December 05, 2019, 02:25:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to access POTS line (Line 2) with Obi212?  (Read 35194 times)
webraider

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 05:21:06 pm »

using the OBI110 Power supply with the OBI212 works... WHY would that make a difference?Huh  could the new power supply be faulty???
drgeoff
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 05:23:57 pm »

Does turning the new PSU through 180 degrees (ie swapping the AC pins over) make a difference?
webraider

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 05:43:57 pm »

I don't know.. when I tried to see, I can't get it work, and now I can't get it to work with the older plug...Could there be a magic position?  Do I need to unplug ad re-plug it in every time?
webraider

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 06:10:51 pm »

Do you think this might be a defective unit?
webraider

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 07:23:53 pm »

Okay.. Here's what I found.. I can only use the OLDER power cord, and I can only use that cord with the long tail of the adapter plugged in going off to the right hand side from the power outlet on the wall (or power strip).  If I plug it in with the long tail going to the right, it gives me the same result where it will ring but I have to barge in.  The Newer power cord only gives me the latter no matter how I position it.  

I really don't understand how that is.  

I also do have to set the ringer time to 0, but everything else is default settings.  

I'm still wondering if I exchange this unit for another if the result will be the same.  There is clearly a minor difference in my PBX POTS line.. because the port acts normal with any plug.  This didn't bother my 110 but it does bother my 212.

My Solution so far for ANYONE else who see's this.  I'm using an older power cord that went with my OBI110, plugged into the wall where the long tail of it goes off to the right hand side.  I then have my Ring Delay from the  Line Port settings under physical interfaces, set to 0.  

It's working perfectly.  My OBI110 caller ID would tell me if the call was NY.  This one on GV tells me out of the area.  Not sure why that is.  There may be a setting I can set, but it's not a huge deal. Everything is working now.

I'm still wondering if something in my unit is defective.  It shouldn't be this way, but at least it's consistent.

webraider

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 08:35:28 pm »

Thank you for your help drgeoff!  I would not have thought about the power adapter!!!
drgeoff

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 07:40:29 am »

Clearly something is not quite right. An incomplete list of possibilities includes:

1.  The PBX
2.  The wiring from the PBX being "leaky" to somewhere or picking up interference.  Is xDSL service in the building?
3.  The OBi212
4.  Very "dirty" 110 volt AC supply in your room or the whole building.
5.  RF borme interference from outside your room or from some of your other equipment

We have not been able to conclusively eliminate any of them.

That the fault can be affected by connecting the 110 or variations in power supply arrangement do make me wonder about "stray" signals.

Is the PBX line wired to more than one wall jack?  Is it possible to move the OBi212 to a different point in your apartment?

There is another test you should run to eliminate the cordless phone.  Unplug the base from the Obi212 and from the mains supply.  Take the batteries out of the handset.  Repeat the test where the Call History showed 'Call ended'  occuring at the same time as the onset of ringing.
webraider

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 02:50:27 pm »

Is the PBX line wired to more than one wall jack?  Is it possible to move the OBi212 to a different point in your apartment?

I only have on jack so moving it isn't really an option.

I have quite a few things plugged into a power strip.  This is due to me having such a small NYC apartment.  It. could d in theory be any of the items plugged in, BUT I have changed to another outlet to test it there.   Same issue.  If I use the old plug, and plug it in correctly (ie.. the correct polarity), then it works correctly.  If not, then it has the same symptoms.

What I may do is order another OBI 212 and test it to see if it does/behaves the same thing, but now that I have it working, I may just leave things the way they are.

As for the PBX, whatever it's issue may be, I'm sure it didn't just begin having that issue when I plugged in the 212.  I don' know any specifics about it.  It may be slightly under powered, and somehow the Ethernet port/Other plug might be adding just enough to compensate. 

Just being speculative here, but if there is something slightly wrong with the OBI, do you think it could cause further issues?

tushar

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2018, 01:28:39 am »

If anyone is looking to make the POTS line the default outgoing line, all I had to do is enter Obi Expert Mode and set Physical Interfaces > Phone 1 > PrimaryLine to PSTN Line. With this setting:
  • Incoming calls on POTS or any SPs can be directly answered without any modifiers (like ##)
  • Default dial out line is POTS. No modifiers required.
  • To use SP1 (in my case Google Voice) as the outgoing line use **1 followed by number
drgeoff

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 02:08:34 am »

If anyone is looking to make the POTS line the default outgoing line, all I had to do is enter Obi Expert Mode and set Physical Interfaces > Phone 1 > PrimaryLine to PSTN Line. With this setting:
  • Incoming calls on POTS or any SPs can be directly answered without any modifiers (like ##)
  • Default dial out line is POTS. No modifiers required.
  • To use SP1 (in my case Google Voice) as the outgoing line use **1 followed by number

Setting the Primary Line has NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on incoming calls to the LINE jack or any SP.  The Primary Line affects only the routeing of outgoing calls.
tushar

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2018, 01:33:42 am »

Setting the Primary Line has NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on incoming calls to the LINE jack or any SP.  The Primary Line affects only the routeing of outgoing calls.
That wasn't my observation. Without setting the primary line to POTS, I needed to press ## to answer incoming calls on the POTS line.
drgeoff

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2018, 09:49:44 am »

That wasn't my observation. Without setting the primary line to POTS, I needed to press ## to answer incoming calls on the POTS line.

Until I can use an Obi212 myself (they are not yet available here in the UK) I cannot categorically say that you are wrong.  However I can say that what you report is not how an OBi212 is intended to work.  Also I am not aware of anyone else with an OB2i12 finding the same as you have said.
ChrisJ

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2018, 07:22:54 pm »

Okay. I was finally able to access the POTS line for calling by going into Expert, and clicking each check box from the OBITALK settings, to the Default settings, then again so that the columns where you can make manual changes are selected.  Doing this for both the PHONE1 and LINE areas works.  I can now dial out but the phone still won't route incoming calls to the phone.  Any ideas?Huh

Thank you webraider.

I had the same problem:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14025.0

I was also unable to access my POTS line for calling out.  Incoming POTS line calls did work, however.

Your solution for going into EXPERT mode, accessing the PHONE and LINE settings under PHYSICAL INTERFACES, unclicking all ObiTALK Settings, then unclicking all Device Default Settings, and submitting, worked. 

I can now use "# #" to dial out on my POTS line.

Your screenshots helped:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13651.msg87638#msg87638

Thank you!  I was just about ready to return my OBI212 before my return time expired.

Chris
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: