News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 GV outgoing call rings then disconnects; incoming calls not ringing

Started by Jonathan., April 11, 2018, 09:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan.

Please read further, as this is not the same issue that's been described in several other recent posts, like this one: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13761.0

Yesterday morning and this morning (4/10, 4/11), my parents' Obi200 failed to ring when I called their Google Voice number. GV also rings mom's cell phone, which did work properly.

This has happened before, and just seems to happen every once in a while.

The new twist, though, is that during these same mornings, outgoing calls were also not working properly. Mom would dial a number from the home phone, she would hear one ring but then the call would disconnect. When she was dialing my mobile number, for instance, I would see the call coming in on my phone and would answer it (if I was quick enough) but then I would hear a click and my phone would indicate that the call disconnected. But if she called me from her mobile phone (not using GV), then no issue.

I asked her to try calling me via her Google Home Mini, which is on the same home network, and is configured to use the same GV account as the Obi. That worked properly. (It rang, and she was able to complete the full call.)

During the issue this morning, we tried power cycling the Obi200, but that did not change the symptoms.

By evening (on both days), the problem has resolved by itself.

We've made no configuration changes since setting up the Obi200 last year. It replaced an Obi110 which worked for a couple years until the Google certs change killed it.

Any suggestions?

SteveInWA

There is nothing inherent in Google Voice to cause that symptom intermittently, especially if it works when forwarding to a 10-digit PSTN phone number.  Perhaps your mom needs a new telephone, or she's got a problem with her ISP.  At least, try swapping out the telephone connected to her OBi.

Jonathan.

Thanks for the advice, Steve. Sounds like the next most-likely thing for us to try is changing out the telephone.

SteveInWA

I think that's an easy and cut-and-dried thing to try next.

By the way, you may already have worked this out, but, being a senior myself, I always worry when I see that someone has set up Google Voice for their parents or another elderly relative.  Google Voice cannot make E911 calls.  In an emergency, especially if someone is going into shock, they (or a relative or caretaker) may not realize this, and waste precious minutes trying to call 911.  As we get older, we may get disoriented or panic in an emergency.  So, you absolutely need to make sure that the OBi is either subscribed to a 911 service (e.g. from Callcentric), or that a label is affixed to the phone that prominently advises that this phone can't call 911, and to use some other phone instead.

drgeoff

Is it a cordless phone with rechargeable batteries in the handset?  If yes, those batteries would be a prime suspect.