Repeat calls"rejected by service provider ... reason 480", Obi 100, simonics, GV

Started by rhk1, March 18, 2018, 06:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhk1

I'm using an Obi 100 to a Google Voice account, using the simonics GVGW gateway since some time in December,2017.  (I had been using the Obi 100 with my Google Voice account with no problems, or, at least no unresolved problems.  The setup including the GVGW had been working fine up until a few days ago (or, at least that's when I noticed the problem--the window of time in which the problem might have started might have been as long as two weeks as I don't make phone calls very often).

The problem now may have two symptoms:

* The first thing I noticed was that I could make a call to a given number, but if I later had to call that same number for whatever reason, the second attempt did not work, and I got a voice message saying (approximately) "rejected by service provider ... reason 480"

* Then yesterday, I tried to make a call that, iirc, to a number I hadn't called previously and I got the same message.

Since then I've googled a fair amount, and didn't find anything helpful.

Aside: Obviously, I want to solve my problem, but, in addition, I find the whole thing of using Obi and now the simonics gateway and google voice using a POTelephone pretty confusing, and would like to understand more, including these specific questions:

* Where is that message generated--in my Obi 100, at simonics, at obi, at google, or somewhere else?

* Which is the service provider who rejected the message--is it simonics, obi, google, or something else?

* What is the definition of reason 480?  Is there a list of such messages, what they mean, where they are generated and such?  Are those messages unique--I mean if I get a message 480, does it always mean the same thing, or might the meaning vary depending on what device or service provider generates the message?  (See next paragraph.)

Today, I found DSL reports, and, in an old post that might or might not be relevant, I found a reference to reason 480 and it seems that it means (at least sometimes) "No route to host".  So now I have similar questions--or just let's say, what does it mean, no route to host--what specific device(, server, or host) doesn't have a route to what other specific server or device?

Aside: BTW the post that mentioned reason 480 is: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28918051-Can-t-register-2nd-ATA-phone-line-with-FPL?search=reason%20480

Continuing: I have trouble believing I have any connectivity issues at my end, but let me describe "my end".

I have a DSL modem, in bridge mode connected to a Ubiquiti edge router (that was added to my setup to allow me to setup some QOS "stuff" to make the Obi work better--that has been in service since something like September, 2017 with no unresolved problems), the Ubiquiti has Etherlink links to Ethernet switches at my desk and my son's desk.  At my desk, I have two PCs connected, the Obi100, and sometimes I plug in either a laptop or a WAP to use a  tablet.  The permanently connected devices use static IP addresses, and I have no recent or current problems with connectivity (to the Internet) for any of those devices.

Sorry for writing so much.

Obviously, I want to get the current problem resolved, so that is my highest priority.  But, like I say, I would like some better understandings re the questions I've listed.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

drgeoff

That voice message is generated in your OBi when it receives the 480 error code.

List of codes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_response_codes

The only calls which use OBihai servers are calls over the Obitalk network (ie calls to a 9 digit OBi number like that on the bottom of your OB100).  GV calls (through Simonics gateway or not) do not use any OBi equipment except your OBi100.

rhk1

Thank you very much, drgeoff!

For anyone also viewing this thread, this does not resolve my problem, but it certainly helps--an update of my thinking:

1. This rules out the Obi servers as the source of the message (and as the source of the problem).

2.  See below--reason 480 could be a problem on the callee's end (i.e., neither (my) Simon Telephonics nor (my) Google Voice account) but, because it has happened for 3 different callees, at three different business or government facilities, I still suspect my end more than the callee end.  (I guess from my Obi 100's perspective, the callee could include my Simon Telephonics or Google Voice "accounts".)

3.  The other thing that I can hope for (although I prefer not to depend on luck), message 480 says that the callee is temporarily unavailable which implies that the problem is temporary, and maybe the problem won't recur when I retry the calls tomorrow. ;-)  (I've made a few calls today just for test and haven't had the problem--I guess I should try the numbers that had the problem, even though no one will answer today.)

I'll also read that Wikipedia list of messages a little more carefully, I may get some insight (in the way of ruling out problems) based on the messages that I'm not getting.

Further information / insights will be appreciated!

From the list of messages on Wikipedia, reason 480 is:

<quote>
480 Temporarily Unavailable
    Callee currently unavailable.[1]:ยง21.4.18
</quote>

rhk1

Just a further update--if my hope is that the problem is temporary, it is not temporary enough--still having the problem today.

billsimon

Things to do and things to consider.

To do:

Go to simonics.com/gw and use the button that reads Offline/Online to toggle your account offline and then toggle it back online. If it's already listed as Offline, then maybe your device isn't registered. Check on that.

To consider:

Google Voice via XMPP does not provide us any useful information about why a call doesn't go through. It either rings or we get a generic failure message back from Google that is translated by the SIP gateway into 480 Temporarily Unavailable, lacking any better info. It could be busy, disconnected, rejected because of insufficient funding, or other things. This is unfortunate but it's out of our hands.

Also, Google Voice is kind of flaky, and for some people more than others. Why? We don't know because Google doesn't talk about it. A number of people have experienced problems in the last week where their incoming calls (either to Obihai GV connection or to Google Voice Gateway) have no media and thus get rolled over into voicemail. This isn't the first time and there have been other strange issues.

Neither Obihai (correct me if I'm wrong, but I havent seen it) nor Simon Telephonics will provide any guarantees about Google Voice service for these reasons. But when it works, it's pretty nice. :)

As a general status update, I am not seeing any widespread issues with GVGW nor with the several accounts I have configured there for testing/regular use. But if you think there's a problem with the service or your account on the service please let me know directly.

GPz1100

To the OP, you could try the dialing the same call through hangouts.  I believe that does pass messages that might be heard from the other end (early media) before the call connection is finalized (stream established)? 

rhk1

Thanks for the additional replies!  I've pretty much run out of time for now--I may get some more time later tonight.

There was a reason I didn't switch from Google Voice to Hangouts--I think it had to with losing all of my past call history, so I'm not sure I want to try Hangouts.  Any advice on how to try Hangouts without messing up my Google Voice will be appreciated.

(Also, later tonight I'll try to go to my Simon Telephonics account and check the online / offline status and maybe toggle it.)

Oh, and in the context of telephonics, what is media--I assume it is not anything like hard drive or floppy disks--maybe just a working telephone wire--I'll have to read more carefully later and try some googling.

GPz1100

On an android device you shouldn't lose anything by trying hangouts.  I can place calls through hangouts (don't forget to install the dialer) and still see the full history in google voice including texts, calls, missed calls and voice messages.

rhk1

Sorry, I've been "off the air" for a few days due to personal issues (and now snow). ;-)

To bring things up to date:

Sometime Sunday, after seeing the reply from Bill Simon suggesting that:

<quote>
Go to simonics.com/gw and use the button that reads Offline/Online to toggle your account offline and then toggle it back online. If it's already listed as Offline, then maybe your device isn't registered. Check on that.
</quote>

Before trying that, I tried calling one of the numbers, and it worked, so I decided not to toggle the Offline / Online button ("leave well enough alone" ;-) (Of course, no one was there on a Sunday to answer the call, but it did ring and did not give me the "call rejected" message.)

Today I attempted to call the same number and I got the call rejected message.  I went to that simonics.com/gw page and did toggle the Online/Offline button (first offline, then back online) and the call worked (but the person I was calling didn't answer--I was able to leave a message).

So, does that tell us anything?  Narrow down the source of the problem?

For the time being, I'll try to make my calls, and, if I get the rejected message, I'll try the toggle.

I'll report back again if any of:
   * the offline / online toggle doesn't allow me to make the call
   *after a period of time (two weeks or so?) if that (the toggling) seems to work consistently or if I no longer see the problem.

I would still like to know more about the situation, but maybe Bill told me all that can be known at this point when he wrote:

<quote>
Google Voice via XMPP does not provide us any useful information about why a call doesn't go through. It either rings or we get a generic failure message back from Google that is translated by the SIP gateway into 480 Temporarily Unavailable, lacking any better info. It could be busy, disconnected, rejected because of insufficient funding, or other things. This is unfortunate but it's out of our hands.

Also, Google Voice is kind of flaky, and for some people more than others. Why? We don't know because Google doesn't talk about it.
</quote>

I guess in my head, I'm leaning towards thinking it is a Google Voice problem.

Oh, I suppose I might try Hangouts on my Android phone if the problem persists and I feel brave (as I said, I don't want to lose any history I have in Google Voice).

rhk1

<quote>
I guess in my head, I'm leaning towards thinking it is a Google Voice problem.
</quote>

Hmm, I don't know why I said / thought that--if toggling the GVGW (the simonics thing) resolves the problem, even temporarily, it would seem that the GVGW should remain under suspicion.

billsimon

Yes, it suggests something - I don't know what - about your GVGW account.

The toggle may be a coincidence.

Do you place many calls in a row? I don't have firm data on how many is too many, but Google seems to throttle calling behavior if it looks potentially like dialer or heavy use. And then eventually the throttling is lifted.

There are mysteries to Google Voice, and I have studied it a lot. :)

There could also be something wrong with GVGW, but generally speaking, it's working fine, or I'd get many complaints and my own several phones and Asterisk trunk to GVGW would exhibit weird behavior, which is not the case.

rhk1

No, I don't place many calls in a row--I don't even place many calls in a day ;-)

After the one call that worked on Sunday, I think I made maybe 2 calls on Monday (or did they call me--not sure now), then today I think I made four calls--the one that failed, then the same one after toggling the GVGW (and leaving a message), then one more to that number, and then one more to a different number. 

I hope there are no problems with your GVGW, but I will say that I didn't have a problem like this before the GVGW, otoh, I've been using the GVGW since something like early December, and this is the first time I've had problems.

SteveInWA

So:

You're thirteen posts into this discussion, with no insight as to what is going on, and you said at the outset that "I find the whole thing of using Obi and now the simonics gateway and google voice using a POTelephone pretty confusing".

I'm going to suggest a more meaningful way to troubleshoot this:  you need to first test and confirm the basic operation of your Google Voice configuration without the added complexity of using an OBi with the GVGW.

To do this, you must have at least one 10-digit US mobile or land line telephone number linked as a forwarding phone number for your inbound Google Voice number.  If you haven't already done so, add and verify a phone number now, from the Google Voice laptop/desktop website:  https://voice.google.com/settings

Unplug your OBi from electric power.

If you added a mobile phone number, which is on an Android or iPhone, then install the mobile Google Voice app (the genuine app, authored by Google, and NOT the fake "GV Phone by Mo+" app).  Make some calls from your mobile phone and see what happens.

If you added a traditional land line phone number, call your own Google Voice number from that phone, barge into your voicemail greeting, enter your PIN and #, then enter 2 to place a new outbound call, and see what happens.

Report back here with only that information.  I don't want a bunch of other unrelated stuff in your reply, just whether or not Google Voice is working properly, without using your OBi.

rhk1

This is not a reply to Steve in WA (I drafted one once and decided not to send it --for the moment I will say that Google Voice usually works fine, and the problem I'm having i intermittent, so I'm pretty sure it is not a configuration problem with Google Voice or the Obi 100 --it likely would not be an intermittent problem.)

Anyway, I'm writing tonight to say that the problem is recurring at the moment, since 5:39, I've tried the UPS Pick UPS 800 number 6 times (over the last 10 minutes or so) and am continuing to get the 480 reason.

I'm going to send this now in case someone from Simonics is paying attention and can check to see if there is a current problem.

I will provide a little more information about the few other occurrences since the earlier reports in the next post.

billsimon

The XMPP connections to Google Voice via Simonics are in their waning days. We have a code update that should switch everyone over to the same method Obihai is now using, which I also expect to be more stable. Should happen early next week. Until then, sorry about the instability.

rhk1

A log of the (similar) problems that have occurred since the original report:

20180503 at 10:49am I believe I had another occurrence of this problem--on the other hand maybe it was something different as the reason given was 500 instead of 480.  (I didn't make a note of the phone number I was calling) -- iirc, I eventually got through, but it may have been the next day

20180510 at 7:24 pm on a call to 811: reason 480 --haven't tried the number since then (too busy with other things, not ready to dig ;-)

20180613 starting at 5:39 pm on a call to 800/042-5877 (UPS Pickup)  Tried six times, kept getting reason 480, then started writing these notes, got an incoming call (unrelated), and after I hung up, tried this number again, still getting reason 480.  May try every 10 -15 minutes to see if I get through.  Will report back later (but the next attempt, just before posting this gave me the 480 again.

rhk1

Bill, thanks for  your reply.  I hope you are right.  I am hoping I can get through to UPS tonight or early tomorrow.

rhk1

Ok, based on a recent email from Bill Simon, it is time to give up on the Obi 100 and switch to an Obi 200.

I plan to do some searching here for simple instructions to replace the Obi 100 with the Obi 200 -- I'm hoping I can do the "mechanical / electrical" replacement (unplug the Obi 100 and plug in the Obi 200 with the same cables, same power supply), and then make as few software configuration changes as possible.

I'll be looking for those simple instructions, but, if I can't find them, I'll start a new thread.

One of the things I will have to do is disable the Simonics GVGW.

BTW, I want to thank Bill (Simon) for his efforts to try to keep the Obi 100 working, but I understand if it just takes too many resources.