News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi 110 - No Dial tone

Started by utsc, May 01, 2018, 07:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

utsc

I have an  OBi 110  which was working perfectly well before I removed all the  cables for cleaning and when I plugged it I have no dial tone

I have tried the following
1) Different phones,
2) Different phone cords
3) Different power supply
4) Factory Reset but no dial tone.

PHONE and LINE Port Status Please refer to the attached gif file

LoopCurrent   0 mA
VBAT   0 V (12.1 V)
TipRingVoltage   0 V

Line Port Status   
On Hook   help
0 mA   help
help
0 V   help
--

Please help as I am currently overseas and expedited FedEx / UPS shipping from USA would cost more than double the cost of device.

Is there a way to repair. Labor/repair is relatively inexpensive in this part of the world

SteveInWA,  Thank you in advance for your usual suggestion to "Buy a new Device" & put the old device under the hammer

SteveInWA

Ha ha, beating me to my own answer.  Thanks.

There are "no user serviceable parts inside".  All of the telephone line interface functions, including the DC-DC voltage conversions, is inside one integrated circuit, known as a Subscriber Line Interface Circuit, or SLIC.  It's done this way so that the SLIC can be FCC-certified, eliminating the cost of custom-designing, building and certifying an interface out of discrete parts.  It would take somebody with access to that integrated circuit, which I believe has now been discontinued and obsoleted by a newer part, and a SMD desoldering station, to fix it.

This video may help understand the issue further:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axByUFSa7N8

utsc

I washed the circuit board with paint thinner  as I live in a hot humid place 200m from the sea  (salt deposits do occur  over time)

I allowed it to dry and I now have dial tone with VBAT: 57 V (12.0 V)

I connected to google voice manually (without using Obitalk portal) as I have  1.3.0 (Build: 2886-naf7)

SP1 Service Status shows as Connected and I am able to receive Incoming Calls from GV.

However when I dial outgoing calls, I get a Service Not Configured Error - Please Log into OB talk and configure

I did a factory reset before and after installing Build: 2886-naf7  Firmware ?

Any suggestions to resolve the outgoing call issue?

azrobert

Did you set the Primary Line to SP1?

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> PrimaryLine: SP1 Service

It could be another configuration problem. To eliminate this possibility define a Speed Dial number like this: sp1(18005551212)

That speed dial will bypass the outbound route processing.

azrobert

Google will drop XMPP support at the end of June, so the naf7 firmware will stop working.

BachPhi

Quote from: azrobert on May 09, 2018, 03:16:12 PM
Google will drop XMPP support at the end of June, so the naf7 firmware will stop working.

What about OBi-1-3-0-2824.fw and Simonic GW?

SteveInWA

Quote from: BachPhi on May 09, 2018, 03:24:01 PM

Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Buy an OBi 200.  You can assume there will be a nice sale before the end of this month.

azrobert

The GVGW will also stop working. The OBi connects to the GVGW via SIP, but the gateway connects to GV via XMPP. Nobody, including Bill Simon knows if the GVGW can be modified to use the new protocol.

Taoman

Quote from: SeanR on May 09, 2018, 05:41:33 PM

Using new protocol with Simonics through an Obi device or for any device? I am using Simonics with a Linksys device.

Unless and until we hear directly from Bill Simon saying otherwise, you should assume all devices connecting to Google Voice thru the Simonics gateway will cease to function by July.

SteveInWA

This is not rocket science.

IF you want to use Google Voice with an analog telephone, THEN buy this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833617008

https://www.amazon.com/OBi200-1-Port-Adapter-Support-Service/dp/B00BUV7C9A

Hint:  today is May 9th.  If you want to buy now, great.  If not, I am very certain that one of those sites will have a sale on this item before the end of the month.

utsc

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2018, 03:27:55 PM

Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Buy an OBi 200.  You can assume there will be a nice sale before the end of this month.

How will OBi 200 work after Google stops XMPP Support?

SteveInWA, I wonder why but in the last few months it looks like majority of your post is buy a new ATA for any problem.

As of now ALL OBi devices are working perfectly fine and hence Until Google drops XMPP do you have any tips or suggestions to get my outgoing calls working again?

SteveInWA

Quote from: utsc on May 09, 2018, 06:13:01 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on May 09, 2018, 03:27:55 PM

Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.

How will OBi 200 work after Google stops XMPP Support?

SteveInWA, I wonder why but in the last few months it looks like majority of your post is buy a new ATA for any problem.

As of now ALL OBi devices are working perfectly fine and hence Until Google drops XMPP do you have any tips or suggestions to get my outgoing calls working again?

Well, if you have actually read my posts on this topic, you would already know the answer to those questions.

All current OBiTALK products will continue to work after the XMPP servers are shut down.  This week, all current products are receiving a firmware update, and after that update, they will automatically cause the Google Voice account to be reconfigured to work with the device.

The "buy a new device" answer applies to anyone who a) wants to use Google Voice, and b) is not already using a supported product.

There is no alternative.

SteveInWA

Anyone who stubbornly refuses to accept that they've gotten many times the purchase price back from their old device, and that it's time to buy a new one, is doing so purely out of spite or some other pointless emotion.

Imagine what Mr. Spock would say.  Logic points to only one action.  Replace the device.

Taoman

Quote from: SeanR on May 09, 2018, 09:34:48 PM

Thanks. I just read this on Simonics Forum:

http://support.simonics.com/support/discussions/topics/3000169212

Thanks. I hadn't seen that post. Guess we'll know by the 18th whether he's able to come up with something. Have you seen this post by Bill?

https://pbxinaflash.com/community/threads/an-option-for-keeping-google-voice-in-the-post-xmpp-era.22678/#post-136259

utsc

Quote from: azrobert on May 09, 2018, 03:13:36 PM
Did you set the Primary Line to SP1?

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> PrimaryLine: SP1 Service

It could be another configuration problem. To eliminate this possibility define a Speed Dial number like this: sp1(18005551212)

That speed dial will bypass the outbound route processing.

Setting the Primary Line to SP1 worked, thank you so much azrobert, I am very grateful to you.

azrobert

Your question on the DSLReports forum
QuoteI was able to do that very easily through the OBitalk web portal before. When authorized users call they hear a message "Press 1 to continue" or "Press 2 to dial another call"

Inbound calls from GV to your OBi110 will still work when forwarded to an SIP DID. Purchase a DID from a provider, register the account on your OBi110 SP2 and define it as a forwarding number in GV. Now define the same inbound call route rules on SP2 as SP1. Be aware that GV supplies an 11 digit callerid and other providers might send a 10 digit callerid.

Callcentric has free DID's, but will cost $1.50 a month for E911. IPComms had free DID, but I don't know if they are still available.

You can use this DID to make outbound calls, but you have to initiate the call from GV. Sign into GV and if you're not in the Legacy Interface, switch to it. Click on the Call button, enter the outbound number, select the phone to use and click connect. GV will ring your DID and when you answer GV will call the number. You can do the same from the new interface, but it's slightly different.

If you have to pay for a DID, it will be cheaper in the long run to just buy an OBi200.