News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to have Obi110 present 10 digit caller ID from POTS Line

Started by Rusty, August 21, 2011, 06:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Hi,

I'm new to the Obi 110, and have started by sticking it in between my POTS line and Uniden phone (I just want to test this out before getting started with VOIP).

One of the problems I've been unable to solve is that Caller ID which comes in via the POTS line as a full 10 digit number (and is presented as such in the web interface (in 'Call History'), only shows up as a 7 digit number on the Uniden phone. This is a problem in my region because all ten digits must be dialed to connect to a local number (i.e. to use the Uniden's call history to automatically dial a number, the full 10 digits of each number must be stored).

I've gone through the menus and docs several times, but can't seem to find a way to get this working.  I'm sure I'm missing something obvious...  Any pointers?

Thanks.

-Rusty

RonR

Does your Uniden phone display a 10-digit number when connected directly to your POTS line?

I don't have CallerID on my POTS line so I can't test this, but I'd be very surprised if the OBi is stripping the area code from the CallerID it's sending to the PHONE Port and only on calls from the LINE Port.  As far a I know, there is no option in the OBi to enable or disable such an action.

Rusty

Yes, when the Uniden is connected directly to the POTS line, it displays the full 10-digit Caller ID (i.e. it appears that the OBI110 is stripping out the area code).

If there's no way to disable this, is it possible to implement a workaround in which any time a 7-digit number is dialed, the Obi will prepend the local area code?

Thanks.

-Rusty

RonR

Assuming your telephone company wants all calls made using 1 + 10-digits, set:

Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:

([2-9]11|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.)

where aaa is your local area code.

This will allow dialing : [2-9]11, 11-digits, 10-digits, 7-digits, and 011+

jimates

I have Uniden phones connected to my 3 Obi's.

When a call comes in on Google Voice they display 11 digits for the caller id. If the number is in my contact list it will display the name from the contact, but it still displays 11 digits even though some contacts only have 7 digits in the contact.

On all 3 Obi's, when a call comes in on the LINE port it only displays 7 digits because I set my local area code in the phone's menu. By setting the area code the phone itself filters 10 digit numbers and displays them as 7 digits. If you want the phone to display all 10 digits you should delete your area code from the phone's setup.

From my phone's manual - Dect 1560/1580
Seven-digit dialing
If you can make a local call by dialing only seven digits instead of ten, you can tell the phone to hide your local area code in the Caller ID list; any calls from outside your area code will show all ten digits. This setting applies to the base and all handsets currently connected to the same base.
To program your local area code:
Press Menu /Select .
Select the Global Setup menu, and then the Area Code submenu.
Use the number keypad (0 through 9) to enter a three-digit area code. If an area code has already been stored, it appears in the display. Press Clea r/Int 'com to delete the stored code, and then enter a new one.
Press Menu /Select . You will hear a confirmation tone.
Note: If you have multiple bases, select the base before programming the area code (see page 15).
The phone uses the stored area code as a filter. When a call comes in, the phone compares the incoming area code to the code programmed on the phone. If the two codes match, the handset hides the area code in the Caller ID list.
When you are reviewing the Caller ID list, you can show the hidden area code by pressing #. Press # again to hide the area code.
When you dial from a Caller ID record or store a Caller ID record in the phonebook, the phone dials or stores the digits exactly as they appear on the display. If you need to use ten digits, be sure to press # to show the area code before you dial or store the number. (See page 2 7 to store a Caller ID record in the phonebook.)

Rusty

Thank you both for the feedback.

The workaround worked! (i.e. now I can dial 7-digit numbers without entering the area code)
i.e. Adding a new mask (<aaa>xxxxxxx
) to Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port -> DigitMap:

Also, jimates' suggestion of modifying the Phone config to remove the area code fully solved the original problem (I have no idea why, though--the phone displays the Area code in the CallerID message when the phone is directly connected to the POTS line).

-Rusty