News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI-1062 - gVoice - Requested service is not available at the moment?

Started by johnny2678, April 09, 2018, 09:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny2678

I've been running the same setup successfully for a year now.  Over the weekend I get the orange light of death on SP1 (google voice).  The website says the phone is offline.  The phone says the requested service is not available at the moment.

I can ping the device IP with no packet loss.  I reauthorized with Google Voice, but still same result.

Any other steps I can try short of a factory reset?  Any logs that would show why this happened?

SteveInWA

Hi:

Before getting into more detailed troubleshooting, here are some preliminary questions:

Is Google Voice the only service you have on this phone?  If so, how many SPs are configured with Google Voice numbers?  If not, do you have one or more SIP VoIP service providers configured?  If so, do they have green LEDs and do they work?

Next:

If you only have one SPx configured on the phone, and it's failing, then:

Sign into your Google account (Gmail user ID/PW) on a laptop/desktop web browser and go here:

https://voice.google.com/settings

Are you able to see your Google Voice inbound phone number on that page, at the top of the page, to the right of "Google Voice number"?  If not, do you receive any error messages when you go to that page?  What does it say?

If your Google Voice number is listed at the top of the page, then look at the "Linked numbers" section.  Ensure that you do not have any old, abandoned phone numbers listed.  If so, delete them now.  Ensure that you have at least one standard 10-digit US forwarding phone number linked.  If not, add one.

Call your Google Voice phone number from some other phone number, NOT one of your linked numbers.  What happens, in detail?  The expected behavior is that the linked number will ring, and you can answer the call on the linked phone.

johnny2678

Thanks for responding - answers inline.

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 09, 2018, 03:04:17 PM

Is Google Voice the only service you have on this phone? 

yes

If so, how many SPs are configured with Google Voice numbers? 

Only one

If not, do you have one or more SIP VoIP service providers configured?  If so, do they have green LEDs and do they work?

GV is the only SP configured

Are you able to see your Google Voice inbound phone number on that page, at the top of the page, to the right of "Google Voice number"? 

yes

If your Google Voice number is listed at the top of the page, then look at the "Linked numbers" section.  Ensure that you do not have any old, abandoned phone numbers listed.  If so, delete them now.  Ensure that you have at least one standard 10-digit US forwarding phone number linked.  If not, add one.

Only one linked # - not old ones - linked # is the same # I have used since starting with google voice >8 years ago.

Call your Google Voice phone number from some other phone number, NOT one of your linked numbers.  What happens, in detail?  The expected behavior is that the linked number will ring, and you can answer the call on the linked phone.

When I call my GV # from another line, my linked line rings, I can answer it and have a 2-way conversation.

Doesn't sound like GV is the issue.  Anything else I can provide/try?

SteveInWA

Thanks for the details.

Well, with only one Google Voice number configured on that phone, it makes it pretty difficult to troubleshoot.  Call **9 222 222 222 from the phone.  Do you get the "Welcome to OBiTALK..." recording, and if so, can you hear yourself speak via the echo test?

johnny2678

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 09, 2018, 03:28:39 PM
Call **9 222 222 222 from the phone.  Do you get the "Welcome to OBiTALK..." recording, and if so, can you hear yourself speak via the echo test?

Thanks again.  attaching a screenshot of the result.  The number resolves to **9ob222222222 on the phone but gives the triple-toned beep-beep-beep (typically associated with "the # you have dialed is not in service")

johnny2678

Another image showing the error on the phone with the orange LED lit...

SteveInWA

Hmmph.  In that case, you don't have a Google Voice problem.  You have a problem with your OBi phone not connecting to OBiTALK.  Press the speakerphone button, then key in ***1.  It should speak "Basic network status:  your IP address is ....."  Does it do that?  Does it read back a valid IP address?  If not, you'll need to diagnose your home/office network (LAN) problem.

If it does read back an IP address, type that address into your web browser and attempt to sign into the phone.  The default username and password are both "admin".  If you can log in, then scroll down and check to see that the device has an internet connection, and check the OBiTALK service status.

johnny2678

BOOM

***1 checked out.  The admin site loaded.

SIP1 status was "resolving DNS"

ahhhh... interesting.  I changed my DHCP DNS settings on my gateway over 2 weeks ago because I stopped running DNS locally.  Apparently those changes were never propagated to the phone like they were for all my other network devices, despite multiple phone reboots.  Even more interesting is I had Google DNS configured as the secondary DNS, so even if the phone couldn't resolve DNS1 it should have started using DNS2. 

Oh well, once I realized it was related to DNS i just set DNS locally through the phone and I'm back in business.

Thank you so much.  The admin site was key - didn't know that existed.

SteveInWA

Quote from: johnny2678 on April 09, 2018, 04:51:41 PM
BOOM

***1 checked out.  The admin site loaded.

SIP1 status was "resolving DNS"

ahhhh... interesting.  I changed my DHCP DNS settings on my gateway over 2 weeks ago because I stopped running DNS locally.  Apparently those changes were never propagated to the phone like they were for all my other network devices, despite multiple phone reboots.  Even more interesting is I had Google DNS configured as the secondary DNS, so even if the phone couldn't resolve DNS1 it should have started using DNS2. 

Oh well, once I realized it was related to DNS i just set DNS locally through the phone and I'm back in business.

Thank you so much.  The admin site was key - didn't know that existed.

Great.  Your next post will be "How come it stopped working again?".  The answer is, that settings you change on the local web page user interface will be overwritten by the settings stored on OBiTALK, as soon as the phone reboots.  So:  I only pointed you to that local page because it looked like your device wasn't able to reach OBiTALK.  Now that it can, you need to go into OBiTALK, get into Expert configuration mode, and edit the DNS settings from there.  You need to remove the check marks from both boxes to the right of the variable, in order to edit it.  Click the "submit" button at the bottom of the page after editing.

I recommend that you use Google's DNS for both primary and secondary:  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

drgeoff

Quote from: johnny2678 on April 09, 2018, 04:51:41 PMThe admin site was key - didn't know that existed.
If you did not know that it existed, then you probably are not aware of http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg109#msg109 either.  Except for a very small number of settings.