News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't get OBI302 to work with FIOS-G1100

Started by Sidemouse, March 20, 2018, 04:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidemouse

That is a Router Modem all-in-one.

Way I have it is Wall - routermodem - unit (as stand-alone off one of the ports)
The PC and a few other peripherals (printer, STB, 2nd Voip) take up the remaining ports.

I can NOT get a dial tone, I can NOT get obitalk to recognize / find my unit.

I've done a hard reset, they even sent me a second unit, all it does is it goes through the handshaking process over and over but I can never get a dial tone. 

drgeoff

All powered up OBi ATAs should give a dial tone to an off-hook handset.  Even without configuration.  Even without an internet connection.  Even without a connection to the LAN.  Even without a cable plugged into the ethernet jack.

It is very unlikely you have two faulty OBis.  Look to your phone and the phone cord.

What do you mean by "handshaking process"?

Sidemouse

Well I get NO dial tone under any circumstances, I may try and pick up another phone somewhere but the phone works fine with my nettalk unit, I do agree I can't see how it would be two faulty units...

For the record it's a CONAIRPHONE SW322WCS 10-Number Memory Speakerphone, like this one:

What do I mean by handshaking?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handshaking

drgeoff

Quote from: Sidemouse on March 21, 2018, 07:22:57 AM
By handshaking, it's what the unit DOES until it's all connected.
That tells me nothing.  :(

Do you mean its gets an IP address from your router and you can point a browser to that IP address and log in to the onboard web server management UI?

SteveInWA

I think Geoff clearly described that, in all circumstances, as long as an OBi device is plugged into its power adapter, and the power is on, the attached telephone will get a dial tone.

You can prove whether or not your phone is working:  unplug the power cord and the Ethernet cord, and plug in the RJ-11 telephone plug into the jack on the OBi.  Plug the power plug back in and wait for the left-most LED (the power LED, as you are looking at the OBi from the front side, cables pointing away from you).  When that LED stops blinking, pick up the phone.  If you don't get a dial tone, then your phone or its cord are bad.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 21, 2018, 08:41:04 AMWhen that LED stops blinking, pick up the phone.  If you don't get a dial tone, then your phone or its cord are bad.
Or the PHONE port on the OBi is dead.  Often caused by the OBi having been connected to house phone wiring which had not been properly disconnected from the external telco line.

SteveInWA

Heh heh, I guess we have to consider every possibility, even when the OP doesn't mention a potential cause like that.

Of course, we could explain how to look at the phone port voltages, but my bet is on a bad phone, unless the OP plugged both OBis into a live phone jack and a call came in, sending ring voltage into it. 

Years ago, I recall accidentally mixing up the phone and POTS line cords, plugging the POTS cord into the wrong jack on a 110, and no magic smoke escaped, and it worked afterward.

I've never wanted to intentionally ruin an OBi, so I haven't tested whether the typical ~48VDC on-hook voltage will damage the OBi 200 series' SLIC, or if the SLIC can survive it.  I know there is some internal protection circuit in the path, but I have no idea what it can withstand.

Sidemouse

Quote from: drgeoff on March 21, 2018, 07:26:55 AM
Quote from: Sidemouse on March 21, 2018, 07:22:57 AM
By handshaking, it's what the unit DOES until it's all connected.
That tells me nothing.  :(

Do you mean its gets an IP address from your router and you can point a browser to that IP address and log in to the onboard web server management UI?

I mean I can login to my router, determine that it has issued an IP address to the unit but I can NOT log in to the Obihai from any kind of web interface (such as chrome 192.191.whatever.IP.).

Sidemouse

drgeoff

1.  https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/troubleshooting

2.  The OBi202 and OBi302 have router functionality which is enabled by default.  The INTERNET and LAN ethernet jacks are on different subnets.  And by default, the onboard web UI is NOT accessible from the INTERNET side.  Connect the INTERNET jack to your router.  Connect  your computer to the LAN socket.  If the computer is set to get its IP address by DHCP it needs to be rebooted after connecting to the powered up OBi.  If the PC is set to a static IP address it needs to be in the range 192.168.10.2 to 192.168.10.255.  Then open a browser and go to 192.168.10.1.  You should see a dialogue box asking for username and password.  Both are admin.  At the extreme left side click on the + to the left of Status.  Then click on Phone Port Status.  You should see similar to the attached screenshot.  What numbers do you see in there?

3.  Where have you obtained these 302's from?

Sidemouse

1.....Yes I have tried most of this, to include DMZ Enabling etc (this I am really not fond of but for testing I'll do it) .

2. Ok, doing what you describe I am able to access the Internet (I type this as I am hooked into the Obi w. the Obi to the modem-router (Computer -> Obi -> Fios).
I am also able to login to the Obi, with or without a phone plugged in I get nothing from the Phone Status screen (attached screenshot).
- > Unfortunately I am either going to access the OBI or I can access the modem-router, once the cable is hooked up to either I can not access the other.
> For the record my PC runs Ubuntu, which is a flavor of Debian.

3. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Obihai-OBi302-VoIP-Telephone-Adapter-With-2-phone-ports-Router-USB/272591639055

Thank you as well for having taken the time out to help me with this.

SteveInWA

NEVER buy OBi equipment off of eBay or Craigslist.  Never.

Send the units back.  They were provisioned for a managed network, and locked to a service provider. 

Buy a factory-fresh, new OBi from Amazon, Newegg, Fry's, B&H Photo or other authorized retailer.  Otherwise, it's like buying a "ROLECKS"  watch.

drgeoff

^^^ What he said.

Usually a blank page like that means a hardware failure.  I don't know if being locked can produce the same lack of numbers though my best educated guess would be no it cannot.

Whatever, you are not going to get those units to work.

Sidemouse

That's right, now it's making sense, what you say about it being provisioned for a specific network tallies up in my book.  I did get the 2nd unit to produce actual numbers but without a dial-tone I am going to follow your advice and my own deductions which have all lead us to the same conclusion.

I want to thank you again for your time and assistance in this matter, I am sending these units back and going to buy a new one as I still would like to get away from paying $50-odd a year for the NetTalk Duo (however the Nettalk is one heck of a deal for the price, I have had a pretty decent experience with that system overall).

I did want to add that I just opened a return and within the hour received a full refund, the seller isn't requiring me to send it back... While some may take that the wrong way (as in, the seller had to have known) I give kudos to a seller who is so willing to oblige, I'm used to having to fight folks for a refund, this has not been the case here at all and it brings this story to a happy conclusion.

Thanks again, as a closing statement here's the screenshot from the other unit.

drgeoff

That second one definitely has a hardware fault.