News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Proper settings when using the 202 in bridge mode before router?

Started by Studly, May 02, 2018, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Studly

My Obi202 has for the most part been working well for years in front of my Asus TM-AC1900 router. However, I just got faster internet speed and don't want my Obi throttling my connection down to 30meg, so I tried doing the following, and nothing has worked (all of the following options keep giving me problems either receiving or placing calls using my providers: GV, CallCentric and VoipMS):

1) Put it in bridge mode and kept it in front of the router. Connected my modem to the Obi's Internet port and the downstream router to the Obi's LAN port.
2) Put if in bridge mode and put it after my router. Connected the router to my Obi's Internet port.
3) Put it back in router mode and moved it after my router. Connected the router to my Obi's Internet port.

Is there anything else I can do to get one of these options to work? Since it was working well in front of the router when the Obi was in router mode, if I try that option again, are there any other settings I should change?

Thanks much for any advice you may have.

drgeoff

The OBi200 is relatively slow.  For most people it no longer makes sense to have all one's WAN or LAN traffic going through it.

Connect the WAN port of your router to your new modem.  Connect the WAN port of your 202 to a LAN port of the router.  Connect all other devices to the router.  If you had set a static IP address on the 202 you probably need to change it to match the router's subnet or change to DHCP.

If you need to log in to the 202's web GUI do any one of the following:

1.  Operate the 202 in bridge mode.

2.  Operate the 202 in router mode but temporarily connect a PC to its LAN port when required.

3.  Operate the 202 in router mode and enable web GUI access from its WAN port.

GPz1100

More details for option 3 (my preferred method).

https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

Configure your router to assign a specific ip via dhcp.  This ensures the obi device will always be at the same ip address.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000906/

Also, depending how adventurous you feel, there are ways of converting the tm-ac1900 to the regular rt-ac68u.  Proceed at your own risk.   http://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/   .  Note, I've done several of these already (at $48 on amazon it's hard to pass up) and they all work as expected.  When doing the CFE patch, select all at the bottom right corner to enable additional DFS channels (for 5ghz).

Studly

Thanks for the tips everyone. Yes, my router is T Mobile's version of a regular Asus modem and I believe it's preconfigured for T Mobile's wifi calling or something (I just bought it because it was a good deal ... I don't use Tmobile). Could that be interfering with my Obi? If so, maybe I should reset it to the regular Asus version of the modem, as you suggest. Good to know you've successfully done it.

Regarding option 3: Operate the 202 in router mode and enable web GUI access from its WAN port.

Are you saying I should connect it after my router using the Obi's LAN connection? Or do I still use the WAN port to connect it downstream from my router?

GPz1100

Connect modem to asus router's wan port.  Connect obi's wan port to one of the asus lan ports.

Obi's wan<>lan is garbage.  It might of been useful a decade ago, but today's speeds exceed what it's wan<>lan is capable of.  Do not use the obi's lan port.  Put a piece of tape over it and forget it even exists.

Execute the sequence in the obi tutorial link if you wish to configure the obi via its web interface.  You'll still need to use the portal to provision a google voice profile, so access to the obi's local ui is not likely needed.  However is useful if for nothing else to observe status screens.

drgeoff

Quote from: GPz1100 on May 02, 2018, 05:29:18 PM...access to the obi's local ui is not likely needed.  However is useful if for nothing else to observe status screens.
Especially Call History which cannot be seen via the portal.

Studly

Quote from: GPz1100 on May 02, 2018, 05:02:55 PM
More details for option 3 (my preferred method).

https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/OBi202-sec/Howto-Access-Web-from-WAN

Configure your router to assign a specific ip via dhcp.  This ensures the obi device will always be at the same ip address.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000906/

Also, depending how adventurous you feel, there are ways of converting the tm-ac1900 to the regular rt-ac68u.  Proceed at your own risk.   http://www.bayareatechpros.com/ac1900-to-ac68u/   .  Note, I've done several of these already (at $48 on amazon it's hard to pass up) and they all work as expected.  When doing the CFE patch, select all at the bottom right corner to enable additional DFS channels (for 5ghz).

Ok, I have it set up for option 3 (the Obi is acting as a router, connected downstream from my Asus router through the Obi's internet port, and as you recommended I assigned an IP address via DHCP (thanks for the link on how to do that) to the Obi.

I rebooted everything and tested and am still having problems making and receiving calls with the Obi202.  For instance, when I dial out on my VoipMS acct., I hear nothing although it rings on the other end. Also outgoing calls on Google Voice works but incoming calls do not ring.

(Haven't changed the TM-AC1900 router yet so it acts like a regular ASUS  rt-ac68u, but I'm wondering if that will make a difference in how my Obi202 performs?)

Taoman

Quote from: Studly on May 03, 2018, 08:29:27 AM

(Haven't changed the TM-AC1900 router yet so it acts like a regular ASUS  rt-ac68u, but I'm wondering if that will make a difference in how my Obi202 performs?)

What is your setting for the following?

Advanced Settings-->WAN-->SIP Passthrough

You also mentioned Callcentric. Are your incoming GV calls being forwarded to Callcentric? If so, are you registering successfully to Callcentric? If the above is true, are you seeing incoming GV calls in your Callcentric call records/history?

GPz1100

I rebooted everything and tested and am still having problems making and receiving calls with the Obi202.  For instance, when I dial out on my VoipMS acct., I hear nothing although it rings on the other end. Also outgoing calls on Google Voice works but incoming calls do not ring.

This indicates a media problem.  The signaling part has set up the call, but the audio (media) is getting blocked somewhere.  Note, this applies to sip services.  Google voice uses a different mechanism to set up the call.  Review Taoman's suggestion above.

For inbound calls to work correctly, correct setting must be used in the google voice account, depending if you want the calls to come through google chat, callcentric, or voipms.  Show us a screen shot of your google voice forwarding page from the legacy site (https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice , then gear icon top right, settings).  Blank out any personal information.

Assuming gv is properly forwarding the call then the obi must be configured which phone port to pass the call to.

Quote(Haven't changed the TM-AC1900 router yet so it acts like a regular ASUS  rt-ac68u, but I'm wondering if that will make a difference in how my Obi202 performs?)

I doubt this will make any difference.  I think the tmo model just has some preconfigured qos settings for when mobile devices use tmobile's wifi calling.  If you want to rule the router out entirely, connect the obi directly to your modem and retest.

drgeoff

The OP has had his OBi202 working fine with GV before making changes to his local equipment.  That should not require him to check that his GV forwarding settings are OK.

Studly

Quote from: Taoman on May 03, 2018, 09:07:50 AM

What is your setting for the following?

Advanced Settings-->WAN-->SIP Passthrough

You also mentioned Callcentric. Are your incoming GV calls being forwarded to Callcentric? If so, are you registering successfully to Callcentric? If the above is true, are you seeing incoming GV calls in your Callcentric call records/history?

My router's SIP Passthrough is set to "enable."

Yes, I have GV incoming calls forwarded to Callcentric so I get caller ID on incoming calls. The forwarded GV calls are registering in Callcentric, and when I call the Callcentric number directly, that rings and works.

Studly

Quote from: GPz1100 on May 03, 2018, 11:14:14 AM

This indicates a media problem.  The signaling part has set up the call, but the audio (media) is getting blocked somewhere.  Note, this applies to sip services.  Google voice uses a different mechanism to set up the call.  Review Taoman's suggestion above.

For inbound calls to work correctly, correct setting must be used in the google voice account, depending if you want the calls to come through google chat, callcentric, or voipms.  Show us a screen shot of your google voice forwarding page from the legacy site (https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice , then gear icon top right, settings).  Blank out any personal information.

Assuming gv is properly forwarding the call then the obi must be configured which phone port to pass the call to.

Quote(Haven't changed the TM-AC1900 router yet so it acts like a regular ASUS  rt-ac68u, but I'm wondering if that will make a difference in how my Obi202 performs?)

I doubt this will make any difference.  I think the tmo model just has some preconfigured qos settings for when mobile devices use tmobile's wifi calling.  If you want to rule the router out entirely, connect the obi directly to your modem and retest.

Thanks for the help, but GV's incoming calls (forwarded to Callcentric) have been working fine for years when my Obi was in front of the router in router mode and still works fine there (but I don't want it limiting my internet connection). It's only when I move the Obi downstream from the router in either mode that I have call problems. Or if I set it to bridge mode and keep it in front of the router, then I have problems too.

Good idea on testing it straight from the modem, but since the Obi works fine in router mode between my Asus router and  the modem, I think the problem has something to do with the router settings or the Obi settings that need changing if placed behind the router.

Thanks for everyone's good questions and suggestions!

Taoman

Quote from: Studly on May 03, 2018, 11:45:30 AM

Well it should be working and since calls directly to your Callcentric number work my theory is shot.

Do incoming calls to your Voip.ms number work?

I've converted several TM-AC1900s to AC68Us using Merlin firmware. They suggest setting SIP Passthrough to "Enabled + NAT helper." You can try making that change and restarting everything but I'm not at all confident that will make any difference.

Yes, I have GV incoming calls forwarded to Callcentric so I get caller ID on incoming calls. The forwarded GV calls are registering in Callcentric, and when I call the Callcentric number directly, that rings and works.
Well color me confused. Calls directly to your Callcentric number work?!? And you can see your GV calls being successfully forwarded to your CC account by looking at your Callcentric call records? But incoming GV calls don't ring your OBi connected phone? Is that all correct? If so, that's a mind bender for me.

Anyone else have any ideas here? After OP's last post I'm at a loss.

GPz1100

^^Maybe the tmobile firmware is indeed doing something funky to the sip traffic.  The conversion process isn't difficult, but is tedious, especially the first time.

Studly

Quote from: Taoman on May 03, 2018, 12:07:33 PM

Well it should be working and since calls directly to your Callcentric number work my theory is shot.

Do incoming calls to your Voip.ms number work?

I've converted several TM-AC1900s to AC68Us using Merlin firmware. They suggest setting SIP Passthrough to "Enabled + NAT helper." You can try making that change and restarting everything but I'm not at all confident that will make any difference.

Well color me confused. Calls directly to your Callcentric number work?!? And you can see your GV calls being successfully forwarded to your CC account by looking at your Callcentric call records? But incoming GV calls don't ring your OBi connected phone? Is that all correct? If so, that's a mind bender for me.

Anyone else have any ideas here? After OP's last post I'm at a loss.

Yes, incoming calls work to Voip.ms. However outgoing calls from VOIP.ms do not work right. It doesn't ring on the callers end when I make a call from it, but it may ring on the receiver's end.

On your last question, yes, that is all correct.

Regarding your sip/nat passthrough sugguestion:
On my sip passthrough screen on my router it only allows me to choose enable or disable. But the name of the page where I have an option to do that is called: "WAN - NAT Passthrough" and then it says:
"Enable NAT Passthrough to allow a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection to pass through the router to the network clients." Then when I go down to the option for SIP Passthrough, I can either disable or enable it.

Studly

Quote from: GPz1100 on May 03, 2018, 12:16:47 PM
^^Maybe the tmobile firmware is indeed doing something funky to the sip traffic.  The conversion process isn't difficult, but is tedious, especially the first time.

Is there a way I can just change the Obi to bridge mode and keep it before the router and get it to work? Not sure if I was doing everything correctly when I set it up before. If I do that, are there any other changes I need to make on the Obi other than doing the phone commands to set it to bridge mode? And then what would be the proper way to connect it upstream to the modem and downstream to the router?

Taoman

Possible but unlikely especially considering calls directly to CC number (and Voip.ms) work ok.

I've bought all my TM-AC1900s thru SlickDeals. I've read dozens of reports from folks who never bothered to change firmware and stayed with the T-Mobile firmware and had zero problems with SIP.

drgeoff

Quote from: Studly on May 03, 2018, 12:26:09 PM

Is there a way I can just change the Obi to bridge mode and keep it before the router and get it to work? Not sure if I was doing everything correctly when I set it up before. If I do that, are there any other changes I need to make on the Obi other than doing the phone commands to set it to bridge mode? And then what would be the proper way to connect it upstream to the modem and downstream to the router?
In bridge mode the two ethernet ports on an OBi202 behave identically.

Taoman

There are different things you can try to troubleshoot this but putting your OBi in front of your router in bridge mode isn't one I would recommend unless there is no alternative.

Why your incoming GV calls don't ring is a poser. I would try this:

Go to Voice Services for your Callcentric configuration and disable it. Your OBi should restart.
Go here and enable Google Chat and save your settings.
https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

Now make a call to your GV number. Does your OBi connected phone ring?

Studly

Quote from: Taoman on May 03, 2018, 12:58:32 PM
There are different things you can try to troubleshoot this but putting your OBi in front of your router in bridge mode isn't one I would recommend unless there is no alternative.

Why your incoming GV calls don't ring is a poser. I would try this:

Go to Voice Services for your Callcentric configuration and disable it. Your OBi should restart.
Go here and enable Google Chat and save your settings.
https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/redirection/voice/#phones

Now make a call to your GV number. Does your OBi connected phone ring?

Actually, before I tried your suggestion above, I did this and got my GV number to ring through on an incoming call: On the phone line with Google Voice incoming through CallCentric, I did more test phone calls and unplugged and replugged in my Panasonic cordless phone base unit that is connected through the Obi to that line, and now it rings through when someone calls our GV number.

So now the main problem seems to be calling out. Whether using Voip.MS (which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't) or GV (doesn't work at all ... you dial and then don't hear anything), the outgoing calls are the problem.