News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai 200 on NVG589 router?

Started by MiKo, May 01, 2018, 05:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiKo

I've just discover that when we are streaming videos at home the phone doesn't ring and inbound google voice calls go to voicemail.  Is there a setting to give obihai voip priority on the arris (AT&T) nvg589 router?  When we are not streaming videos everything works fine. Manual attached.  Thanks.

GPz1100

In general the obi is just another device on the network.  Google voice connectivity (for now) has the same priority as other traffic.  Tell us about what kind of connection you have?  What download/upload speed service do you subscribe to?

Are you able to perform other network functions while streaming videos?  Stream on another pc, access websites, etc.?

azrobert

You need investigate Quality of Service (QoS) on your router. The manual isn't very clear on how to implement QoS.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

My router can assign a higher or lower priority to a device based on mac or IP address. I never had the need to use QoS, so maybe someone else can be more helpful.

MiKo

Thanks, most of what I'm reading advises to drop AT&T and get a new provider or put the NVG589 in bridge mode and add a router with QoS capabilities.  I have a home automation system with alarm system as well as google home running on a 12M/1M speed service.  May just need to bite the bullet and get a higher bandwidth service.  The wife is pretty much the only one streaming videos.  I'm not sure how bandwidth hungry the home automation/alarm and google  home are as I don't know how to check that.  Thanks for your help.