News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to access POTS line (Line 2) with Obi212?

Started by webraider, March 08, 2018, 05:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webraider

Just got my Obi 212 working with GV no problem.  I can't seem to get the regular phone line that's plugged into the Obi212 to work.  With my 110 if someone called me on that line, it automatically rang, and I could access it for calling out by dialing "#" first and waiting for the tone.  How do I get my POTS (Plain old telephone line) to work with the 212?  When it rings (as I call it from my cell phone), I can see one of the lights blinking to indicate a call, but my phone will not ring.  Am I missing something in the set-up?  Do I have a defective unit?  Any help would be appreciated.

drgeoff

I think you are slightly confused.  There is no Line 2 on an OBi212.

How have you configured the OBi212?

The 212 has a single PHONE port.  You want incoming calls on SP1 (your GV number) and LINE (your POTS number) to go to that PHONE port.

To get POTS dial tone on an OBi212 I believe you need to dial ##, instead of # as on the OBi110.  I believe you can also use the **70 prefix (instead of **8 on the OBi110) to make a call use the POTS line.

webraider

Quote from: drgeoff on March 09, 2018, 12:09:25 AM
I think you are slightly confused.  There is no Line 2 on an OBi212.  
The 212 has a single PHONE port.  You want incoming calls on SP1 (your GV number) and LINE (your POTS number) to go to that PHONE port.

First, thank you for your response...

I get what you are trying to say, but the device has four separate configurable services and a POTS port which are 4 virtual (if you will), and 1 hard line coming in, all that gets routed to 1 single lined phone (at least this is what I was told when speaking to Obihai, and when I read the specs and look at the control/configuration panel online).  This would basically work like call waiting, if people called the same number, but because they can call 5 different numbers and it can ring on one phone, it's essentially the same as having up to 5 lines.  Granted you can't use them at the exact same time like you can on a true 5 line system, but that requires more than one person on more than one phone.  I am just 1 person.. (Ie.. not a business).  I'm not interested in multiple services however, Just GV and the ability to have a bridged Landline connection.

How have you configured the OBi212?

I have used the standard configuration which is almost a self configuration for setting up Google Voice as my default calling out option.  (Had the same set-up on my Obi110).  I don't remember having to do too much tinkering on my Obi110.  If someone called me on the POTS line, my phone rang just as well as it did if someone called me on GV.  This device is NOT ringing or letting me answer any calls on the POTS.  The green LED that indicates the POTS line is active blinks when I get a call, but my phone does not ring.  Basically the OBI 212 is not routing the call to my telephone.  The OBI110 Did this no problem.

To get POTS dial tone on an OBi212 I believe you need to dial ##, instead of # as on the OBi110.  I believe you can also use the **70 prefix (instead of **8 on the OBi110) to make a call use the POTS line.

I will try to access it with **70 when I get home in a few hours.  The ## did NOT work at all.  This still doesn't solve the issue I'm having with the device not routing the call to my telephone.

I guess what I'm needing to know is about any additional configuration I need to do to get the POTS line to work as a secondary service that routes the call (Or via call waiting if on the phone) when someone calls, and let's me dial out on that line when I need to.  I could do all this with OBI 110.  

If the answer is there isn't any then this means I have a defective unit.  Since the unit has replaced the 110, there's no way for me to delete this and re-add the OBI110 because I'm greeted with a message telling me the device is obsolete and must be replaced by a newer device...

I have opened a ticket with Obihai but I have NOT heard back from them and I have done a "Factory Reset" on my own too.  

webraider

Okay. I was finally able to access the POTS line for calling by going into Expert, and clicking each check box from the OBITALK settings, to the Default settings, then again so that the columns where you can make manual changes are selected.  Doing this for both the PHONE1 and LINE areas works.  I can now dial out but the phone still won't route incoming calls to the phone.  Any ideas????

I still have not heard anything from support.   This was something that just worked on the 110.

webraider

okay... I solved the routing issues sort of by changing the ring delay to "0".  Now when the POTS line is called, the OBI rings my phone.  Not sure if this is the best setting for this but it seems to work.  Seems like OBI did not set these up properly.  My only issues now is that it will not let me answer the call.  It just keeps ringing even when I pick the phone up.  

I can call out on it by dialing ## now!

I'm making progress but still not there...

Would love to hear from support....

(I'll do some tinkering tomorrow to see if I can at least get it to answer the call....)

webraider

I finally figured out how to answer the call, but I have to dial ## if it's coming in on the POTS line.  AT least the device is now useable but how can I answer it without having to Barge in??

drgeoff

I don't have an Obi212 and OBihai do not seem to have published any manual for it so the following is based on what I do know about the OBi110 and OBi202.

Dialling ## is not the intended way to answer a POTS call.  Use the Expert Mode and go to Physical Interfaces, LINE Port.  Ensure that the InboundCallRoute is set to ph.  If that is not the default, I would be interested to know what the default for that is.

You should not need to change the RingDelay to 0 and doing so is likely to result in the CallerID number of a POTS caller not appearing on the phone (if the phone has that capability).  In the US (where I assume you are as the OBi212 does not seem to be available elsewhere yet) the Caller ID is typically sent between the first and second ring.  That is the reason for the default RingDelay being non-zero.

webraider

Thanks again for the reply!

Yes I am in the U.S.

Call routing is set to "ph"

I did find some extensive manuals on other devices and I read that changing the ringer was ok if no caller ID information is sent.

This may be where things are getting sticky.  The POTS line I have plugged in does not send any Caller ID information at all.  It is a standard POTS type phone line but it's part of an extensive in house PBX system that rings different apartments in the complex we have here.  Security/Concierge will use this to call us if we have guests coming to visit, or packages, and although we can call in house, outside calls cannot be made from this line.  Outside callers can however ring this extension by calling the general number for the apartment and then dialing the apartment number.   The extension in my apartment used by standard wall mounted telephone.  (which I changed to a cordless telephone some years ago)

On my OBI 110 in order to simplify things, I plugged the extension into the POTS line, then routed the output back to the wall phone and I have Google Voice and the in house line all on the same phone.  This worked without tweaking.

With this OBI212, I'm wondering if it's more sensitive to the caller ID, and something is being sent that it's either waiting for, or not understanding?  Maybe it's a voltage issue but the voltage has been enough to make a standard old fashioned wall mounted phone ring.

drgeoff

The lack of CallerID on your POTS input should not of itself be the cause of the phone not ringing.

I suggest you examine the Call History.  That is just about the only info that is not available via the Obitalk portal.  You get it using the 212's onboard web server.  Plug a computer into the LAN socket of the 212.  If the computer is set to get its IP address by DHCP it needs to be rebooted after plugging in to the 212.  If set with a static IP address, it needs to be in the range 192.168.10.2 to 192.168.10.255.

Then point a browser at 192.168.10.1.  The default login credentials are admin and admin.  Click on Status and then click on Call History.  Look at the calls coming in on LINE and see where they go in the right hand column.

As you intimated that incoming GV calls do ring the phone that would suggest there is nothing wrong with the ring voltage generating circuitry in the 212 nor with the wiring between it and the phone nor with the loading.

If those calls are not showing up at all in the Call History my first guess would be that the incoming ring voltage from the PBX is below the threshold set on the 212.  Go back to the Expert mode on the portal. Physical Interfaces, LINE Port and in the Ring Detection section try lower values of the RingThreshold parameter.

webraider

To do this I may have to move the Obi. I'm assuming that unplugging it is okay?. Also.. does there still have to be an internet connection for this work?

On a side note I have also tested the POTS line when powering the device off.  it works like it's supposed to (rings, let's me answer and dial out)

drgeoff

Quote from: webraider on March 10, 2018, 10:52:15 AM
To do this I may have to move the Obi. I'm assuming that unplugging it is okay?. Also.. does there still have to be an internet connection for this work?
Yes you can unplug as the Call History is stored in Flash memory.  For the same reason it does not need a connection to the internet.

An alternative to moving the OBi is to enable access to its web server via its INTERNET port (ie over your LAN).  I think that setting is available using the portal.  Look under System Management, Device Admin, Web Server for the AccessFromWAN.  If not use the phone and dial ***0.  At the voice prompt enter 30# then follow the prompts to enter a 1 and save it.  That enables access.  Then you can get to the onboard server by pointing a browser on your LAN at the OBi's IP address. (Not 192.168.10.1).  If you do not know that address, dial ***1 and it will be read out to you.

webraider

Okay.. I did it using the portal, by turning on the WAN feature from the dashboard.  

I'm attaching a JPEG of my call log... The first call #1 is a Google Voice call that I dialed my google voice, connect the call and hung up.  This created GT1-->PH1

the rest of the calls are calls to my POTS line.
These were just where I called and it the phone is ringing, but I did not connect the call..

When I actually answered the call by dialing ##, it creates a separate new call entry like call #2 which shows a different routing.  Line 3 was created when I dialed the number and 2 was created when I answered.

The POTS is being routed LI1 to PH1.. but when I answer by barging in.. it goes from PH1 to LI1 with a new call created in the log.

Calls from Google Voice are showing like this:
Call from GT1 to

drgeoff

I'm looking at the calls from LI1 to PH1 and do not understand why the 'Call ended' time is the same or almost the same as the 'Ringing' time for all of them.  What is causing them to reach the "Call ended" state?

Do you still have an old clunker wired phone to plug in to the OBi212 instead of the cordless one for testing purposes?

webraider

The call is ending so soon because I just dial in for it to ring and then hang up.. I'm ending it from my cell phone. 

drgeoff

We are at a stage where I have no logical explanation for the symptoms as I understand them.  So let's recap to check my understanding.

1.  An Obi212 with a cordless phone base station plugged directly (no connection to any other device or wiring) in to its PHONE jack and a POTS type line from the building's PBX plugged in to the LINE jack.

2.  GV configured on an SP.  Can make and receive calls over GV with no issues.

3.  Can get dial tone from the PBX by dialling ##.  From there can dial and successfully converse with other numbers on that PBX.  Can dial **70 followed by other numbers on the PBX and successfully converse with them.

4.  Incoming calls from the PBX ring the phone.  But taking the phone "off hook" does not answer the call.  The phone continues to ring.

5.  If the PSU is disconnected from the OBi212, incoming calls ring the phone.  Taking the phone off-hook causes the ringing to stop and two way conversation is possible in the normal manner.

webraider

The only change I would make is to #3..  I can only access the POTS line by dialing ##.  Dialing **70 does not work.

Also the pbx system is designed for a single line connection at the extension I use.  It rang an old fashioned bell telephone on that line and rang the cordless fine in the OBI110 and this one when the power is disconnected from OBI212.

At any rate I'm hoping support will contact me.  I did my ticket with them on Wednesday. I feel like they should have contacted me by Last Friday. 

drgeoff

a.  I fully expect that 3 is irrelevant.  And you may be incorrect about it.  Note that I worded differently the sentences about ## and **70.  Those two codes are not equivalent.  Dialling **70 will not give you dial tone from the PBX.  Dialling **70 followed by a PBX extension number should call that extension.  I understand you may be unable/unwilling to test that.

b.  What exactly does happen when the LINE input is rung?  What if anything do you hear in the earpiece when you take the phone off-hook in an attempt to answer the call.  Let's see the Call History in the case where you let it ring for 10 seconds, then take the phone off-hook for 10 seconds and then put the phone back on-hook.  Only then hangup the cellphone.  It could also be useful to do that again but to click on 'Call Status' after you have gone off-hook.  And do it again but click on 'Phone and Line Status' after you have gone off-hook.  Screenshots for all 3 with cellphone number redacted.

c.  Do not get you hopes up about OBi support.  I have never needed their help but many of their answers I see reported in this forum are (to put it diplomatically) less than encouraging.  :(

d.  If you want to reinstate the OBi110, see http://www.obifirmware.com/ and ignore the "End of Life" stuff on the portal.

webraider

Quote from: drgeoff on March 11, 2018, 11:45:35 AM
a.  I fully expect that 3 is irrelevant.  And you may be incorrect about it.  Note that I worded differently the sentences about ## and **70.  Those two codes are not equivalent.  Dialling **70 will not give you dial tone from the PBX.  Dialling **70 followed by a PBX extension number should call that extension.  I understand you may be unable/unwilling to test that.

I did try dialing it with an extension afterward.  This did not work.  I agree it may not be relevant except that the **70 with an extension afterward did not work.  I just get a voice message "No service configured".

b.  What exactly does happen when the LINE input is rung?  What if anything do you hear in the earpiece when you take the phone off-hook in an attempt to answer the call.  Let's see the Call History in the case where you let it ring for 10 seconds, then take the phone off-hook for 10 seconds and then put the phone back on-hook.  Only then hangup the cellphone.  It could also be useful to do that again but to click on 'Call Status' after you have gone off-hook.  And do it again but click on 'Phone and Line Status' after you have gone off-hook.  Screenshots for all 3 with cellphone number redacted.

What I do hear if I do nothing (Not barging in using the ##) is a dial tone.  The phone is ringing but I pick up and hear a dial tone.  Now do you want me to do this experiment by calling the extension from my cellphone, picking up and NOT dialing the ## because this will result in an unanswered call.  the Hook won't register for that line in this case. I can do this and will try to submit it sometime tonight. if this is what you're suggesting me to do.

Or do you want me to do this and barge in or both?? I'm using the word barge because I"m pretty sure that's what I'm actually doing.

Quote from: drgeoff on March 11, 2018, 11:45:35 AMc.  Do not get you hopes up about OBi support.  I have never needed their help but many of their answers I see reported in this forum are (to put it diplomatically) less than encouraging.  :(

I'm not going to get upset but If they don't at least reach out to me, I'll more than likely return this and exchange it for another one because my thought is that it's either defective or they have done a crummy job of setting up the default settings.  If that's the case I'll return the second one and just use the OBI110 until it can no longer be used. (which I don't know when that will be).  

I also purchased the Wifi dongle which Ill have to decide whether to keep it or return it with the one I have now, and purchase a second one with the exchanged Obi212.  I don't want to loose my return window on it and be stuck with something I can't use if I decide to return my other OBI.  

My gut is telling me they have screwed something up in a rush to get these out the door that can be fixed with a firmware or setting update, but I don't know.

d.  If you want to reinstate the OBi110, see http://www.obifirmware.com/ and ignore the "End of Life" stuff on the portal.

Now this I will definitely keep as an option.  I may also ultimately decide to simply relinquish my Google phone number to faxing and use the OBI for a multi-function device and go back to just keeping the PBX phone for security.  That would mean any ordinary OBI will work.  

drgeoff

No, don't barge in with ##.  Just take the phone of-hook in the same way as answering a GV call.

I know there aren't many 212s out there yet but if this is a bug, I'm surprised no-one else has reported the problem.  People invariably buy the 212 because they want to use the POTS input.  It's not as if you are trying to use it in a way that is technically different from anyone else.

webraider

Okay.. Here's part one of my experiment. 

This one shows the phone ringing for 10 seconds, I pick up the hook for 10 seconds, I then hang up after 10 seconds.  Call is finally terminated by Cellphone (after it went to in house voice mail which I can't disable...)