News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can a pause be programmed into a Speed dial ?

Started by Tominct, February 09, 2011, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominct

Is it possible to introduce a pause into a speed dial?  I host conference calls that require passcodes. I am programming in the call in numbers as speed dials today.  It would be handy to  program the number,  then create a  pause (allow the conf system to answer the call and prompt for the pass code)  and then have the unit input the passcode and a #. (in the systems I access the passcodes vary in length, no automatic entry when you get the code correct.  They require  the # to represent  "enter") I dont see it in the book so I experimented and tried a few characters with no luck.   I have seen it where a comma might represent a 1.5 second pause, so you can stack up the commas to obtain as long a  pause as is required.  The pass codes has to be fed through as normal touch tones (dtmf?) regardless if using PSTN or google voice.   

Each Speed dial would need to be able to handle at  least 25 digits length.  3 system select - (**8) + 11 digit number (allows a 1 prefix when using the PSTN) + 3 (pause characters) + 7 digit passcode + 1 ("#") to enter.    I have only ever seen the # key used.  Since Obihai uses the * key in its handset interface I am guessing that a pause can only be programmed in Obitalk, not possible to input on a handset since no key is available to represent the pause.

I never counted these before.  No wonder I often need to dial these things twice - i need to punch 25 keys. 

MichiganTelephone

I don't know if it would work in a speed dial, but when sending a call from an Asterisk server to a PSTN line connected to the OBi110 it appears that a w would produce a half second pause, and that a P might produce a bit longer pause.  Of course if these did work you'd have to enter them from the device's web interface.  Couldn't hurt to try.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

AES768

I have a need for this too.  I use pauses all the time on my cell phone stored contacts.  However, I have tried with the obi and no success yet.  I tried the following:

p
w

None of which work.  If someone does know the answer I'd love to find out.

nlof

nlof

Stewart

Quote from: nlof on February 02, 2012, 07:41:57 PM
Thanks Ron, I have the Obi100 so no joy :)
What is your specific application?  There may be a good solution.  Examples:

If you are calling a conferencing service, they may offer a direct SIP connection, where the conference ID is sent in the SIP URI.

If you are using a calling card for international calls, there is likely a VoIP provider with better quality and/or lower rates.

You may be able to use e.g. a free PBXes account to do the dialing.

nlof

Thanks Stewart, your suggestions sound very interesting , I'll look into them (and especially the PBXes account) just so I know what Obi is capable of doing :)

In my particular case I was trying to use GV to speed dial a local access number for Sipbroker and after a pause (to allow it to pick up), dial a voip number.
As a workaround I used the additional outgoing gateway method (explained here http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0 by RonR) to create a Sipbroker gateway in Obi and now I should be able to speed dial the Voip number directly...