News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Moving Obi to DMZ - Is that safe?

Started by deathraypa, March 20, 2018, 06:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathraypa

So it seems that the standard advice from tech support is to move an Obi into the DMZ.  My setup works well most time but there are instances when calls do not ring the house and eventually google voice mail picks up.  I have an old school answering machine set so that it answers before GV does which work fine but then again there are random times when it doesn't. or seems that that GV picked up too soon.

So it's been recommended to move the device into the DMZ.  Is this safe?  Are there other ways to accomplish this without all the exposure?

SteveInWA

I dunno why they recommend that, but it doesn't solve most problems, and it is not your problem, and no, it's not a good idea.

GPz1100

Our is set to pick up after 4 rings.  Works most of the time*.

*Situations where google voice will get the call include the following.

■ A call comes in while a number is being dialed on the obi connected handset
■ A call is already in progress, user does not switch to answer the 2nd incoming call.
■ The obi box is offline for whatever reason (power outage, internet outage, cat chewed through the cable, etc)
■ A google voice notification email comes through if the the caller hangs up before the answering machine picks up

There may be some other situations too. This is all I could come up with at this hour.

As you may or may not be aware of, there is a current issue with google voice and inbound calls.  Sometimes (most times) answering the call produces dead air.  If you're not already using callcentric's free DID for free CNAM and E911 ($1.50/month) you should consider it.  This also resolves the current issue above.

deathraypa

Quote from: GPz1100 on March 21, 2018, 12:17:53 AM
Our is set to pick up after 4 rings.  Works most of the time*.

*Situations where google voice will get the call include the following.

■ A call comes in while a number is being dialed on the obi connected handset
■ A call is already in progress, user does not switch to answer the 2nd incoming call.
■ The obi box is offline for whatever reason (power outage, internet outage, cat chewed through the cable, etc)
■ A google voice notification email comes through if the the caller hangs up before the answering machine picks up

There may be some other situations too. This is all I could come up with at this hour.

As you may or may not be aware of, there is a current issue with google voice and inbound calls.  Sometimes (most times) answering the call produces dead air.  If you're not already using callcentric's free DID for free CNAM and E911 ($1.50/month) you should consider it.  This also resolves the current issue above.

Never looked at callcentric but will.  Can I port my number?

SteveInWA

You can port your number out of Google Voice.  You must unlock it for porting out.

See:  https://support.google.com/voice/answer/1065667#xferout