News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Advice on purchase and what I am wanting to do please

Started by beachin, August 20, 2011, 12:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachin

[font=Hi, I am a newbie and I have not purchased the system yet. I would like to do that today but need to make sure that what I want to do will work and that there won't be a lot of bugs. I currently have a MagicJack. I am tired of being stuck to the computer to use it. Also tired of the strain I feel it puts on my computer and I don't feel safe with having to open a port for it. I saw posts here where you have to do the same thing apparently for this product.

MagicJack by the way has come out with the new MagicJack Plus which gets plugged into your router. Not your computer if you want it that way. Then you don't have to leave your computer on. My concern with MagicJack is that they can shut off your service or change your number and you are not allowed to connect to other VoiP's like sipgate or GV. They can just up and disconnect you if they want. On the other hand I have been using their service for a year and I know it works.... I just moved here. I just came back from a brief year in Mexico and am glad to be back in the US but not working yet so trying to do what I can for the least amount of money.

First of all, I am looking at buying the D-Link DIR-601/RE Wireless N 150 Home Router. I currently have a D-link but it's quite old and there are no more software updates. This one looks to have positive feedback. Does anyone have an opinion on it. I can get it for around $20 including shipping. My MagicJack expires in 6 days so I have to get things ordered if I am going to do this. On my network I have a Roku and a Wii, two computers and, well, that's it. Two computers are down. I have a pre-paid T-mobile plan with a Nokia N95. I had an Xperia X1 but it got stolen the first week I was in Mexico... Lot's of those stories!!!!

Basically, I want to use Sipgate to receive inbound calls because it's free. I already have a number. I am in AZ now. It is a Tucson number but it should still be free for me right??? I have a GV number. It's not local to AZ either. I am from WA originally. I want to set it up to make out bound calls because that's free as well. Does anyone know if that is going to change and if so what to expect?

I live in a two story townhouse and will be running my business from home. So, I need to be able to fax. Can I do that from GV? Then I also want my cell phone to be hooked into it so that I can make calls without using my minutes as long as I am logged onto the web. When I am not I want to be able to pick up one of the house phones without being glued to the computer and being able to move around the house with a cordless phone.

So, 1. I need advice on the router purchase, 2, on the best way to set this up, 3. If it's very workable and very simple and which OBi I need to purchase.....

Thanks in advance for anyone's input and or opinion.  ??? ;)[/font][/font]
Just to say a little about myself. I am computer literate but not a "coder" all this new phone stuff confuses me and I need to make the right buying choice and have everything function!

beachin

I'm just currious. Is there very much support here because this product already looks confusing and I see that 26 people have read my post but no one has offered an opinion at all. Should I post this somewhere else???
Just to say a little about myself. I am computer literate but not a "coder" all this new phone stuff confuses me and I need to make the right buying choice and have everything function!

VaHam

Hi, I am a newbie and I have not purchased the system yet. I would like to do that today but need to make sure that what I want to do will work and that there won't be a lot of bugs. I currently have a MagicJack. I am tired of being stuck to the computer to use it. Also tired of the strain I feel it puts on my computer and I don't feel safe with having to open a port for it. I saw posts here where you have to do the same thing apparently for this product.

You do not have to open any ports for a MJ provided you have a properly working router which supports UPnP and have it set up correctly.

MagicJack by the way has come out with the new MagicJack Plus which gets plugged into your router. Not your computer if you want it that way. Then you don't have to leave your computer on. My concern with MagicJack is that they can shut off your service or change your number and you are not allowed to connect to other VoiP's like sipgate or GV. They can just up and disconnect you if they want. On the other hand I have been using their service for a year and I know it works.... I just moved here. I just came back from a brief year in Mexico and am glad to be back in the US but not working yet so trying to do what I can for the least amount of money.

The versatility and ability to use an ATA such as the OBi does have advantages over any of the locked devices such as the MJ, NetTalk Duo and Ooma etc.

First of all, I am looking at buying the D-Link DIR-601/RE Wireless N 150 Home Router. I currently have a D-link but it's quite old and there are no more software updates. This one looks to have positive feedback. Does anyone have an opinion on it. I can get it for around $20 including shipping.

I saw that others have reported problems with VOIP using this router and a firmware upgrade may be needed http://www.voipphoneplanet.com/news/new-firmware-for-the-dir-601 It appears that the 601 can handle dd-wrt which IMHO give you very good control over your network and can easily manage VOIP in addition to other features. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=88838

My MagicJack expires in 6 days so I have to get things ordered if I am going to do this. On my network I have a Roku and a Wii, two computers and, well, that's it. Two computers are down. I have a pre-paid T-mobile plan with a Nokia N95. I had an Xperia X1 but it got stolen the first week I was in Mexico... Lot's of those stories!!!!

Since you have several pieces of equipment on your network you may need to do some work in order to get QOS tuned. DD-WRT can handle this for you but will require some work on your part.

Basically, I want to use Sipgate to receive inbound calls because it's free. I already have a number. I am in AZ now. It is a Tucson number but it should still be free for me right??? I have a GV number. It's not local to AZ either. I am from WA originally. I want to set it up to make out bound calls because that's free as well. Does anyone know if that is going to change and if so what to expect?

Yes you can register one of your two SIP trunks on the OBi to Sipgate and the other to GV.  You can receive calls from either and place calls on GV.  I would recommend putting the GV on SP1 and Sipgate on SP2 since the OBi come configured to attempting an outgoing call on SP1 first by default.

I live in a two story townhouse and will be running my business from home. So, I need to be able to fax. Can I do that from GV? Then I also want my cell phone to be hooked into it so that I can make calls without using my minutes as long as I am logged onto the web. When I am not I want to be able to pick up one of the house phones without being glued to the computer and being able to move around the house with a cordless phone.

FAX over VOIP is challenging with any provider.  In general best results can be achieved by slowing down the FAX speed.  I have not personally tried FAXing over GV. 

So, 1. I need advice on the router purchase, 2, on the best way to set this up, 3. If it's very workable and very simple and which OBi I need to purchase.....

Routers are like cars which one do you prefer?  It appears that the 601 can be made to handle VOIP but may not do so right out of the box.  The price you quoted seems to be very good.  With multiple devices running you are most likely going to need QOS.  I prefer the OBi 110 over the OBi 100 since it allows for a regular POTS line (or one from another device such as MJ or NetTalk) to be plugged in and then your phone can make and receive calls from that as well as your OBi setup VOIP trunks.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that you will not have 911 capability with this setup unless you do plug in a line which has that feature into the OBi since GV does not provide 911.  There are ways discussed here on this forum to program the OBi to call the regular number for your emergency operations center where 911 is when you dial 911 on the phone.  So something similar to 911 can be achieved but it is not quite the same.  In some localities the non 911 lines are not manned with the same level of service.

QBZappy

As VaHam mentioned, 911 call can be programmed on the OBi to be sent to a local emergency telephone number. Users should not forget that cell phones have 911 calling ability. Even if you don't have an active acct cell providers in Canada leave 911 functional. I understand that it may be similar in the US.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

beachin

Thanks for the information. I am partial to the D=link because that's what I am using so I think I will stick with it and just do the firmware update.