News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using OBi200 and GV in business environment

Started by Cesium, March 20, 2018, 07:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cesium

I was just wondering if we can use Obi and Google voice in a commercial environment? We want to install about 25 of these but we are not sure if this is legal. Could someone help?

billsimon

It may be legal but it is not wise. Google Voice is not a reliable phone service provider. As I write, there's a problem affecting some number of users (several of whom have complained on this forum and on the Simon Telephonics forum) about incoming calls failing. Weird issues are an unfortunately common occurrence.

tpayne03

I've used two OBi & GVoice for a small business for 3 years with no problems.

There is a massive problem starting from Friday.  Incoming calls just aren't working.

Our phone system isn't super critical to business, so I am going to wait and see for a week.

Honestly the OBi 200s have worked well for years.  Silent workhorses, with no problems.

We use some basic QOS at the router / switch, and set up MAC filters for each device.  Has worked well for us.

We were paying $40/line for copper lines.  36 months * 2 Obis * $40/month  = $2,880 for two years of lines.  Use all of our old analog stuff.
---

25 users sounds like a bigger organization.  I would probably buy a commercial service.

If this isn't fixed by Friday, I'm going to port over to a pay service. Alas, the good times are over.

GPz1100

Incoming call issue not limited to obi either.  Had a call yesterday from a cable provider (570 area code) which just refused answering on my asterisk/freepbx config. Had to take the call on the cell phone instead.  No issues from other incoming calls.

Maybe call routing is some how playing into this.

As noted above, if you value your business, use the best phone services you can afford.