News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't stop calls to Google Voice number from being forwarded to my cell phone

Started by prickly, March 22, 2018, 01:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prickly

I have just set up Obi200 - it is connected to the internet and to a cordless Panasonic Phone. I have 3 solid green lights on the Obi and can make outgoing calls fine. I have made calls from GV account through browser and through my cordless phone.

I have Google chat enabled (checked) in the legacy settings.

My cell phone is listed as a number under Forward calls to but it is not checked.

I have deleted Google Chat as an option, logged out of Google account, logged in made a outgoing call, and logged out, logged in and see that Google Chat is back as an option and is checked.

My firmware value is 3.2.1.5794.

Please advise on how I can get incoming calls to my GV number to ring on my cordless phone :)

GPz1100

Google chat should be checked as a forwarding option if you want to receive calls on your obi.

Not sure why they give you a delete option as it comes right back in when you log in again.  Why did you delete google chat?

prickly

I deleted Google Chat and went through that procedure because I saw it posted somewhere on this forum.

I do have Google Chat checked as the only forwarding option.

SteveInWA

Quote from: prickly on March 22, 2018, 01:24:25 PM
I have just set up Obi200 - it is connected to the internet and to a cordless Panasonic Phone. I have 3 solid green lights on the Obi and can make outgoing calls fine. I have made calls from GV account through browser and through my cordless phone.

I have Google chat enabled (checked) in the legacy settings.

My cell phone is listed as a number under Forward calls to but it is not checked.

I have deleted Google Chat as an option, logged out of Google account, logged in made a outgoing call, and logged out, logged in and see that Google Chat is back as an option and is checked.

My firmware value is 3.2.1.5794.

Please advise on how I can get incoming calls to my GV number to ring on my cordless phone :)

I'm not clear as to what, exactly, is happening.  Are you saying that, despite your settings, inbound Google Voice calls a) ring to your linked mobile phone number, but b) do not ring the OBi-attached phone?  If not, please clarify.  If so:

You said you checked settings.  It sounds to me like you have linked the wrong Google account to the OBi (an account other than the one with your Google Voice inbound phone number).

Call some other phone number, not your cell phone number, from the OBi-attached telephone.  Look at the caller ID number displayed on the ringing phone.  Is it the correct Google Voice number you want to use, or does it display a different phone number, or does it display nothing ("UNKNOWN" or "PRIVATE CALLER" without any number displayed)?

prickly

I tested with another cell phone and it works fine.

The problem is that my cell phone (the number that I used to set up Google Voice) cannot call the Google Voice Number.

So, everyone can call my house, except for me :(

Is this just a 'feature' of Google Voice?

SteveInWA

Quote from: prickly on March 22, 2018, 07:10:43 PM
I tested with another cell phone and it works fine.

The problem is that my cell phone (the number that I used to set up Google Voice) cannot call the Google Voice Number.

So, everyone can call my house, except for me :(

Is this just a 'feature' of Google Voice?

Isn't that a completely different issue than you described previously?

In any case, yes, that is a feature, not a bug.

Google Voice assumes this:

• If you link a forwarding phone number via the mobile Google Voice app, the system assumes you are linking a mobile phone number.  Typically, mobile phone users want to be able to quickly access their Google Voice voicemail from their mobile phone, so this configuration takes you directly to your GV VM menu.
  • If you link a forwarding phone number via the desktop/laptop Google Voice website, the system assumes you are linking a land line number.  Typically users want to be able to "phone home" and enable someone there to answer your call.

You can manually change the classification of the linked phone number from "mobile" to "work" or "home", with the latter two being land lines (there is no difference between work and home; you can use either one).

To change it:

• Log into your Google Voice account from a laptop or desktop computer, not from a mobile phone or tablet, and go here:  https://voice.google.com/settings
  • At the top left, click Menu Menu and then Legacy Google Voice.  You should now be on the old, "Legacy" version of the Google Voice website.
  • At the top right, click the gear icon, then click Settings.
  • You should now be on the "Phones" tab.  Click the "Edit" button under your linked/forwarding phone number.
  • Click "Show advanced settings"
  • On the next page, change the phone type to "home", and then click the Save button.

Test it by calling your Google Voice number from your mobile phone number.  Google Voice should ring your OBi-attached phone number.

prickly

Thank you so much for resolving this issue for me! I can now call my GVN from my cell phone.  :)

Apologies for any confusion caused in my explanation of the problem.

SteveInWA

No problem; I'm glad we were able to get on the same page and then get to the answer..