News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Relationship with mobile carrier after porting to Google voice

Started by Lingling, May 01, 2018, 09:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingling

I was in the process of porting my old phone number to t mobile, and then to Google voice. I am wondering that after I move my number from t mobile to Google voice, is my relationship with t mobile over and my sim card account with t mobile won't work any more. Am I right?
Is it possible then to remove the sim card on my mobile phone since Google voice will terminate all my phone calls and t mobile as network not longer play a part in my voice calls on my old phone number?
Can someone please confirm or clarify? Thank you!

Lingling

SteveInWA

Google Voice is not a phone company.  It can't provide mobile phone service to your mobile phone.

Porting is a telephone industry procedure.  With your permission, the "gaining" carrier asks the "losing" carrier to take over providing service for your phone number.  After the losing carrier approves, and the gaining carrier takes over the number, service on that number with the losing carrier is canceled.  So, in this case, after you port your now-T-Mobile number to Google Voice, your mobile phone will stop working, its SIM will be dead...throw the SIM in the trash.  The number is now controlled by Google Voice.

If you want mobile phone service, you will need to obtain it from a mobile phone carrier.