News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any Problems With Voice Lag/Delay Using Obi Device?

Started by brad.mccollum, March 17, 2018, 03:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad.mccollum

We have had an Ooma Telo for our home phone service for I guess about 6 or 7 years. We have never been fully pleased with it as there is always a very noticeable lag in voice lag during a conversation that basically causes the parties on both ends of the conversation to step on each others conversation if that makes sense, due to the voice lag/delay.

I'm seriously considering going through the process of porting the number assigned to our Ooma Telo first to a throwaway cell phone, then once that is ported, porting that number now associated with the cell to Google Voice, and using Google Voice with a new Obi device.

I have yet to purchase an Obi200 but am possibly doing that later today. I am very curious if anyone else using the Obi200 device has any noticeable or problematic issues as far as voice delay/lag that makes it difficult to carry on a fluid conversation using a phone connected to the Obi200?

As long as the voice lag or delay on a phone connected to an Obi200 isn't any more than what we all experience using a cell phone, I am good with it.

Thank you in advance very much for your information.

DavidForum

I'm surprised that you haven't gotten replies to your question. I can only speak to my own experience with lag or delay during a conversation. I was a Vonage user for years. I am now a user of Google Voice on an OBi200. The voice lag is about the same on both, but it really isn't a problem for me. There's also a lag using my cell and it seems to be about the same as using VOIP. My cable Internet speed is usually about 35 to 40 Mbps download and about 6 Mbps upload, but I don't think that it's just a matter of speed.

I have owned an OBi200 for going on two weeks and both my wife and I have been very pleased with its performance.
The voice quality is excellent using Google Voice. I have been pleasantly surprised at the performance.

I hope this proves to be helpful.

brad.mccollum

Thank u so much for the feedback! We finally got our Ooma # ported to Google Voice a few days ago and have been using our home phones with Google Voice since then. No issues. Very good sound quality. I feel like the voice delay is like u said... roughly the same as what's typical for a cellular call.

I wish our wireless router had configurable QoS (Quality of Service) settings to where I could put a higher priority on bandwidth for the Obi200 device for calls. Doesn't though.

We are very pleased with the Obi200 / Google Voice thus far.

Thanks again 4 the feedback!