/voice
madhatter
Jr. Member
**
Posts: 37


« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 09:21:36 am »

I attributed it to stuck electrons, you know, the little oval ones that get caught in the wires.
Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC