News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Cannot disable security alarm line for Obi202

Started by kulsean, May 01, 2018, 04:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kulsean

I am in desperate need here. I check marked 'Use this Service for a security alarm line' and now incoming calls do not ring whatsoever through the obi202 device. I tried buying another unit and switching it out and still nothing. For whatever reason obitalk keeps the same settings as was on the previous device. Does anyone else have issues with this at all?

drgeoff

1.  You cannot just swap units.  You need to go through the **5 xxxx procedure for each unit.

2.  You can delete a device from the dashboard. See screenshot.  Then reset the device to factory defaults by dialling ***8 and follow the prompts.  Then start again from scratch.

SteveInWA

The security alarm check-mark can be easily removed.  I don't know why you didn't try that first.  However, this might be caused by the firmware version on your device, which is in the process of being updated to support Google Voice's new interconnection to OBi products.

Pick up the phone attached to the OBi.  Key in ***0 then 1#  and write down the version it reads back to you, and post it here.

By the way, do not use the security alarm feature on OBiTALK.  It kills the ability to use the OBi for regular calling, and I don't know if it is, or will be, compatible with the new firmware.  Contact your alarm monitoring service to upgrade to a direct IP connection and/or a 4G radio communicator.  Connecting alarm panels via dial-up phone lines is old technology, and trying to make it work with a VoIP ATA is asking for trouble.

Alarm Panel--->IP gateway-->your ISP-->Internet-->alarm monitoring center
                |--->4G radio----->alarm monitoring centyer

kulsean

I tried that and it still reverts to the same setting. I'm thinking it might be a bug with google voice. I wouldn't try clicking on that check box because afterwards you're not able to get it unchecked.

kulsean

SteveInWA

Press ***6 on the OBi to see if it will offer you a firmware upgrade.  The firmware on your device is old.

However the alarm panel check mark is not your issue.  I just looked, and WTF, the check marks have appeared on my Google Voice SPs, and I cannot delete them, either.  I think the check mark is a bug, but it is not impacting the service from working properly, as all of my Google Voice SPs are working fine.

Update your firmware, and then I'll try to help you fix things.

kulsean

Thank you soo much Steve. Been offline with this issue for a few days now. Tried calling obihai and it doesn't seem like they answer.

kulsean

So I just updated to 3.2.1.5757 but cannot uncheck it still. Please advise. Thank you.

SteveInWA

Ignore the check marks.  It's not your issue.  It's a red herring.

On the OBiTALK portal page, click the "Replace Google account credentials" link, and go through the steps to re-authorize your device to your Google account.   Make sure that you carefully read the windows that pop up, and that, when it displays the Gmail address it is going to use, confirm that this is the same Gmail address that holds your Google Voice number.

After the OBi reboots, wait a while and confirm that it shows a status of "Connected".  Then try to use it for a call.  Did that fix it?

kulsean

No I've tried that many times. Also tried deleting the google voice acct on obitalk as well as deleting the device and starting from scratch. Still the same result. I think it's some bug on obitalk that won't let you uncheck the alarm box for whatever odd reason.

kulsean

Could it be that I'm just stuck because the firmware updates need to be done?

SteveInWA

It is NOT that check mark.  I have multiple OBi devices.  The Google Voice SPs magically got that box checked, and all of my numbers still work.  That is NOT your bug.  I reported it to them just now to get fixed, but again, it is unrelated to your issue.

What, exactly, is your issue at this time?

Call your Google Voice number from some OTHER phone number, NOT your OBi-attached phone, and not one of your linked/forwarding phone numbers. Watch the right-most LED (the Phone LED) on the OBi.  Does it start blinking?  Does the attached phone ring?

kulsean

Incoming calls do not come in. It all seemed to happen after I had checked that alarm line box. I upgraded to firmware to 3.2.1.5757 already and still no calls can come in

kulsean

It's just been really tough to deal with as this is my office line. I've been missing a big number of calls. I really appreciate the help

SteveInWA

Call somebody.  Look at their caller ID display.  Does it show your Google Voice phone number?  If not, then you are using the wrong Google account.  If it does show your Google Voice phone number, (outbound calls are working properly), then sign into your Google Voice settings page:  https://voice.google.com/settings.  Click the left-side menu icon (the "hamburger" icon), and then scroll down and select "Legacy Google Voice".  On the Legacy page, go to Settings, on the Phones tab.  Make sure that it displays the same Google Voice phone number that you are trying to use.  If not, it's the wrong account.  If it does, then make sure there is a check-mark next to Google Chat.  If you do not see Google Chat, then your Google Voice account is in limbo, between the new and old connection methods.

SteveInWA

Not to "rub salt in your wounds", but this is the number one reason why I don't recommend Google Voice for business use.  It's a great consumer-level service, but it does have occasional issues, which can cause you to lose more business revenue and reputation, than you might save by using the service.

SteveInWA

I also just confirmed that the spurious check mark bug will be fixed tomorrow.

kulsean

I called and it's using my correct google voice account. So it is a known bug? Oh I was going cray for the last 3 days 🤦‍♂️. I hope they'll fix it by tomorrow then

kulsean

Do you mean the check mark box along with my call issues should get fixed by tomorrow? And do you know who said that?