News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

First post, Obi and Google Voice set up. but also need to get a second GV number

Started by nicnoc, April 01, 2018, 11:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicnoc

Hi, to all and happy Easter.

In a nutshell, family wants to save and keep using our late mom's landline number. I have a new Obihai 202 to do it. I'd like to continue using my personal GV number AND get a second GV line to preserve and continue to use her old landline number. One issue is I already have my own Google voice number I use on my cellphone (using Google Hangouts on wifi). To port the landline over to GV, I understand I need to first port her existing landline number to a wireless phone. I have an unlocked T-mobile cheapie phone to port it first to Wireless and bought a Tmobile least expensive pay as you go simcard too. How do you get a second Google Voice LINE and not mess things up in the process!) I hope it's simple.

I have my new Obihai 202 nearby ready to setup but first, need to port my late mother's landline number onto that temporary T-moble unlocked phone. I already checked with T-mobile and her landline number is portable, and got a thumbs up, yes.  But do I wait before setting up the Obi202 and get that second GV line up first and port the landline number?                                                                                                                                                    

I had found some online articles for doing parts of all of this, but most of them were written years ago and I'm not really sure how reliable/up-to-date they are. They say it's a little complex to get a second google line going, do you have a walk me through tutorial for a real non-techie, please? Thanks in advance!

nicnoc

I hope that I've not made it more complex by over-explaining.

to be clear, I'd like the landline through the obi device to use at home. but I already have an existing Google Voice number for my cell.

Can I have to two separate Google voice numbers on the same google mail? using 'home' and 'work'? By the way, I can't find the home and work tabs yet.

I found this  https://www.quora.com/Can-I-get-multiple-Google-Voice-numbers-to-one-phone but I'm unclear if it applies to me.

SteveInWA

Google Voice is a service, in the same way as Gmail, Calendar, Docs, etc.  All Google services are tied to a Google account (Gmail address and password).  One Google account can have a maximum of two inbound Google Voice phone numbers.  It has nothing to do with "home" or "work" status, which only impacts linked/forwarding phone number use.

However, you can't treat two GV numbers separately when they are assigned to the same GV configuration on that account.  All inbound calls to either number will forward to the same linked phone numbers (and to the same Google Chat configuration on one OBi SPx).  If unanswered or busy, all inbound calls to either GV number will end up in the same GV voicemail box.

If you want to use the second number independently, then you'll need to port it into a different Google/Gmail/GV account than the account that holds the first number.  Wait a week after porting the land line to T-Mobile, before subsequently porting that number to Google Voice.  Once done, you could configure GV #1 on SP1 and GV#2 on SP2 on the OBi, and you can direct those calls to the two independent phone 1 and phone 2 jacks on the OBi.

nicnoc

Hi, this is a new question.

At Google Voice when getting the new GV number they ask: "To complete setup and start using Google Voice, you need to verify your existing phone number" and after clicking "verify", they ask "Enter a number to link, Inbound calls to your Google Voice number will be forwarded to this number".

My question is: among the many numbers I have, which one do I input?
a working cell number I'm currently using? (it's also connected to google voice via hangouts on another google account) I do have a separte gv number, but on a different google mail account.
the old landline number that is now ported and working successfully on T-mobile? etc.?

Thank you!

SteveInWA

Quote from: nicnoc on April 16, 2018, 04:04:22 PM
Hi, this is a new question.

At Google Voice when getting the new GV number they ask: "To complete setup and start using Google Voice, you need to verify your existing phone number" and after clicking "verify", they ask "Enter a number to link, Inbound calls to your Google Voice number will be forwarded to this number".

My question is: among the many numbers I have, which one do I input?
a working cell number I'm currently using? (it's also connected to google voice via hangouts on another google account) I do have a separte gv number, but on a different google mail account.
the old landline number that is now ported and working successfully on T-mobile? etc.?

Thank you!

Hi, and welcome to OBi-land!

I am guessing that your goal is to port the former landline/now T-Mobile number to Google Voice?  If so, and the Google account into which you want to port your number currently has no Google Voice number.  Is that correct?  If so, the 2018 Google Voice number porting workflow requires that you first obtain one of Google Voice's free phone numbers (it doesn't matter where in the USA that number is located).  After doing that, using the new Google Voice website:  https://voice.google.com, then you can go into the old, "Legacy" Google voice website, and you'll see a link to port in your T-Mobile number.  When asked to link and verify a phone number, submit that T-Mobile number.  You cannot use the linked number on your other Google Voice account to do this.

nicnoc

Okay, we're part-way there :-)

So, which number to I input when they ask "To complete setup and start using Google Voice, you need to verify your existing phone number"  >Enter a number link?

Thank you.

nicnoc

Quote from: nicnoc on April 16, 2018, 05:12:07 PM

So, which number to I input when they ask "To complete setup and start using Google Voice, you need to verify your existing phone number"  >Enter a number link?

Thank you.

I.E., are they asking for the old landline number now on T-mobile?

SteveInWA

Quote from: nicnoc on April 16, 2018, 05:15:43 PM
Quote from: nicnoc on April 16, 2018, 05:12:07 PM

Thank you.

I.E., are they asking for the old landline number now on T-mobile?

I answered that question above.  Yes, enter the now-T-Mobile number.