News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice reliability

Started by differentflies, April 24, 2018, 08:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

differentflies

Thanks in advance for any input here. I'm writing to ask the group about reliability issues with Google Voice. I have a 9-5 job and work mostly from home. My job office number is set up with 'simultaneous ring' with my GV number as destination so that my Obi 1032 phone (in my home office) rings if someone calls my work number.

My issue is that when i dial out on my Obi, i sometimes lose my connection to the call, forcing me to re-dial back into the call that i was on. These interruptions are happening frequently enough that it's becoming an issue... Twice today already.

Any advice on how to improve GV reliability?

I understand that Google disclaims its free GV service by saying that it shouldn't be used for important business. I get it. Still, would love to keep trying, especially if someone here can suggest a known method to improve the service.

Thanks again!

SteveInWA

Get service from a SIP VoIP service provider, not Google Voice.  Consider the very small monthly cost of the service, vs. your salary and benefits, and the risk of losing them if you eventually get "in trouble for" using unreliable phone service, and it's a no-brainer.  Some employers will even reimburse you for the cost of your business use of your home phone.

differentflies

Quote from: SteveInWA on April 24, 2018, 03:38:41 PM
Get service from a SIP VoIP service provider, not Google Voice.  Consider the very small monthly cost of the service, vs. your salary and benefits, and the risk of losing them if you eventually get "in trouble for" using unreliable phone service, and it's a no-brainer.  Some employers will even reimburse you for the cost of your business use of your home phone.

Steve, thanks very much for your input. I've come to the same conclusion and have been browsing possible VOIP providers. One of the best features of GV, for my purposes, has been multi-line operation; that is, I can initiate or receive a call, then put that person on hold and initiate/receive a second call, and then combine/conference the two together if I want. This is possible with just one GV line. I spoke w/ PhonePower yesterday, and apparently they do not support this functionality. Would you happen to know of any VOIP provider that's able to do this??

azrobert

That's an OBi function.
http://www.obihai.com/OBiDeviceAdminGuide#_Toc367543025

Your provider just needs to support 2 simultaneous calls.

I didn't think this works when the 2nd call is inbound.

lacakid

Google Voice has always been very very reliable for me EVEN as a FREE service! On occasion calls don't ring in on my OBI202, on rare occasion I might add and I get frustrated but to be completely honest never get failed outgoing calls and again it's FREE! You can't beat that these days...

Thanks,
Tom

PS - Sorry I just wanted to chime in :) :) :)

GPz1100

Would I use it for business.   NO.

For home use, it's fine.  In the year it's been our primary service there's been two outages of sorts. One was a total outage for about a day, the other, more recent was with audio issues, lasted 2 days.  You get what you pay for.